TTL's First look at the ASUS ARES III

TTL just released a video on their OC3D TV youtube channel: 

Giving us a first close-up of the new ASUS ARES III.   http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_rog_ares_iii_dual_290x_watercooled_gpu/1

Not much new information is given to us but given the length of time in between now and its last news I'd thought I'd share this.

Earlier news: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/162090-ares-iii/ June 5th

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/131054-asus-ares-iii-computex-2014/ march 24th

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/161393-asus-ares-iii-announced/ June 3rd

Here is some information given of the OC3D website itself. But I'd recommend watching the video for some gorgeous hardware pr0n.

From the start, the Ares is certainly different. The AMD 290X cards were some of the hottest we’d ever seen, and despite this in part being down to the shoddy cooler from AMD, the chips themselves certainly produced a lot of heat. Asus have opted for a fully watercooled solution on the Ares III with a custom made EK waterblock. Since again this is going to be a very high end product, and we’re sure will also carry a high price, we’re sure buyers will be able to afford a full custom watercooling loop if they are intending on buying one of these. However, this is of course going to mean that systems using an Ares III will be costing you a substantial amount of money in order to get the most out of it.

The block itself we do think looks great and as you’d expect it perfectly fits the PCB it’s made for. It has a large Ares logo on the card itself which is unlikely to be seen in a system, but the product as a whole looks incredible. The barb fitting points for the watercooling are on the top of the card at the front which is ideal for an aesthetic point of view, and we are told that a pair of suitable red and black fittings will be included with the card. Asus do promise that the Ares III runs 25% cooler than the AMD 295X, although this is really going to depend on the watercooling solution you’re running. Asus have also said that only 500 Ares IIIs will be sold which should make them fairly collectable in the future.

As far as performance goes, Asus promise between 15%-33% better performance depending which game/benchmark you’re running. Although a lot of this will be down to driver support at this early stage, performance we’re sure will be staggering. As you’d expect from any high end Asus card, we see the standard DIGI+ VRMs and a 16-Phase Super Alloy Power design, making the Ares III geared towards overclocking, so again we’re expecting to see some very impressive performance figures when it comes to review. The Ares does require three 8pin PCIE power conectors, and it does come with three red and black braided PCIE extension cables. Like the previous Ares cards, it comes in a metal carry case in order to add to the prestige of owning one of these.

The two cores come factory clocked at 1030MHz with a memory clock of 5000MHz. In total, the card has 8GB of memory, although as this is split between the two GPUs, the real-world useable memory is only 4GB, although this is still more than enough for the majority of users.

Some shots of this card

post-961-0-03188900-1409773331.jpgpost-961-0-98783900-1409773376.jpgpost-961-0-00450200-1409773391.jpgpost-961-0-61023500-1409773406.jpgpost-961-0-57064700-1409773418.jpgpost-961-0-60375900-1409773428.jpg

Personally I love the look of this card as it looks good from every angle.

A shame these are always released as a collectors item cause these cards always look gorgeous.

I'd love to see a decked out system with two of the beauties.

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

This is ASUS special edition R9 295X2. Looks sexy though

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

TTL backwards is LTT..

emrknjp.gif

OT: These cards are so craaaazy. They look fabulous though.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

damn, that has to be the sexiest waterblock ever put into a production graphics card and from ek, :o

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The heck is this Philips I thought you were a pirate?

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Yikes that is a good looking card... I'll take two.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

DhYOifq.jpg

My only reaction to this card.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

The heck is this Philips I thought you were a pirate?

Yarrrr,

I be getting what ye be sayin' me matey.

But not all be glad to see a free buccaneer the likes of me.

Like on me favoured waters where I be acting like a merchant vessel the moment I see a naval ship.

I be using clever speech tricks to disguise me character.

It be one of the reasons I be free to roam this forum.

This way I can avoid mods and justice alike.

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

Yarrrr,

Like on me favoured waters where I be acting like a merchant vessel the moment I see a naval ship.

I'd be one of the reasons I be free to roam this forum.

Me landlubber eyes see this.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Yarrrr,

It be one of the reasons I be free to roam this forum.

Heave ho!

You are from the future, the pirate day is on the 19th!

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

That is the most beautiful graphics card I have ever seen.  I was planning on waiting until Maxwell but I might go and try to get one of those. 

Creative Build Name Here

i7 3930K | Rampage IV Extreme | NH-U14S | GTX 680 x2 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Coolermaster 1000W | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Western Digital Black 2TB x2 | 12GB RAM Disk | HE-500 Headphones

All in the Fractal Design Define XL R2

That is the most beautiful graphics card I have ever seen.  I was planning on waiting until Maxwell but I might go and try to get one of those. 

there are only 500 of those,most of them are for the press,

and they are very expensive,so i doubt you'll get one.

And of course there's the greek letter -_- Every manufacturer ever.

It looks absolutely stunning though.And that case :wub:  $2k easily.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Nooooo Asus what are you thinking? Why would you have a dvi port on such a card? Surely you can afford a DP monitor (or at the very least a converter), if you can afford this card. If you are spending that amount of money, you would want adaptive sync on all your multimonitors. But this card only supports 1 AS monitor. The standard 295x2 has 4x mini display ports. Seriously Asus, this should come with 3-4x minidp and 1 hdmi port, nothing else.

Other than that, Asus really is the master of backplates. They are all so gorgeous. My 290 looks amazing, this one even more so. Very beautiful card. Such a shame about the lack of multiple DP's though.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I DONT CARE ABOUT THE STATS! I JUST WANT IT!!!

I have saved up for this goddamn Babe so i bloody better be able to fetch one before them 500 runs out.

They were planning to cut the 295x2 to 1000$ http://www.techpowerup.com/204802/amd-radeon-r9-295x2-to-get-promotional-price-open-to-all.html

Better wait before purchasing this one; bet it costs 2000$ just for a waterblock and single pcb.

They were planning to cut the 295x2 to 1000$ http://www.techpowerup.com/204802/amd-radeon-r9-295x2-to-get-promotional-price-open-to-all.html

Better wait before purchasing this one; bet it costs 2000$ just for a waterblock and single pcb.

I'm rich, I don't care.... Ok I'm not rich but I still Don't care, price will be around 1500 as the Ares 2 was... 1300 i think?

Honestly I doubt I'll be able to get one either way... "sigh"

I'm rich, I don't care.... Ok I'm not rich but I still Don't care, price will be around 1500 as the Ares 2 was... 1300 i think?

Honestly I doubt I'll be able to get one either way... "sigh"

The 7990 was 800-900$, the Ares 2 was 1500$. Atm the 295x2 is 1500$, this thing will be definitely above 1500$ by a lot. Why would you buy this thing when the best part of its looks is hidden in your case? Case with a 90° rotated MB would make a lot of sense for this card.

The 7990 was 800-900$, the Ares 2 was 1500$. Atm the 295x2 is 1500$, this thing will be definitely above 1500$ by a lot. Why would you buy this thing when the best part of its looks is hidden in your case? Case with a 90° rotated MB would make a lot of sense for this card.

There is more in this world then just pre build Cases. I have something in mind, and this kitten is perfect replacement for my gtx 690.

*LOL* like he's having a sex with that card... so darn hot

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.3ghz GPU: Asus GTX 770 Direct CU II SLI RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinums 4x4g 1866 PSU: Seasonic M12II 850w Bronze Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256g x 2 (Raid 0) - WDC Black 1tb Case: Corsair 500R