ARES III

Gauzl

Two 290x chips, and from a quick Google, more info than I can hold in one hand, provided on one nifty site.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

This is sort of related: If you put an aftermarket waterblock on a GPU (which causes the card itself to take up a single slot), does the GPU come with a single-slot bracket to allow the card to only take up one PCI-E slot? If not, can you get them elsewhere?

I ask because the ARES III is a single-slot card and the 295x2 can become a single-slot card with the aftermarket block from EK.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Too bad I recently upgraded to 2 GTX 780's, would love to have this card especially with the water block.

It'd be pretty nifty. I'm loving how they pushed it into a SINGLE slot form factor.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

Is anyone seeing that monitor: 144hz, 2560x1440, g-sync.

Coming in July. Yes, July.

Honestly, I'm more excited about that than the ARES III.

That monitor could be game changing

G-sync is sort of obsolete thanks to adaptive sync

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

G-sync is sort of obsolete thanks to adaptive sync

I think you're thinking of V-sync, which yes, is obsolete due to adaptive sync.

However, G-sync is a new technology which means we won't need adaptive sync OR V-sync.

G-Sync - Controls your monitor so that it only refreshes when there is a new frame ready to be displayed (variable refresh rate for your monitor).

V-Sync - Means your graphics card won't render more frames than your monitor is able to display (capped FPS output from the GPU).

EDIT: See below, post #11

This is sort of related: If you put an aftermarket waterblock on a GPU (which causes the card itself to take up a single slot), does the GPU come with a single-slot bracket to allow the card to only take up one PCI-E slot? If not, can you get them elsewhere?

I ask because the ARES III is a single-slot card and the 295x2 can become a single-slot card with the aftermarket block from EK.

Depends on the layout of the IO, most gpu's have stacked DVI plugs on one side, making them double slot cards whether they're under water or not.

You're thinking of V-sync, which yes, is obsolete due to adaptive sync.

However, G-sync is a new technology which means we won't need adaptive sync OR V-sync.

G-Sync - Controls your monitor so that it only refreshes when there is a new frame ready to be displayed (variable refresh rate for your monitor).

V-Sync - Means your graphics card won't render more frames than your monitor is able to display (capped FPS output from the GPU).

Nope, Adaptive-Sync (not to be confused with Nvidia's Adaptive-Vsync) is the same as Gsync

Adaptive-sync is how VESA calls AMD's Free-sync in the Displayport 1.2a standard.

Since Displayport is royalty free it makes Gsync kind of obsolete (expensive and limited availability).

Source

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

Nope, Adaptive-Sync (not to be confused with Nvidia's Adaptive-Vsync) is the same as Gsync

Adaptive-sync is how VESA calls AMD's Free-sync in the Displayport 1.2a standard.

Since Displayport is royalty free it makes Gsync kind of obsolete (expensive and limited availability).

Source

WHY ALL THE SAME NAMES FOR DIFFERENT TECHNOLOGIES! :(

Thanks. I didn't know this  :)

I've only heard of "freesync" and "Gsync" wrt to monitor refresh rates.

So yes @Sonefiler , looks like adaptive sync does make Gsync pretty obsolete