YouTube now lets you tip your favorite video makers

Akolyte

I predict in two weeks, we'll find out that YT keeps 40% of the profits.

Already possible using Bitcoin and changetip, all with zero fees for the sender and receiver, it's also available worldwide with no restrictions (not just the couple countries listed by youtube).

okay. 

I predict in two weeks, we'll find out that YT keeps 40% of the profits.

If that's the case...

I'll...  I'll do nothing, but I'll feel angry.

If that's the case...

I'll...  I'll do nothing, but I'll feel angry.

I'll definitely tip some YTers I like, but I feel like them getting 100% of the profits would negate the reason for YouTube doing this in the first place.

I'll definitely tip some YTers I like, but I feel like them getting 100% of the profits would negate the reason for YouTube doing this in the first place.

Well, I personally think its to get Youtubers relying on YouTube as thier income.  So they make more videos, work harder on videos and get more views so YouTube can make more money, I personally beileve its a strategic move.

Yeah, but YouTube needs to make a little money too.   As long as most of it goes to Linus I'm pretty happy. 

Why? They make money on everything else. If they made it a simple Google Wallet to Google Wallet transaction they'd basically have no work to do at all.

They're taking quite a bit. Say most people donate a dollar. That's 26% of the donation.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Why? They make money on everything else. If they made it a simple Google Wallet to Google Wallet transaction they'd basically have no work to do at all.

They're taking quite a bit. Say most people donate a dollar. That's 26% of the donation.

:o  Maybe its so they can get your bank info and give it to the NSA!

:o  Maybe its so they can get your bank info and give it to the NSA!

They'd be pretty disappointed.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

They'd be pretty disappointed.

yeah, but the NSA don't care.  They want EVERYTHING

This will be all fun and games until YouTubers start withholding content due to lack of tips.

I can see it now...

"We didn't reach our $2000 tip goal, so you guys don't get to see my The Elder Scrolls VII: Akavir videos!"

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

This will be all fun and games until YouTubers start withholding content due to lack of tips.

I can see it now...

"We didn't reach our $2000 tip goal, so you guys don't get to see my The Elder Scrolls VII: Akavir videos!"

If they do that they are dicks and aren't worth watching.

Awesome!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

If they do that they are dicks and aren't worth watching.

I'm worried about the bigger YouTubers doing this. If they're smaller and have hardly any subscribers, then it won't hurt many people and it won't matter as much. If it's someone like PewDiePie or Seananners, hoooooly shiit that would piss a lot of people off.

I'm worried about the bigger YouTubers doing this. If they're smaller and have hardly any subscribers, then it won't hurt many people and it won't matter as much. If it's someone like PewDiePie or Seananners, hoooooly shiit that would piss a lot of people off.

But, Comments, subs and liking are free.  Anyone who does this is like saying everyone pay me, if I don't get enough payments no videos.  Its like they are forcing people to PAY hard earned money to get a video.

I don't care about who does this, if anyone does this big or not big they are dicks.

But, Comments, subs and liking are free.  Anyone who does this is like saying everyone pay me, if I don't get enough payments no videos.  Its like they are forcing people to PAY hard earned money to get a video.

I don't care about who does this, if anyone does this big or not big they are dicks.

I don't really understand your point with your first bit, but I'm not disagreeing with your second bit. I'm saying it will matter less if the YouTuber is smaller.

...and.

Linus has over 1,000 subs.

And why would he need your charity? He has a big channel, his own business and makes good stacks every month.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

And why would he need your charity? He has a big channel, his own business and makes good stacks every month.

because of improvements to the equipment and stuff.  And he has to pay the rest of Linus Media Group too.   Not only that but to show support.   Linus already has the ability to contribute on the Forum, so Linus is already accepting donations and contributions.  So theres no reason why the YouTube tips couldn't be a help too.

Either way, I'm not really sure what you mean.  But, I hope I answered it. 

I don't really understand your point with your first bit, but I'm not disagreeing with your second bit. I'm saying it will matter less if the YouTuber is smaller.

okay.  Well, what I was saying is that if someone is going to demand for money for them to provide videos they are already making money off of, I don't think thats cool.   Not only that, but if they don't reach their goal, they keep the money.  So, its technically unfair too.  Once again.  Not a cool move.  

And my first bit was saying that likes and comments are free to give, you can cllck the like button for no cost.  When someone demands a certain ammount of money by a large audience with no refunds, thats not free.  The ask for likes and comments to get their videos higher on the list and also to see whether you like it or not. 

I'd tap TIP Luke

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

okay.  Well, what I was saying is that if someone is going to demand for money for them to provide videos they are already making money off of, I don't think thats cool.   Not only that, but if they don't reach their goal, they keep the money.  So, its technically unfair too.  Once again.  Not a cool move.  

And my first bit was saying that likes and comments are free to give, you can cllck the like button for no cost.  When someone demands a certain ammount of money by a large audience with no refunds, thats not free.  The ask for likes and comments to get their videos higher on the list and also to see whether you like it or not. 

It feels like we're arguing but we agree... Are we... Discussing? This feels strange and alien to me. This should not be happening on the internet! :angry:

Why not?

Lol everyone tip Linus, but in pizza. Or free window units.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs