Skylake News [update 9-14]

patrickjp93

Riiiight.....look at that sexy new r9 285 thats weaker....than the r9 280....

That card is more important for the mobile division, its supposed to replace the 7970m, its weaker than the 280x, but it also uses about 70% the power

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Intel has confirmed FULL DX12.0 support at the hardware level for Skylake.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/DirectX-12-Software-255525/News/Skylake-Prozessorgrafik-erst-echte-DirectX-12-Hardware-1135515/

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

DDR4?

DDR4 AND DDR3 support.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

AMD can already make stronger GPU's than intel, now there is nothing stoping them from putting a R9 280x or 280 just because they can.

Nominally as much FLOPs as AMD Radeon R7 265? Even if true, I doubt it will achieve similar performance. If only due to more aggressive throttling from small power envelope.

As for APU, I think AMD needs to get a GCN 1.2 based design in. It appears more power efficient.

AMD can already make stronger GPU's than intel, now there is nothing stoping them from putting a R9 280x or 280 just because they can.

AMD CURRENTLY can, and that's because Intel has been focused on GPGPU compute to shove Nvidia's Teslas clean out of the supercomputer world as well as ensure AMD's HSA doesn't take off there either.

With that done, Intel is not about to let laptops go to AMD either. Intel's disadvantages in graphics stem from not having tessellation, polymorph, and other standard engines in Haswell.

Broadwell provides a 2.4x compute performance margin against Haswell, which I imagine will translate to a 1.7x graphics performance improvement, and Intel is releasing new drivers too. AMD is stuck at 28nm for Carrizo, meaning even if they pull off hybrid XFire with a 295x2, it won't help them one lick in the mobile world.

Nominally as much FLOPs as AMD Radeon R7 265? Even if true, I doubt it will achieve similar performance. If only due to more aggressive throttling from small power envelope.

As for APU, I think AMD needs to get a GCN 1.2 based design in. It appears more power efficient.

Intel has already confirmed Broadwell's top SKU gets a whopping 2TFlops at 1.0 GHz. That's half of Nvidia's best Tesla compute card. AMD is in serious trouble, no matter which side of the aisle you stand on. Intel has shoved 2 million lines of code to the Linux distros for Skylake support as well, meaning it's going after SteamOS gamers as well. Finally we'll see Nvidia and AMD get off their asses in the dGPU competition too.

GCN 1.1 is super power hungry. I doubt 1.2 is going to drastically change that.

of course this post is full of people hoping amd goes out of business because having no competition for intel and allowing them to charge a lot for low performance and not advancing will make everyone happy right

of course this post is full of people hoping amd goes out of business because having no competition for intel and allowing them to charge a lot for low performance and not advancing will make everyone happy right

No, and in fact I worry about that scenario, but AMD just doesn't produce anything that pressures Intel in a timely fashion. HSA is being swallowed up because AMD couldn't get big developers behind it. Skylake catches Intel up to Kaveri, which is 90% HSA-complete. All Carrizo does is reduce CPU overhead on scheduling for the GPU cores (not that much overhead anyway since there was no memory copying required) and possibly bring high-bandwidth memory, which will not come cheap unless AMD sells at skin-of-teeth margins OR sells it to server/supercomputer people first (wiser decision) to get a jump on Intel whose release schedule is still mobile, desktop, embedded, enthusiast, server.

If AMD proved it had the leadership at the helm it needed to be a true competitor, I'd sell my 4000 Intel shares (since 1998) in a heartbeat. I'm still faithfully waiting.

• 2 months later...

No, and in fact I worry about that scenario, but AMD just doesn't produce anything that pressures Intel in a timely fashion. HSA is being swallowed up because AMD couldn't get big developers behind it. Skylake catches Intel up to Kaveri, which is 90% HSA-complete. All Carrizo does is reduce CPU overhead on scheduling for the GPU cores (not that much overhead anyway since there was no memory copying required) and possibly bring high-bandwidth memory, which will not come cheap unless AMD sells at skin-of-teeth margins OR sells it to server/supercomputer people first (wiser decision) to get a jump on Intel whose release schedule is still mobile, desktop, embedded, enthusiast, server.

If AMD proved it had the leadership at the helm it needed to be a true competitor, I'd sell my 4000 Intel shares (since 1998) in a heartbeat. I'm still faithfully waiting.

totaly agree ... intel and nvidia slowly destroying AMD ... and no im not happy (im not fan of any of them ... had in past intel and had in past amd (socketA +1800 i think and first 64 bit cpu who suport 32bit from amd .. i forgot name wos long time ago) but thos are facts ... for example new gtx 970 from gigabit can be oc to 1500 mhz and its stronger  then r9 290x or oc gtx 780 and cost less and gpu TDP is for 100watt less ... on CPu amd stending even worst  APU standing bearly whill FX serie is complit waste of mony ... as i say im very sad cos thers noting better for end costumers then good competition and i would be more then happy thers actualy even several brends cos at end it would force tehnology even more forword and prices would be cut down even more ... sadly thats not case

PS. sory for my bad english ... its not my mature langue and i never learn it

NECROOOOOOO!

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Riiiight.....look at that sexy new r9 285 thats weaker....than the r9 280....

It's not... Did you mean 280X? If so, it wasn't meant to beat that in the first place.

It's not... Did you mean 280X? If so, it wasn't meant to beat that in the first place.

Necro much?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

when was aprox. date for broadwell launch btw? I'm getting confused... is it Q2 2015?

when was aprox. date for broadwell launch btw? I'm getting confused... is it Q2 2015?

Broadwell Desktop? Q2 2015. Core M is launched and in consumer hands. U launches Q1, which H launching very late Q1 to Q2. Broadwell K is Q2 with no Broadwell S. Then Broadwell-E comes in 2016.

• 3 months later...

I'm sweating.. This is SOOOO gonna be my next upgrade no doubt about it.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I'm sweating.. This is SOOOO gonna be my next upgrade no doubt about it.

Give AMD a chance to show what it has in Zen if you can. If you're on SandyBridge you can afford to see what's in the deck in 2016. I feel a lot of people who jump on Skylake early will have some buyer's remorse if Zen shows it's a worthy competitor (even if not on total per-core performance parity with Skylake).

Give AMD a chance to show what it has in Zen if you can. If you're on SandyBridge you can afford to see what's in the deck in 2016. I feel a lot of people who jump on Skylake early will have some buyer's remorse if Zen shows it's a worthy competitor (even if not on total per-core performance parity with Skylake).

I got time.. ;D

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I cant stand intel GPU in my intel CPU GTFO intel,i want better processor dont need your craphics.