Parents and Video Games

FloRolf

If she begins to rely on this method to play games, it may interfere with your PC time.

yeah true :D

but i'm building her a nice rig right now so that should be good. Still have a problem with family sharing then tho because it alwys occupies the whole game library and not only the game being played >.<

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

My dad plays Real Racing 3 once in a while on his 5S, and as for my mom, she sometimes forgets how to turn her 5C on.

My parents are too old fashioned to even think about it.

Yes my mom played Farmville for about a year and my dad beat a game in a night, but they never played them again.

my mom played the shit out of plants vs zombies

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

my dad plays LOADS of word of tanks 

Word of tanks. Because tanks speak.

fuck logic

My dad used to play Tomb Raider with my brother on the PS1, but now he only plays FIFA with me. I once got him to play Goldeneye:Reloaded with me, I don't think he liked it that much though...

Word of tanks. Because tanks speak.

fuck logic

sorry grammar error it was meant to say world of tanks  

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

My mom started with FreeCell, that card game that came with windows XP... played that for years.. for the past few months she player Bejeweled 2, Peggle.. other casual games.
Now she's playing Shatter and she's BAD at it.
I tried to get her to play older games on an emulator, but even if I created a shortcut that immediately launch the game from the desktop, she never touches it.

We even have over 150 games on the Wii(Wii and Arcade games combined) and she's not touching a single one of them... other than Kirby Epic Yarn (bad at it, calls me to do it for her all the time...) and the good old Super Mario 3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My dad just recently started gaming. He started playing call of duty 2 with his friends and then also started playing some other games. Only problem for him: his MacBook can't handle battlefield 4(he's playing in a virtual machine). This means that he has to play it on my pc :P.

Luckily he wants to get his own gaming pc and he asked me to configure him a good one and build it. What I currently have planned for him is a Z97 mainboard with a i7-4790k and something between the GTX 760 and the GTX 870. I also think I will give it water cooling, because he cares a lot about it being silent. I will wait until the GTX-800 series GPUs are released before making any final decisions.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

No they are pretty much against games and tell me not to kill people in games weird isn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

My Dad has this old arcade-style machine that he built. It's just a basic PC with an emulator that is a bit like a table with a screen in it. You get a couple of pints, sit across from each other and have a good game of something like robotron or frogger.

Similar to this:

51054_large.jpg

When I was little, my dad used to play Counter Strike with me. At that time I didn't like videogames at all but he bought me a GBA and a computer. He said that videogames teach you and give you good reflexes. He is the best dad ever!!

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-4690K  MOBO: Asus Z97 PRO  RAM: 16GB Kingston GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 980 CASE: Cooler Master SSD: Samsung EVO 850 240GB  HDD: 2TB WD Red PSU: CX750M  CPU COOLER: 212 Evo CASE FANS: Cooler Master

My dad used to be a gamer. In 2004 he built a gaming PC with a Pentium 4 and a Radeon 9600 Pro. When I got my i3 rig, he used to game on that a lot. Now he doesn't really game anymore and will swicth to Linux sometime.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

My mom was bored one day couple months ago and she started playing super mario on the gameboy advance lol.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

speaking as a 44 yr old.  I love video games myself.  I'm not nearly as good as the kids though.  I'm good at strategy games that do not require quick reflexes... RPGs and RTS games I'm good at.  I like single player campaigns where I don't have to compete against the fast reflexes of real players who are much better than I.  I like to go slow and take my time.

I love boardgames like chess, checkers, scrabble, monopoly, risk, catan, ticket to ride, etc

I imagine most adults over middle age are similar.  We like video games but lack the quick reflexes to be contenders.  We are more of a sideshow and comedy act for the kids to laugh at.

Grandparents (like my mom and dad age) who are over 65 are probably little interested in video games, having not grown up with them.  They like more to watch the grandkids play and enjoy seeing them laugh and have fun.

Sooooo,

i already got my mom to the point where she wants to try Portal (we suggested it since its pretty much the best game ever made) but now i have the following problem:

I don't want to buy it for her (cause i want her to try some other games too :P) and i don't want to give her my steam account directly PLUS her Notebook is crap and wouldn't even handle it but she would prefer gaming on her notebook over gaming on my rig (while i'm at work)

So i thought i would:

1. Create a Steam Account for her

2. Give her Account full access to my games (Family Share)

3. Log into her account on my PC

4. Log into her account on her Laptop

5. Start Gamestream on my PC

6. Game on her Laptop

7. Profit.

Do you think there's a better way to do it or is this the non plus ultra for my case?

Greetings! :)

Attaching a Poll to see if your Moms/Parents play Video Games (Candy Crush doesn't count) ;)

when you say profit... your going to charge her?

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

when you say profit... your going to charge her?

Sure thing, 1h playing is 10 bucks.

/jk of course not lol.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

Sure thing, 1h playing is 10 bucks.

/jk of course not lol.

i wwas gonna say :0 i would never charge my parent lmao!

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

My mom gets dizzy looking at first-person games. That would be a no.

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

I played a game with my mom once, ONCE. It was Halo CE and after about an hour she had the controls down and we were rolling through the single player pretty quickly and she suddenly runs in front of me when I was lining up a shot with a launcher and the rocket hit her in the back of her head. She's blamed me for it ever since saying that I did it on purpose and we've never played a game since. I long ago stopped asking if she wanted to play anything because she brings that up every time and says no.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

FYI:

the idea i had in the main post worked out pretty darn good. Only problem i have is that she won't play games on english and when you set it to german when streaming it sets it to german on my rig too. But whatever, not too much of an issue.

Changing the Topic to Parents and Gaming to change the discussion in that direction even more ;)

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

I've gotten my dad to play a couple of racing games and fifa but thats about it.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Well you do realise that most of you (especially who replied no) will be parents sooner or later :D

It's a mix bag. My parents do game when they have time and used to do with me. It never was the type of commercial game that only promote violence and sexuality, but those that do have solid background (Total War anyone ? - the first series mind you :P)

Now consider this .. Nowadays most kids game on a tablet (kudos to those that play actual pc/console games and even arcade games that are still enjoyable). We all know the general quality of most of them and I can hardly ever consider playing them with my kid in future. It's just not going to happen.

There should be a strong separation between time killers and the ones that you can actually enjoy playing with your family/friends.

When I was younger my Dad set up 3 PCs for myself, my brother and him to play Quake and Duke Nukem together. Those were fun times. However he moved away from gaming for some reason, and recently I tried to revive his love of games by putting a GTX660 in a HP pre-built, giving him a Steam account, buying him a few games and for the first couple of weeks he played them a lot, but now he never touches it. 

So now I play it instead.