Plane evacuated after passenger’s iPhone 5 catches on fire

ETRJ

You never know when your pocket will burst into flames, it seems – we’re learning today of an incident that occurred on a Prague-bound flight where a passenger’s burning iPhone 5 caused the entire airplane to be evacuated.

According to a report from TN CZ, about 150 passengers were preparing for a departure from Tel Aviv when smoke started coming from a woman’s handbag. After flames popped up, the jet’s crew decided to evacuate all of the passengers back into the main terminal building in the Tel Aviv airport (what a relief the plane hadn’t departed just yet).

After all the passengers were moved to a safe place, the bag — which had to remain in Tel Aviv — was closely inspected and it was deduced that an iPhone 5 was the culprit in this flaming handbag story. It’s unclear what caused the phone to light up, but it’s quite possible that it could have been serviced by someone unauthorized by Apple; this wouldn’t be the first time a third-party battery has caused explosions and the like.

The burning iPhone 5 joins a variety of other incidents, such as when that iPad Air which exploded in Australia, and when an iPhone 5c set a girl’s pants on fire, in Apple explosion history.

http://pocketnow.com/2014/08/18/burning-iphone-5-plane-evacuation

Setting a someone's bag on fire - There's an app for that!

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Why evacuate a plane when you could just grab the bag and carry it.

Yea I thought the same thing when I was first reading but if you think about it, evacuating the plane was the smarter decision since it could have been an IED. Better safe than sorry.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Yea I thought the same thing when I was first reading but if you think about it, evacuating the plane was the smarter decision since it could have been an IED. Better safe than sorry.

If it was an organized terrorist attack it wouldnt be an "IED"

It's Israel, I expect any kind of incident results in a grounding.

This. A spoon falls on the ground and everyone ducks.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

This. A spoon falls on the ground and everyone ducks.  :lol:

I would assume the US would do the same thing.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If Apple's warranty/service is so great, why did she take it to a third party store to get it repaired?

And yes, I will from now on point out any incident of Apple's warranty/service being anything other than good because I am so sick and tired of people parroting that bullshit.

Other than that it's not really anything terribly bad about this story. Phones catches on fire quite frequently (especially if they have low quality replacement batteries) and it was just bad luck it happened while on an airplane. It could have ended quite badly it if had been in flight.

Why evacuate a plane when you could just grab the bag and carry it.

Yeah, why be cautious and make sure there isn't a serious threat to over 100 people in a confined space? Pffft, standard security procedures, F that amirite...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

because you would rather risk the plane then risk the people

I worry about my phone too(Note 3), actually. Not that I'm using a third party battery but because it gets really warm when in heavy use and coupled with the high environmental temperature the phone gets too hot.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Yeah, why be cautious and make sure there isn't a serious threat to over 100 people in a confined space? Pffft, standard security procedures, F that amirite...

I think the point he was making is that it is much easier and quicker to throw a single device off the plane than it is to evacuate 100 people single-file through one door. Why not get the potential threat away from the people as fast as possible?

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

If Apple's warranty/service is so great, why did she take it to a third party store to get it repaired?

And yes, I will from now on point out any incident of Apple's warranty/service being anything other than good because I am so sick and tired of people parroting that bullshit.

so i used to work for applecare, doing computer and application support (not phones). and dont get me wrong, i despise apple and everything they stand for. but i give credit where credit is due.  IF you actually purchase the applecare protection plan on your device, their support is pretty much outstanding. its expensive though, but i'd rather have that than best buys BlackTie protection or anything else.  its not a bad service if you can afford it. people go elsewhere cuz they didnt think they would need it, and then its too late to get it. and the repairs are cheaper at your local repair shop.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Planes should change the percentage of oxygen in the pressurized cabin to 15%.  Though this doesn't really stop all reactions from "flaming", it would make things much safer.

So aerospace engineers...4221196+_c2ca8e764ec55f996b882edcbd95dc3

#extremearrogance

If it was an organized terrorist attack it wouldnt be an "IED"

First off, what exactly defines an "organized terrorist attack?" Secondly, how would they get their hands on anything other than an IED?

Because she had voided her warranty on it? Because she was stupid?

There are so many other answers to that question besides "Apple's service sucks" it's hilarious (though expected) that you would choose that one. Clearly you had a bad experience with Apple support or something, but with everyone I know it has been nothing short of outstanding. They even replaced my 5s at the AppleCare price when I didn't have AppleCare! Their training service is great too, how many other companies will teach you how to use their product in the store for only $99 a year?

Honestly you just don't give them any credit for anything.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I think the point he was making is that it is much easier and quicker to throw a single device off the plane than it is to evacuate 100 people single-file through one door. Why not get the potential threat away from the people as fast as possible?

But they did not know exactly what it was nor if it was some kind of planned attack with possibly more devices...

Evacuations aren't done through one door, they must have opened all the emergency exits, nowhere in the article does it say that everyone was forced out via one door...that would be against the protocol.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Because she had voided her warranty on it? Because she was stupid?

There are so many other answers to that question besides "Apple's service sucks" it's hilarious (though expected) that you would choose that one. Clearly you had a bad experience with Apple support or something, but with everyone I know it has been nothing short of outstanding. They even replaced my 5s at the AppleCare price when I didn't have AppleCare! Their training service is great too, how many other companies will teach you how to use their product in the store for only $99 a year?

Honestly you just don't give them any credit for anything.

I give them credit when they deserve it. For example I have given them a ton of credit for Cyclone. I don't think having to pay to be able to pay when your device breaks classifies as a "great warranty". A great warranty would be for example HTC's warraty where they replace a shattered screen for free, or Asus' accidental damage warranty which covers things like drops, spilling water and so on.

Not giving my opinion on their service either way

But if it was out of warranty, then an iPhone batter replacement at apple is alot more money than third party

UK example, Service arranged through Apple costs £ 55.00. And £ 7.44 shipping

iPhone battery on ebay £7.89 with all tools included (screwdrivers and spudgers)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Planes should change the percentage of oxygen in the pressurized cabin to 15%.  Though this doesn't really stop all reactions from "flaming", it would make things much safer.

So aerospace engineers...4221196+_c2ca8e764ec55f996b882edcbd95dc3

#extremearrogance

Apart from the fact that the it would cost an extreme amount to do this (beyond the realms of viability) all the passengers would suffer altitude sickness.  Heart rates up (attacks for the old), shortness of breath, anxiety symptoms etc. swelling of hands and feet.   Not a good idea.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I give them credit when they deserve it. For example I have given them a ton of credit for Cyclone. I don't think having to pay to be able to pay when your device breaks classifies as a "great warranty". A great warranty would be for example HTC's warraty where they replace a shattered screen for free, or Asus' accidental damage warranty which covers things like drops, spilling water and so on.

Apple's warranty doesn't just cover cracked screen, it covers any accidental or otherwise damage whatsoever. HTC's only works for the first six months, Apple's works for two years. Asus's warranty does seem to be quite good though.

What I mean by great service is that they often just give you what you want the first time if you ask the genius nicely. It's also very easy to get someone on the phone about an issue, though I can't say the same for my Windows laptops. I've never had a good experience with Dell, the hard drive failed in my Inspiron twice and they begrudgingly fixed it, this was after only owning it for three months.

Do they not deserve credit for inventing the smartphone as we know it today? Do they not deserve credit for making laptops that you can't spec match PCs with at a reasonable price? Do they not deserve credit for creating a new programming language specifically for their developers?

I give credit where credit is due with Android and Windows Phone OEMs too. HTC makes truly great hardware, and I've heard Sense is considered one of the best Android skins. The Lumia 1020 took a radical chance with the camera, and it paid off for them. I very strongly appreciate what Blackphone is doing as well. I think Android is a fine platform, I just don't think Samsung is making the best stuff out there and subjectively speaking the OS is not for me.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Apple's warranty doesn't just cover cracked screen, it covers any accidental or otherwise damage whatsoever. HTC's only works for the first six months, Apple's works for two years. Asus's warranty does seem to be quite good though.

But you won't get your screen replaced for free with Apple. You just won't... I've had many friends who have tried and they have wanted a few hundred dollars to get it repaired. HTC does it for free.

After the 6 months you can still get your HTC phone repaired for a fee, just like with Apple.

What I mean by great service is that they often just give you what you want the first time if you ask the genius nicely. It's also very easy to get someone on the phone about an issue, though I can't say the same for my Windows laptops. I've never had a good experience with Dell, the hard drive failed in my Inspiron twice and they begrudgingly fixed it, this was after only owning it for three months.

Not sure about the US but that would never fly here in EU/Sweden. We have very strong laws protecting customers. In fact, Apple's was forced to highlight that all electronics in EU has to have at least a 2 year warranty. Apple only offered 1 and then tried to sell AppleCare. Someone took it to the Italian court and Apple lost.

Do they not deserve credit for inventing the smartphone as we know it today? Do they not deserve credit for making laptops that you can't spec match PCs with at a reasonable price? Do they not deserve credit for creating a new programming language specifically for their developers?

I am not going to list all the times Apple has deserved credit but I will address your points:

They deserve some credit for making the smartphone. We already had very similar phones on the market before the iPhone but Apple's marketing power really helped it bring it to the mainstream.

I don't think any Apple laptop is reasonably priced so I don't really agree with you on the premise but yes, you will have a hard time finding a similar laptop for roughly the same price or lower.

No they don't deserve credit for the Swift programming language because it's shit. It's even slower than Python for crying out loud. If it was good then I would give them credit, but it's not.

Apart from the fact that the it would cost an extreme amount to do this (beyond the realms of viability)

We're talking about vehicles whose cost range from 150 million to 410 million. But I'll take your word for it...

all the passengers would suffer altitude sickness.

"The bends" is pressure related and not determined by the percentages of gases in the artificial atmo, and the problem there is nitrogen not oxygen.(to my knowledge)

But, I'll take your word for it...

Heart rates up (attacks for the old), shortness of breath, anxiety symptoms etc. swelling of hands and feet.   Not a good idea.

I think your confusing pressure and the percentages of gasses in the atmosphere of the cabin as being the issue most of the time.

Although my "suggestion" would be trading one set of problems for another set, it helps fight that pretty scary fire issue aircrafts have.

But, I'll take your word for it...