Google blimps will carry wireless signal across Africa

LOGO.jpg

Search giant Google is intending to build huge wireless networks across Africa and Asia, using high-altitude balloons and blimps.

googleblimp.jpg

I don't really have any personal input apart from quoting one of my tags: "what's google up to now?"

Just shows how awesome Google really is!

Source: Wired

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

coming from Africa, any news about development back there is good to me, am glad google is not neglecting Africa 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

coming from Africa, any news about development back there is good to me, am glad good is not neglecting Africa 

I agree (assuming that you meant "glad Google is not neglecting Africa").

I agree (assuming that you meant "glad Google is not neglecting Africa").

yeah google thanx

Google seriously has way too much time and money, great news for Africa but I question why Google is doing this.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Google seriously has way too much time and money, great news for Africa but I question why Google is doing this.

At least they spend their money wisely, unlike most people.

At least they spend their money wisely, unlike most people.

Depends sometimes they do waste it. I do look forward to seeing where Google goes with this.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Depends sometimes they do waste it. I do look forward to seeing where Google goes with this.

I don't know of any time they've wasted it, but I meant that they generally make wise decisions with their investments.

Great invention by google as always

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

I don't know of any time they've wasted it, but I meant that they generally make wise decisions with their investments.

Nexus Q...

I kid

I kid

Imma Lurker

Africa get's better internet, Google gets more users, win-win.

That is, if this succeeds. I do like the fact that Google isn't afraid of throwing money in order to experiment on such things, I mean it's not like they can't make the money back and this can only further help their reputation.

They could also use one for large event´s (concerts and stuff)

Right now they need to use a mobile wifi tower, but a blimp would do the trick and it´s nice advertisement for google. 

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Nexus Q...

I kid

I kid

Sure you can point out the most secluded failures, but their biggest investments in their data centers, Android, Chrome, etc. were extremely successful. Not to mention that they revolutionized the future because of these wise decisions.

Google=Weyland

Just my two cents worth :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Hope people did not chase the blimp every time they want use twitter.

Sure you can point out the most secluded failures, but their biggest investments in their data centers, Android, Chrome, etc. were extremely successful. Not to mention that they revolutionized the future because of these wise decisions.

I concede defeat. 

LOL

Imma Lurker

Or shoot it down so that they can get closer to it.  :P

Or when someone is intensely gaming and they lose their connection and get disconnected. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I love Google.

This looks ridiculous lol

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Google=Weyland

Just my two cents worth :P

oh great!!!  then that will mean in the future  we'll be getting Ash running android fruit cake 10.1

oh great!!!  then that will mean in the future  we'll be getting Ash running android fruit cake 10.1

I did not think of this, thats awesome.

inb4 our phones impregnate us in a crappy prequel

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."