Google blimps will carry wireless signal across Africa

The company is intending to finance, build and help operate networks from sub-Saharan Africa to Southeast Asia, with the aim of connecting around a billion people to the web.

To help enable the campaign, Google has been putting together an ecosystem of low-cost smartphones running Android on low-power microprocessors. Rather than traditional infrastructure, Google's signal will be carried by high-altitude platforms - balloons and blimps - that can transmit to areas of hundreds of square kilometres.

Source

Very cool.

ah. That's what I get for not using the search feature!

ah. That's what I get for not using the search feature!

Lesson leared I guess.   :)

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

Anyone seen this? Google bringing the internet to africa! Using their advertising heavy blimp! Another step to overtaking the world..

isaf_2574878b.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/10084512/Google-blimps-will-bring-the-web-to-Africa.html

CPU: i5 3570k                                 PSU: CX650 Corsair                 SSD: 128GB Samsung 840

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance     Case: Zalman Z11                    HDD: 500Gb Toshiba & 1TB Western Digital

MOBO: ASrock Extreme 4 Z77        GPU: GTX 770

All i can think of right now is this :

Msq6MHE.png

And with google, i'm completely fine with it.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting. You'll find the link at the bottom of this post. While the idea on paper seems great...how good would it be in practice? Leave your comments below.(and please have a peaceful discussion) So one advantage to this idea is areas that don't have WiFi would have it, like deserts and areas of similar nature. Apparently it's called Project Loon as stated here in the article, and loon it might just be....

What is Project Loon exactly? Only a plan to get hundreds and thousands of high-pressure balloons to circle the Earth and given internet to billions of people on Earth. It's part of Google's famed Google X Lab which is bringing the world Google Glass and self-driving cars.

Now, one thing that comes to mind would also be the method at which the balloons would be controlled. According to the article, through variable buoyancy. Another quote from the article...

How the heck will Google control the balloons? Variable buoyancy, apparently. It means steering by tweaking altitude to find desirable wind currents. That sounds like guessing to me but whatever Google insists it's controlled better than that. Google lets the balloons fly naturally but also moves them up or down to catch winds in the direction Google wants the balloons to travel in. The balloons will be carried by wind at altitudes twice as high as planes and "beam Internet access to the ground at speeds similar to today’s 3G networks or faster."

http://gizmodo.com/google-wants-to-use-balloons-to-cover-the-world-in-wi-f-513537918?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This is interesting. You'll find the link at the bottom of this post. While the idea on paper seems great...how good would it be in practice? Leave your comments below.(and please have a peaceful discussion) So one advantage to this idea is areas that don't have WiFi would have it, like deserts and areas of similar nature. Apparently it's called Project Loon as stated here in the article, and loon it might just be....

Now, one thing that comes to mind would also be the method at which the balloons would be controlled. According to the article, through variable buoyancy. Another quote from the article...

http://gizmodo.com/google-wants-to-use-balloons-to-cover-the-world-in-wi-f-513537918?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I think its a really good idea. 

ok but what about when the balloons come down. cause they cant stay up for ever. i think its just not cost effective at all. but still love the idea :D

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

ok but what about when the balloons come down. cause they cant stay up for ever. i think its just not cost effective at all. but still love the idea :D

Maybe we can find a way to keep them afloat up there.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Well, they can just fill her back up. I'm sure they'll only use hydrogen, or maybe helium, which is cheap.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

This is an excellent idea! If we have this we don't need to buy mobile data anymore since there is wifi everywhere :D

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Off topic, but what would happen with the whole UFO thing? If someone wasn't aware of this...and they saw these everywhere...would they think it's a UFO?(of course, it is technically)

I don't think you could actually see them - twice the altitude of commercial air flights, and something tells me they won't be even close to an Airbus in size... so don't worry about supersticious people mistaking them for UFOs and freaking out, they won't  :D

My personal opinion: if anyone can deliver 3G speeds from 20km away, it's Google. And I still doubt that's possible, but it is up to them to disprove me now  :P

Google wants to do a lot it seems

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Why wants to do a lot it seems

What?

What?

I am tired as hell sorry lol I edited it

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

if they use helium (which is the only real option as hydrogen is flammable) they might run into other problems, as there is a world wide helium shortage, and helium dos not grow back

CPU: i5 3570K @4.5GHz    GPU: R9 290   MOBO: ASUS p8z77-v  RAM: 8Gb corsair vengence   CASE: ARC MIDI  PSU: XFX pro 550W  HDD: 2tb segate baracuda

I searched nothing came up.

Google's Project Loon

http://www.google.com/loon/

So Google loon is internet for the entire world delivered by balloons floating in the stratosphere. The reason why they are doing this is to give the world internet and so they are sending off a bunch of balloons to 20Km in the air and are hoping to Give the world internet. 

Now i think this is really cool but i cant help but feel that this is just a "Look at what we can do!" type things but it is cool!

{Source}

I did originally find this on reddit so some of you may have seen this already. http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/1gdsy3/google_introduces_project_loon_balloonpowered/

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I searched and nothing showed up so, not my fault :D

Lol, already posted

You little..

lol

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"