Is there a reason for american units of measurement to make no sense at all?

Tro

I was wondering why the hell they made it so unnecessarily complicated,  I mean, It doesn't make any sense. I understand that americans are used to it so this topic.

Anyways, what do you guys think of this way of measuring things and stuff, another example is Fahrenheit or whatever, I think Celcius makes so much more sense since 0 degrees = freezing point and 100 degrees = boiling point for water.

I'm not trying to insult any americans, only the american that came up with these units of measurement. I'm just asking for your opinion about it.

post-18844-0-11413100-1408208147.png

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Another thing that I hate is having to use both systems in school. There is only like 5 countries (Don't quote me on that) that still use the imperial system. Just drop it already!

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

REAL MEN MEASURE TEMPERATURE IN RANKINE!

But yeah, it is silly. Unfortunately, it's just what people are used to. Still, what I'm a little puzzed about is why some places like the UK mix and match. Speed limits in miles per hour, but selling petrol in pounds per litre, etc...

Well, Fahrenheit wasn't American. I use the metric system whenever I can. Problem is I'd look like a tosser if I were talking with someone and they asked for unit conversions.

Ha, I've thought about this as well. Traditions die hard, I guess. But really the system makes no sense compared to the linear units-of-10-based metric system. :P

Do Americans weigh Stones or have I misunderstood something+

When has the US ever been practical or logical? :P

Pew pew, shots fired! 

586Cover.jpg

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Somewhat on topic, there's also been something I've been a little curious about. Why do we measure time the way we do? 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in a hour, 24 hours in a day? I understand what a day and a year is supposed to represent solar system-wise, but isn't it theoretically possible to divide up time's smaller units to fit into a base 10 system?

I don't know, why did Britain like it?

It was the British Imperial system of measurement after all.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

The UK is weird, but I like using inches and feet for height measurement of people, but kilos for weight. Also, I use Miles for long distances and measure it in Metres, and use Metres and CM for shorter distances up to a mile.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Somewhat on topic, there's also been something I've been a little curious about. Why do we measure time the way we do? 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in a hour, 24 hours in a day? I understand what a day and a year is supposed to represent solar system-wise, but isn't it theoretically possible to divide up time's smaller units to fit into a base 10 system?

Atomic clocks. It's fine until you try and mix atomic measurement with our planetary movement, which isn't accurate. It's close, but why we also have leap years.

Why are we having this argument again? We use it every day, and have no trouble with it, so it's obviously not better or worse, just different.

I could make the same argument that english is better.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The imperial measurements came from England. The reason why the U.S. uses them is because we splintered off from England a long time ago. We didn't switch to European measures because we are across the ocean from Europe. Interestingly, part of the reason why our military is so powerful is because we're isolated over here. It's also partially why our politics are center-right. If we were close to England, we would have switched to metric units long ago.

If we were closer to England, we would not be independent because the English Navy and Army would have demolished us in the American Revolution. The reason why they stopped sending troops over was because they couldn't keep it up since it would take months to get people over from England. They decided to cut their losses.

What were we talking about again?

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

They just like to be different, leave them alone. 

So how many MILES per hour does your car do?

I still don't get why everything in the UK is in miles.

The only person that I can accept that uses miles an hour, is Jeremy Clarkson.

In Jeremy we trust.

Every time the united states tries to change over to the metric system some people start screaming about how the metric system causes autism or something.

P.S.  most Americans are using metric, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean(most of it), and South America.

Didn't we have one of these threads just a few days back?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Didn't we have one of these threads just a few days back?

Indeed. For some reason the supposedly more "tolerant" cultures of the world, can't accept that we want to use a system of measurement different from theirs. Furthermore they don't get that metric's only advantage is in engineering and scientific circumstances.

i dont understand why this topic is getting brought up so often these day, we already flamed on it, from both points of view, its getting annoying now since this will probably end in a flame like the last time  <_<

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Indeed. For some reason the supposedly more "tolerant" cultures of the world, can't accept that we want to use a system of measurement different from theirs. Furthermore they don't get that metric's only advantage is in engineering and scientific circumstances.

Do tell what advantages the imperial system has.

Those advantages are pretty huge. Can you name some advantages of Imperial aside from "you already know it"?

For basically every practical instance, it's either just as easy, or simply straight up easier, to use the metric system. Everything is logical and the step ups make sense. The fact that there are 5280 feet per mile, or 1760 yards per mile is ridiculous. I would have to memorize all of that information, rather then being able to logically deduce it.

In Metric, you have 1000 meters in a Kilometer (Kilo meaning 1000, makes total sense). And you can't even say that a yard is a meter, because it's not quite. There are 1760 yards per mile, but there are 1609.34 meters per mile.

Also the Celsius system is logical, with 0 being freezing, 100 being boiling of water. And it's equal to the Kelvin scale, in that they increase at the same rate. Kelvin is simply the same number, plus 273.15.

@Raining_Pixel I'm not entirely sure what you mean by:

I think Kelvin is better because the coldest temperature reachable on planet Earth is 0 according to the measurements of Kelvin.

Because that's not 100% right. 0 Kelvin is absolute entropy (Known as absolute zero), or where, hypothetically, energy transfer stops. It's not just the coldest possible temperature on earth. It's the coldest possible temperature in physics (Although there is some new research that suggests this may not be the case). In fact, aside from perhaps a research laboratory, I don't think any location on earth has ever reached 0 degrees kelvin. But who knows, maybe some crazy natural phenomenon made it happen before?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm from the US (Born and Raised) and I would make the argument "Why doesn't the metric system make any sense at all?

Those advantages are pretty huge. Can you name some advantages of Imperial aside from "you already know it"?

For basically every practical instance, it's either just as easy, or simply straight up easier, to use the metric system. Everything is logical and the step ups make sense. The fact that there are 5280 feet per mile, or 1760 yards per mile is ridiculous. I would have to memorize all of that information, rather then being able to logically deduce it.

In Metric, you have 1000 meters in a Kilometer (Kilo meaning 1000, makes total sense). And you can't even say that a yard is a meter, because it's not quite. There are 1760 yards per mile, but there are 1609.34 meters per mile.

Also the Celsius system is logical, with 0 being freezing, 100 being boiling of water. And it's equal to the Kelvin scale, in that they increase at the same rate. Kelvin is simply the same number, plus 273.15.

@Raining_Pixel I'm not entirely sure what you mean by:

Because that's not 100% right. 0 Kelvin is absolute entropy (Known as absolute zero), or where, hypothetically, energy transfer stops. It's not just the coldest possible temperature on earth. It's the coldest possible temperature in physics (Although there is some new research that suggests this may not be the case). In fact, aside from perhaps a research laboratory, I don't think any location on earth has ever reached 0 degrees kelvin. But who knows, maybe some crazy natural phenomenon made it happen before?

Roughly 300 million people have already memorized this information and use it every day without much difficulty. Your just hating.

Funny how you call us stupid for being different and using a more difficult system of measurement. I honestly prefer imperial because I find using fractions to be easier in my head, than decimal points.

Furthermore, it's easier to "eyeball" imperial measurements, there are instances where being "less accurate" is actually an advantage.