"New Microsoft Project Makes Shakey Timelapse Video Watchable"

TopWargamer

Source: http://gizmodo.com/new-microsoft-project-makes-shakey-timelapse-video-watc-1619160435?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Project page: https://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/hyperlapse/

Microsoft researchers Johannes Kopf, Richard Szeliski, Michael Cohen, and Richard Szeliski, developed the software and soon-to-be Windows app to help create time lapse videos without multiplying camera shake. As the video above shows, this algorithm takes video stabilization a step further with buttery smooth results.

I think this is one of the most stunning technological advancements I've ever seen. That may be stretching it a bit, but it's still really freaking cool. I never thought it would be possible to make such shaky time-lapse videos look so butter smooth, but Microsoft has done it! This will soon (hopefully, please) be released as a Windows app (I'm *assuming* that it will be a Windows 8.1 exclusive), and I can't wait to try it out for myself.

So how does it all work? Read this quote from Microsoft:

Our algorithm first reconstructs the 3D input camera path as well as dense, per-frame proxy geometries. We then optimize a novel camera path for the output video that is smooth and passes near the input cameras while ensuring that the virtual camera looks in directions that can be rendered well from the input.

Next, we compute geometric proxies for each input frame. These allow us to render the frames from the novel viewpoints on the optimized path.

COMIC SANS

It looks just like the 'steadying' that YouTube does, filled with anomalies and artifacts.

I dislike these technologies, I'm a fan of smooth camera work myself.

That is pretty damn cool

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Bloody Nora!

Looks pretty neat, nice, sick, wicked, brilliant, fantastic and FABULOUS!

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

That's really cool. A whole new perspective to play with and made much easier.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

It looks just like the 'steadying' that YouTube does, filled with anomalies and artifacts.

i also agree and i prefer gyros over software fixes but they still expensive

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Perfectly smooth camera recording isn't really possible with those devices. At least not for the uses being shown in the video. 

this + a smooth camera would have some awesome results I reckon

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

It seams that Microsoft used the same technology as their Photosynth technology:

http://photosynth.net/preview

Some of these videos looks like some level of stereoscopic 3D as they move, despite you watching it on a normal computer monitor. Real cool

Like this one: http://photosynth.net/preview/view/c0bd91cd-a54e-4f9f-97df-71f457fdd68e

That's quite the feat. especially the mountain climbing,  that would be almost impossible to get smooth with any physical tools.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That is pretty awesome. Would this be possible with films like Cloverfield?

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

dam microsoft doing something nice. been a long time. the artifacts are a bit bad but the tech has a nice future. keep it up.

see how impressed i am? i didn't even use the dollar symbol when i spelled microsoft.

It kinda looks like google streetview sped up

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

It looks horrible with all that artefacting and mess  D:

I can see this being used to a cool effect but that much processing just looks so unnatural 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah,because people using GoPros have nothing better to do but to constanly manage their camera...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

It's nice and smooth, but looks very artificial. Better than any alternative I can think of for compressing hours of shakycam footage into a more reasonable time frame, though I'm not a fan of shakycam in the first place.

How can filming a mountain bike race via a GoPro be "smooth"? Your comment angers me. No one really cares if you dislike this technology, because you obviously have no clue what it is really used for.

Le sigh.. these fucking trolls.

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

iYOXpB3.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs