"New Nexus 9 leak points to 64-bit Nvidia Tegra K1, 4GB of RAM, and 2560×1600 screen"

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/187752-new-nexus-9-leak-points-to-64-bit-nvidia-tegra-k1-4gb-of-ram-and-2560x1600-screen

Basically, the rumored 'Nexus 9' is supposedly going to have 4GB of RAM, a 2560x1600 display, and will be using the 64-bit Nvidia Tegra K1.

This all leads me to say something...how much is this thing gonna cost!? I mean, it's a (potential) Nexus device, and the Nexus devices are known for giving you great specs at a fairly low cost, for what you're getting. I mean, they could still very well be doing this, but with those rumored specs, it's going to be hard to...

I mean, yes, I want this to be a thing, but the potential price is what scares me a bit...

Thoughts on the legitimacy of these leaked specs?

COMIC SANS

good lord what is this font

With regard to the Nexus 9, I wonder if it could be roughly based on the upcoming Shield tablet for the OEM, but with some components swapped out similar to how the Nexus 5 is based on the LG G2.

If only the thing came with a kickstand a la Surface it'd be perfection... will still get one though.  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Linus

This is gonna be expensive as fuck, and the resolution is just stupid. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

4 GB of RAM is very unlikely. What's the point? To show that the 64-bit processor can address it all? That's a very expensive way of doing that.

Also when did they port Android to 64-bits?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Yes, but the Nexus 10 has the same resolution and it's 1'' difference.

The resolution is still stupid on a 10" monitor. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

The resolution is still stupid on a 10" monitor. 

Yes it is, and 1440p phones are even more ridiculous, my Gnex is 720p and I think that is high enough, I'd much rather see improvements in battery life rather than increases in display resolution to the detriment of battery life.

look at how much the shield tab with tk1 costs. My guess for this tab? $300-$400. Its really not that much different from the shield tab. a couple of upgrades thats it.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Yes it is, and 1440p phones are even more ridiculous, my Gnex is 720p and I think that is high enough, I'd much rather see improvements in battery life rather than increases in display resolution to the detriment of battery life.

Absolutely. I have no idea what the Galaxy s3's resolution is but it's perfect for me. 

KikKat, pretty sure

(Said Android L before, but I was thinking of the ART run time.)

COMIC SANS

NVIDIA needs this badly, I actually think it might be a cheap device making NVIDIA profit just enough, to get this SoC outthere and to be used by a large amount of users... Way, but way more then doing it under the NVIDIA Shield brand.

KikKat, pretty sure

(Said Android L before, but I was thinking of the ART run time.)

I hate to be a twat, but could you please choose a wider font? Anything high resolution or a cell phone screen makes reading your posts incredibly difficult on the eyes.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This is gonna be expensive as fuck, and the resolution is just stupid. 

Why is 2560x1600 stupid? It's the same as the soon to be 2 year old Nexus 10.

The 64bit K1 is probably true as well, since it seems like it will be the first 64bit processor for Android. Android L will be 64bit compatible so putting it on the K1 with Denver is probably what will happen. 4GB is reasonable as well. Twice the amount of the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.

I would be so disappointed if it ends up being an 8.9" tablet though. I want 10" or more. I really hope that's the spec they are wrong about.

Absolutely. I have no idea what the Galaxy s3's resolution is but it's perfect for me. 

This would have a slightly higher PPI than your Galaxy S 3.

306 PPI vs 339 PPI.

Do you understand how PPI works? When you make a screen bigger, you have to increase the resolution to keep the sharpness the same. This tablet with a 2560x1600 screen will only be slightly sharper than your Galaxy S 3 (which doesn't have that good of a screen by today's standards). This will probably have a full RGB stripe though, and a better calibrated screen if the Nexus 5 and 7 are anything to go by.

4 GB of RAM is very unlikely. What's the point? To show that the 64-bit processor can address it all? That's a very expensive way of doing that.

The point is to make up for the slightly higher memory use of 64bit apps, the ability to dedicate enough RAM to the GPU to drive the 2560x1600 display properly and to not have to expunge stuff from memory as quickly.

It's not expensive. It's estimated that the move from 2GB in the Galaxy S 4 (9 dollars) to 3GB in the Note 3 added about 1 dollars to the BOM cost (3GB for 10 dollars). A 4GB RAM chip for phones costs probably about 10 dollars by today's standards.

Android is 64bit since Android L. It was one of the biggest announcements at Google I/O.

Why is 2560x1600 stupid? It's the same as the soon to be 2 year old Nexus 10.

The 64bit K1 is probably true as well, since it seems like it will be the first 64bit processor for Android. Android L will be 64bit compatible so putting it on the K1 with Denver is probably what will happen. 4GB is reasonable as well. Twice the amount of the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.

I would be so disappointed if it ends up being an 8.9" tablet though. I want 10" or more. I really hope that's the spec they are wrong about.

You can't tell the difference between 1080p and 1600p on a 10" monitor.

You can't tell the difference between 1080p and 1600p on a 10" monitor.

Oh yes you can.

220 PPI vs 300 PPI.

Someone with below average vision could see the difference from over 30cm away. Normal vision will see the difference from about 40cm away. Someone with slightly above average vision will see the difference from about 50cm away.

That's without taking vernier acuity into consideration, which we humans are really really good at.

Oh yes you can.

220 PPI vs 300 PPI.

Someone with below average vision could see the difference from over 30cm away. Normal vision will see the difference from about 40cm away. Someone with slightly above average vision will see the difference from about 50cm away.

That's without taking vernier acuity into consideration, which we humans are really really good at.

Have you ever compared a nexus 10 vs something like a galaxy tab 3 irl? 

Have you ever compared a nexus 10 vs something like a galaxy tab 3 irl? 

The Galaxy Tab 3 10.1? No but my friend has a Galaxy Tab 2 (same PPI as the Tab 3) and it looks really bad in comparison. It is especially noticeable when reading Kanji but you should be able to clearly see the difference with any kind of content when the gap is that big (150 PPI vs 300 PPI).

So now phones and tablets and even some laptops are getting higher resolutions then most normal priced monitors.....

Other then that I really like the Tegra K1, it is one hell of a processor I'd love to see how this tablet turns out.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

where the front facing speaker?

cmon man. 

Im SORRY for:-1. My Broken English. 2. "if" posting wrong section. 3. "if" my replay hurt someone. 4. "if" posting already posted before

Because im new to active forum >.< (bow) please kindly guide me thanks

*just bought shield*

"GOD DAMNIT!"

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List