GIF Creator Sets Record Straight: It's Pronounced 'JIF'

Wilhite accepted a lifetime achievement award at the Webby's, which require winners to limit their acceptance speeches to five words.

"Instead of speaking his five words tonight, Steve is using his own invention to accept his award," Tumblr founder David Karp said in introducing him

English language calls for the hard G sound when before a soft vowel (i, e, or y). There are exceptions of course...

Think of giraffe, German, or analogy.

How where you pronouncing it this whole time?

"If you are not paying for it, then you ARE NOT the customer. You are the product being sold."

"If you are not learning, then you are forgetting."

That's what I used to call it!!! Then i heard everyone calling it GIF so i changed thinking i was wrong.

Take that anyone who didn't call it JIF!!

=]

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

No. Learn to spell.

(I pronounced it with a hard G, so GIF.)

I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG YES

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

English language calls for the hard G sound when before a soft vowel (i, e, or y). There are exceptions of course...

"If you are not paying for it, then you ARE NOT the customer. You are the product being sold."

"If you are not learning, then you are forgetting."

I thought this was known? He said the same thing a couple of years ago. I just keep saying "gif" because "jif" sounds stupid.

Same with PNG, officially its pronounced "ping". But I just say PE EN GE.

It's not much of a rule if it has so many exceptions, eh?  :lol:

Jif sounds so stupid compared to gif.

So no thanks!

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I can't wait until this Christmas when I open all my jitfts.  (For the record, I still call it Gif, like the G in Green).

Who cares? How is this an issue that so many people spend time on debating? Doesn't matter what the creator says, wanna pronounce it GIF, do that, whanna pronounce it JIF, do that. Problem solved.

Jif sounds so stupid compared to gif.

So no thanks!

Sounds peanut buttery :lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I knew about this for quite a while now about the time that I began watching the tek... and since than I've been saing gif with a J

Its an acronym for Graphics Interchange Format so I will keep calling it GIF, but at the end of the day like many words in the english language it doesn't really matter

Jif sounds better than Gif, I think.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I love this, it's pronounced "Jif", not "Gif"! THEN WHY DID YOU MAKE IT .gif INSTEAD OF .jif ??? I'm going to be a #BADBOI and still say gif, like how it's spelled

I love this, it's pronounced "Jif", not "Gif"! THEN WHY DID YOU MAKE IT .gif INSTEAD OF .jif ??? I'm going to be a #BADBOI and still say gif, like how it's spelled

Some times we use G in names instead of J. Like Gerry.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Like Geoff/Jeff.

Do you say Jerry? Gerry actually sounds like a more realistic sounding name. Anyways, it still makes more sense to spell it .jif then, you can't say "Gif" there

Do you say Jerry? Gerry actually sounds like a more realistic sounding name. Anyways, it still makes more sense to spell it .jif then, you can't say "Gif" there

Yeah. I say Jerry. But I've seen Jerry spelled with a G instead of a J.

Yeah. I say Jerry. But I've seen Jerry spelled with a G instead of a J.

It's probably just a regional thing then. It just sounds like the guy wants to piss off everyone, because only the internet hipsters says "jif", while most regular people say "gif"

Personally I don't care how people pronounce GIF. It's kind of like the words "potato" and "tomato" Some people say it the way it's spelled, while others say it like this "pototo" or "tomoto" with long O's in the middle.