GIF Creator Sets Record Straight: It's Pronounced 'JIF'

Lemons.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Still going to call it my way "GIF" since most of my friends call it GIF. JIF seems weird imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yeah. I say Jerry. But I've seen Jerry spelled with a G instead of a J.

Wouldn't that be like Gary?

I'll keep calling it GIF, Just because it doesn't sound as silly as JIF, also JIF is a cleaning product. Lol.

UQm27g2.jpg

And, at least in the US, the name of a peanut butter brand. 

Wouldn't that be like Gary?

Perhaps.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Lately I keep finding out that I speak better English than half the American/Canadian/British population, I mean who didn't know it was pronounced "jif" failfish.png kappa.png

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

He's an old fool who can't spell correctly then.

It's GIF, not JIF. If you wanted it to be pronounced JIF then you should have named the extension .JIF.

Also, I remember back in the 90's when using Paint Shop Pro version 3.0 that I began pronouncing GIFs like the G in Green.  The reason is because there is another file format that was .JIF, which is the JFIF or JPEG File Interchange Format.  I believe this was also during a time where software was not widely compatible with long file names, so the 8.3 filename format (8 characters filename, 3 characters extension) resulted in JFIF files having the extension ".JIF".

Here are some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_File_Interchange_Format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

So, it's cute that the creator of GIF wants to set a naming standard, that would mean clobbering the pronunciation of another file format.  If I were a graphics designer, and I dealt with these formats on a regular basis, I would likely use the 2 distinct pronunciations: G = Green = GIF, and J = Johnny = JIF.

Sorry bro (creator of GIF), you lose.   :P

Too many file extensions.

And, at least in the US, the name of a peanut butter brand.

Hah yeah, GIF sounds better anyway.

I'll still call it 'GIF', 'JIF' kinda sounds a bit too weird for me.

SPECS: MOBO - INTEL DZ77GA70K EXTEME, CPU - i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz, MEMORY - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2 x 4G, GPU - GIGABYTE HD7970 OC, HDD - WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK 1TB, SDD - INTEL 520 SERIES 120GB, CASE - COOLERMASTER RC-682A-KWN5, PSU - THERMALTAKE SMART 750W, KEYBOARD - RAZER BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 2013, MOUSE - RAZER DEATHERADDER 2013.  :D

I'll keep calling it GIF, Just because it doesn't sound as silly as JIF, also JIF is a cleaning product. Lol.

UQm27g2.jpg

I was just about to post a link to that :). Anyway, I think I'm going to keep saying "gif" because old habits die hard.

i5 3570k @ 4.1ghz -- Hyper 212 Evo -- NVIDIA GTX670 -- 8gb RAM -- 128gb Samsung 830 -- 256gb Samsung 830 -- 2TB Seagate 7200rpm -- Phantom 410 -- Leopold TKL Brown Switches -- Logitech G600

to me it's more natural to pronounce it "jif", here in italy the hard G (and C) is always followed by H if the next vowel is I or E  :D.

Huh, interesting.

I am still going to say gif, as you have another format called .jif.

I can tell this will split the internet in half. I'm just going to call it gif as in gift because that how its phonetically pronounced.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Even though he says the dictionary says it's pronounced "Gif," Dictionary.com doesn't encourage that.

post-7355-0-71968500-1369359648.png

Don't care still calling it gif, jif is the name of a cleaning product.

By the way, go easy Grammar Nazis I'm dyslexic;'#';[p#'; (I'm pretty sure a full stop should go there somewhere :D)
My Deviant Art: http://neutronicsoup.deviantart.com/
Linus quote of the day "Slick you're fired"

It's probably just a regional thing then. It just sounds like the guy wants to piss off everyone, because only the internet hipsters says "jif", while most regular people say "gif"

Or maybe it's because his name is Gerald :P

Or maybe it's because his name is Gerald :P

Someone should call him "Gerald" if you know what I mean.