iSwitshed to OSX. Should it happen?

SSOB

Uh... Linux FTW!!

Linux has too many flavours, it would be like. But yeah if you would use ubuntu you can do this. Or MINT is better. It would be super messy.

Interested in Business and Technology

I believe in @LinusTech he is ''techsavvy'' enough to do it.

I thought about this. The thing is it doesn't have to be linus, it can be any LMG member honestly, and as for the productivity part. I'm pretty sure Office/Gmail/Youtube is his main working environment. Since there is Office for mac he shouldn't have a problem really. Besides it's not like linus is not tech savvy, i'm pretty sure he will learn how the os works in like three days. I was forced to use OSX for some time ( mavericks.) and I learned most of the basic functionality in three days. It's not like i didn't have moved work at that time, i photoshopped alot and did some essay wrting etc. I would say it took me 10 hours to earn the OS. My biggest annoyance was actually the placement of the keys on the apple keyboard, Command and Control should be in other possitions hoenslt. 

Anyway I really hope linus bites the bullet and tries it for at least two weeks.

Good points.

Yes, technically it could be any LMG member, though it would be extremely detrimental for Edzel, Brandon, or Taran to switch as they all have very specific Adobe Premiere and After Effects setups that they have spent hours tweaking (even switching to another Windows system is tough for them). Luke switching would run into the same issues as Linus, and if I switched the review would not be nearly detailed enough (I have nowhere near the depth or breadth of knowledge that Luke or Linus have about tech and creating reviews, and for something huge like this you guys would be expecting perfection).

Like I said, I'm not trying to say it's not going to happen, I just wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Ignoring is the best thing i can do with this post. Oh the irony.

O.K, here's the response that needs to be countered without the reasons for ignoring it:

You could say the exact same thing about Windows. Word for word, and it would still be just as true as when someone says that about OS X.

There are shortkeys in Windows as well. "For some people" and "much easier/efficient to use" is really vague as well.

So is there any feature in osx that isn't in windows that improves productivity.

Not a personal attack or anything like that, but of late there has been a lot of silly posts in these forums from people hating on brand x and making/repeating many false statements  for no other reason than they are misguided or fan-boys or trolls even.    It would be good if people could back up their statements/opinions with a rational explanation or evidence or preface their posts with "this is my personal preference because I..."

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Good points.

Yes, technically it could be any LMG member, though it would be extremely detrimental for Edzel, Brandon, or Taran to switch as they all have very specific Adobe Premiere and After Effects setups that they have spent hours tweaking (even switching to another Windows system is tough for them). Luke switching would run into the same issues as Linus, and if I switched the review would not be nearly detailed enough (I have nowhere near the depth or breadth of knowledge that Luke or Linus have about tech and creating reviews, and for something huge like this you guys would be expecting perfection).

Like I said, I'm not trying to say it's not going to happen, I just wouldn't expect it any time soon.

That's why I hinted in the poll it's going to be Yosemite. Which won't be released in another two months or so. This way linus can prepare himself. If luke would do it, let's say the chance of a positive review would be less than 1% , he seems pretty ''close-minded'' about trying other things and clearly is anti-apple... I think linus would be the best person to do this as he doesn't do much/any video editing so the learning curve would be minimal in comparison to edzel,brandon, taran.

Linux has too many flavours, it would be like. But yeah if you would use ubuntu you can do this. Or MINT is better. It would be super messy.

mintSwitched :D

O.K, here's the response that needs to be countered without the reasons for ignoring it:

So is there any feature in osx that isn't in windows that improves productivity.

Not a personal attack or anything like that, but of late there has been a lot of silly posts in these forums from people hating on brand x and making/repeating many false statements  for no other reason than they are misguided or fan-boys or trolls even.    It would be good if people could back up their statements/opinions with a rational explanation or evidence or preface their posts with "this is my personal preference because I..."

The way it interacts with the user is different from windows, many people find this ''easy to learn'' and it works more efficient. Basically most tech youtubers use OSX , it's for a reason. You have to try it and either like it dislike it to see where the ''fuss'' is about.

The way it interacts with the user is different from windows, many people find this ''easy to learn'' and it works more efficient. Basically most tech youtubers use OSX , it's for a reason. You have to try it and either like it dislike it to see where the ''fuss'' is about.

so it's not better, it's user preference.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

so it's not better, it's user preference.

As with everything, yes of course it comes down to the user. When i ask you automatic or manual. You can anwser both and both are good, it just depends on your preference. Most people prefer manual i think ( or automatic i don't know.) 

As with everything, yes of course it comes down to the user. When i ask you automatic or manual. You can anwser both and both are good, it just depends on your preference. Most people prefer manual i think ( or automatic i don't know.) 

depends on which demographic you ask,  ask here at ltt where the majority are under 25, they swear by manual,  but look at older generations and anyone who's enthusiastic about the latest automotive trends they prefer auto (of certain flavors).  Just like with apple, if you look in certain demographics or at certain institutions you will see more apple than anything, however if you look at the bigger picture you'll see windows is the dominant OS, this is not because it is intrinsically better, but because in the developing years of IT it had the edge over apple. 

well some games can be run inside something called "wineskin" or "crossover" or "cider" but not all of them. It wraps/ports the games into something that osx can "read". its awfull, not guaranteed to work but if you are lucky your favorite game is supported. There are lists of compatible games tho. I feel like someone on the LTT has to go through the pain i once went through.

i did this a few years ago back when my mind was brainwashed by them =apple

i feel like they should try out their iLife (their photo managing app wasn't bad), try out final cut pro, ... customize the OS as much as you can (skins for the "dock", pictures,...) and explain how easy it is to use bootcamp

one of the things i liked back when i used it was, that you have a search bar in the program menu items (see picture below)

leopard-help-menu.jpg

i also liked the user friendliness of the automator (lets things happen automatically)

the risk of messing up their OS is not that high as windows, so please linus, let me see you messing around with it 

note: i started typing this before nickLMG his post, but i concider this post still valid

edit: maybe don't use it for productivity as your video editing things are to complex, but one of you could use it for their home system for a while

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

well some games can be run inside something called "wineskin" or "crossover" or "cider" but not all of them. It wraps/ports the games into something that osx can "read". its awfull, not guaranteed to work but if you are lucky your favorite game is supported. There are lists of compatible games tho. I feel like someone on the LTT has to go through the pain i once went through.

i feel like they should try out their iLife (their photo managing app wasn't bad), try out final cut pro, ... customize the OS as much as you can (skins for the "dock", pictures,...) and explain how easy it is to use bootcamp

one of the things i liked back when i used it was, that you have a search bar in the program menu items (see picture below)

leopard-help-menu.jpg

i also liked the user friendliness of the automator (lets things happen automatically)

the risk of messing up their OS is not that high as windows, so please linus, let me see you messing around with it 

note: i started typing this before nickLMG his post, but i concider this post still valid

edit: maybe don't use it for productivity as your video editing things are to complex, but one of you could use it for their home system for a while

Excellent addidion to the topic i would say.

Please explain how "the way it interacts with the user is different".

Please explain how it "works more efficiently".

You're still being very vague. I have used OS X (hackintosh'd my laptop) and I didn't get what the fuss was about. I used it for a while, got frustrated and went back to Windows.

Someone who knows what they are talking about does not have to be vague and you're being vague every other sentence.

The last part of your post is just an argumentum ad populum.

As someone who works daily, switching between OS X and Windows on the same desk, or a dual booting hackintosh at home, I'd like to see a series on this. I don't have a problem with either OS but I've long wondered what it would be like to switch completely to either platform.

It would totally break his work flow. Maybe if he has nothing else to do for a month.

Closest thing to OS X I've used was Elementary OS. I hated the interface.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

leopard-help-menu.jpg

Actually I was reading an article about support being a lot more advanced with things like Nvidia GRID cards (workstation cards with no video out ports at all made specifically to run 3d applications and games over virtualization clients) If anything it's an interesting read for a more "do it yourself" in home game streaming

http://www.techspot.com/article/851-virtual-desktop-gpu-acceleration/

So you can use your mac as a workstation but if you want gaming, just use it as a stream box on the fly (literally just by maximizing a window without leaving the OS)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Actually I was reading an article about support being a lot more advanced with things like Nvidia GRID cards (workstation cards with no video out ports at all made specifically to run 3d applications and games over virtualization clients) If anything it's an interesting read for a more "do it yourself" in home game streaming

http://www.techspot.com/article/851-virtual-desktop-gpu-acceleration/

So you can use your mac as a workstation but if you want gaming, just use it as a stream box on the fly (literally just by maximizing a window without leaving the OS)

Yes but it'll be atleast a couple of years before GRID takes off honestly.

Yes but it'll be atleast a couple of years before GRID takes off honestly.

Oh yeah but as a crazy experiment for Linus I think it would be great: He seems to be into the entire connected home concepts with wireless audio speakers, game streaming, closed circuit IP cameras, etc. This would be sort of the ultimate office project: An actual rack with several of this so his team can access extra resources for video tasks and well fuck around with office streaming to thin clients in the toilet or something.

Plus it will give him a valid excuse to request server hardware review samples and not depend on his "stack shit on the toilet" method  :D

-------

Current Rig

-------

Oh yeah but as a crazy experiment for Linus I think it would be great: He seems to be into the entire connected home concepts with wireless audio speakers, game streaming, closed circuit IP cameras, etc. This would be sort of the ultimate office project: An actual rack with several of this so his team can access extra resources for video tasks and well fuck around with office streaming to thin clients in the toilet or something.

Plus it will give him a valid excuse to request server hardware review samples and not depend on his "stack shit on the toilet" method  :D

Lol most awesome video ever. ''Yeah we switshed to OSX server and using all wireless. We actually have 0 wiress at linusmediagroup.

but Windows is a million times better

Meh. I'm bored, I'll take the flamebait.

What makes Windows a million times better?

[22:56] <Rehclip> Goddamnit hes right? Or goddamnit you're still on the computer chatting on IRC while your house is ablaze?

Meh. I'm bored, I'll take the flamebait.

What makes Windows a million times better?

i like it better because i've used it all my life and it does what i like the way i like, Mac OS X is a good OS but i need muh games

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

i have to say it...*switched

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Yes by far. Mac hate is OK. They are overpriced and underpowered. The OS X hate is undeserved. It truly is a robust operating system. 

Macs are overpriced.  But yeah, OSX is much more stable than windows IMO and the ammount of polishing Apple does to it is amazing! (I still prefer Windows though :P)