iSwitshed to OSX. Should it happen?

SSOB

I sure hope you're using Cygwin for more than SSH because if not it's kind of a waste.

Cygwin does have a ton to offer.  I love it really.  I think what you are saying is that since Cygwin has so much to offer, it would be a real shame to only use it to secure shell.   But the Cygwin package installer allows the user to pick and choose what they want installed.  A user can install just what they need to.  And as they discover they need something they didn't originally install, they can just install it as they need to.  

It would be a shame to have ALL of Cygwin packages installed, but only using it to shell.  I agree.  kindof.  It certainly doesn't hurt to have it all installed even if not all is used.   I do use more than ssh though.   Most of my work is remote on remote corporate systems.  I'll use my cygwin to write some proof of concept scripts locally (mostly curl [https], rsync, lftp [sftp]), but I mostly use it to shell into other servers (because I work mostly on remote RHEL Oracle servers).   But I do use quite a bit of Cygwin.  So much so that at this point I've pretty much installed all of the packages.

I also use cygwin to perform In-File searches (I never got the hang of WIndows in file searches)...

find . -name "*" -exec grep -li "cygwin rocks" {} \; -print|more

or a more complex search replace using find, regular expressions, xargs, grep, et ...

find . -type f -regextype posix-egrep -regex ".*\.(py|html|txt|xml|ora|env|sh|pl)$" -exec grep -l "/11\.1\.0/" {} \; -print| xargs perl -pi -e "s/11.1.0/11.2.0.3/g"

*But now we are totally off topic.  sorry

Cygwin does have a ton to offer.  I love it really.  I think what you are saying is that since Cygwin has so much to offer, it would be a real shame to only use it to secure shell.   But the Cygwin package installer allows the user to pick and choose what they want installed.  A user can install just what they need to.  And as they discover they need something they didn't originally install, they can just install it as they need to.  

It would be a shame to have ALL of Cygwin packages installed, but only using it to shell.  I agree.  kindof.  It certainly doesn't hurt to have it all installed even if not all is used.   I do use more than ssh though.   Most of my work is remote on remote corporate systems.  I'll use my cygwin to write some proof of concept scripts locally (mostly curl [https], rsync, lftp [sftp]), but I mostly use it to shell into other servers (because I work mostly on remote RHEL Oracle servers).   But I do use quite a bit of Cygwin.  So much so that at this point I've pretty much installed all of the packages.

I also use cygwin to perform In-File searches (I never got the hang of WIndows in file searches)...

find . -name "*" -exec grep -li "cygwin rocks" {} \; -print|more

or a more complex search replace using find, regular expressions, xargs, grep, et ...

find . -type f -regextype posix-egrep -regex ".*\.(py|html|txt|xml|ora|env|sh|pl)$" -exec grep -l "/11\.1\.0/" {} \; -print| xargs perl -pi -e "s/11.1.0/11.2.0.3/g"

*But now we are totally off topic.  sorry

No actually what I meant was that it would be kind of wasteful to install Cygwin if all you wanted was an SSH client since for example KiTTY is so good.

If you use it for other stuff (two things I love about bash are regex and pipes) then yeah it's really powerful and good.

OSX uses more advanced disk formats ext2, ext3 and journal.  These formats are more secure, more stable and dont require defraggmenting.

Its linux that uses the ext file system. OSX uses HFS+, and its actually getting rather long in the tooth and isn't really any better than windows' NTFS lol...

With all of that said, an 'iSwitched' to OS X would be interesting. By far, the greatest feature in OS X comes from the hardware side of things. Apple's trackpads (both the external and laptop) are amazingly accurate and smooth. Until you've tried one while using OS X, you haven't lived. The other reason I use OS X is mainly because Windows is absolutely horrible when it comes to developing in a language like Ruby (I develop Rails, Sinatra apps).

Yeah this is easily my favorite thing about OSX, and one of the big reasons I chose to get a macbook. I wish windows would get its act together when it comes to touchpads... After using OSX's system wide smooth/responsive scrolling its so hard to go back to using a touchpad in windows :/

I am not a fan of OS X but as far as I know you don't need to hack it open like you have on iOS. You can just install for example X on it and change out the DE if you want. No workarounds needed.

There is nothing stopping you from doing things as root either.

So basically, you have zero experience with OSX, right?

So basically, you have zero experience with OSX, right?

I used it on my laptop casually for awhile but didn't like it. That was back when Snow Leopard was new. I've only used it in stores for very short periods of times after that.

Are you trying to gather info for an ad hominem attack?

I used it on my laptop casually for awhile but didn't like it. That was back when Snow Leopard was new. I've only used it in stores for very short periods of times after that.

Are you trying to gather info for an ad hominem attack?

Nope, I just don't think you have enough experience with OSX to make valid arguments against it. Objectivity only goes so far.

I guess it's a pointless argument really, but I would think a person who knows and uses GNU/Linux would appreciate OSX. Any straight-out Windows user with nothing to give to the conversation is wasting bandwidth.

Nope, I just don't think you have enough experience with OSX to make valid arguments against it. Objectivity only goes so far.

Yep, I knew it. Ad hominem attacks coming through.

I guess it's a pointless argument really, but I would think a person who knows and uses GNU/Linux would appreciate OSX. Any straight-out Windows user with nothing to give to the conversation is wasting bandwidth.

What is a pointless argument? That OS X isn't locked down like some people think?

I am quite used to GNU/Linux and I'd take that over OS X any day of the week.

Yep, I knew it. Ad hominem attacks coming through.

What is a pointless argument? That OS X isn't locked down like some people think?

I am quite used to GNU/Linux and I'd take that over OS X any day of the week.

How is it ad hominem? You've proved throughout the thread that you basically don't know anything about OSX. Don't resort to calling out other people's questioning of your experience as a hominem when you don't know how to respond, it doesn't achieve anything. Perhaps you should just go back to tripping on /g/...

Can't you see that Lawlz is having fun with you guys.  Almost every other post is a pink hair anime.

Point of this thread is to see how many would like Linus try switching to OS X for awhile.  So far, most voters want to see this happen

I already have an opinion of OS X having used it since leopard.  I have a solid understanding of OS X and I'm very familiar with it's good/bad sides.  If someone slams or praises OSX (hyperbole or legit), I don't care because I already know if their statements are true or not. 

Here is what I'll say about it though... OS X and Windows are different enough that it is almost like comparing Linux to Windows.  Trying to switch all of your business/productivity from Windows to Linux would be very hard to do.   Switching from Windows to OS X is easier than that but it still might prove to be very hard.  I've been committed to port all of my previous operations from Windows to OS X.  But after 5+ years, I basically gave up on that plan.  I use OS X now for web browsing, uTorrent, shell scripting, and Minecraft (not as a server), etc.   And I have not played minecraft in a long time.

I use Red Hat and Windows for most of my "work", not because I haven't tried using OS X but because Windows was best for the type work I do (Oracle Databases).  And most of the client tools I use when working on Oracle are made specifically for Windows operating system.  And most Oracle Databases are installed on Oracle Linux (essentially RHEL). sooo, not much productivity in OSX for me... unless I'm just at the shell all day which sometimes happens, but is rare.

I'm really really interested to see what Linus experience would be.  I think someone opposed to OS X might also want to see that, just to see Linus struggle.

*edit:  Also, to switch from Windows to OS X guarantees having to switch productivity tool/application packages.  You don't want to use a ported software application that was originally written for windows,  it is almost guaranteed to be crippled in OS X.  You'll want to find software that was originally intended to be run in OS X.  That is a bigger hurdle than just changing the OS.  Now you have to learn from ground zero how the new programs work too.  

How is it ad hominem? You've proved throughout the thread that you basically don't know anything about OSX. Don't resort to calling out other people's questioning of your experience as a hominem when you don't know how to respond, it doesn't achieve anything. Perhaps you should just go back to tripping on /g/...

Because you are implying that my arguments are not valid simply because I have not used OS X that much. Most of the things I have replied to hasn't even been about OS X directly, but rather specific things like NTFS vs other file systems, or the Windows directory.

I still trip on /g/. I just don't post there as much.

Can't you see that Lawlz is having fun with you guys.  Almost every other post is a pink hair anime.

I think it's pretty fun to see people struggle to back up claims they have made, yes.

I am still interested in the conversation though. It's just that I have fun while having a serious debate.

But that argument is shit. You could say the exact same thing about Windows. Word for word, and it would still be just as true as when someone says that about OS X.

There are shortkeys in Windows as well. "For some people" and "much easier/efficient to use" is really vague as well.

So basically, the whole "productivity" argument is just inane?

I would say for getting things done OSX works just fine, Unlike on windows i have never had to go dicking around to get anything to work, it just works and this lets me get back do getting stuff done. I have never had the thing randomly crash for seemingly no reason unlike my desktop which is nice. In short the general trend i have seen is that OSX just works no matter what you do to it, part of this is probably due to the fact that it is much more locked down and you cant change as much stuff but for any normal user this should not really be an issue. Text scaling on OSX is also still worlds better than it is on windows which means that you can use much higher res monitors with fewer issues.

I do have legitimate complaints though. The lack of an easy way to snap a window to half the screen is annoying and is one of my favorite features of windows from a productivity standpoint. (there are free programs that can do this but ffs apple just add it to the os, linux to my knowledge also has this issue). The other really annoying thing is the inablity to write to NTFS formatted drives which in a world were windows is the most common os can be a pain in the ass if you have to deal with both (not even sure if this can be fixed without major changes the the underlying structure of the os).

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that i'm not online that much guys, i'm on a holiday in morocco and really enjoying it here. ( except for the super slow internet, it's cheap however 8GB for 9 euros... ) but than again I didn't come here to be online, i came here for the beach etc.

Interested in Business and Technology

I love how we all hate OSX, but we would wish it on Linus any day of the week for the lolz!!

Excellent idea

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

I love how we all hate OSX, but we would wish it on Linus any day of the week for the lolz!!

Excellent idea

Actually a lot of people like OSX, Please speak for yourself in the future.

P.s. your signature can only be three lines.

Actually a lot of people like OSX, Please speak for yourself in the future.

P.s. your signature can only be three lines.

I've already been told that and i'm working on it

It is a common consensus that PC bulders prefer Windows over OSX (well win7 anyway). What i said was a joke

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

I've already been told that and i'm working on it

It is a common consensus that PC bulders prefer Windows over OSX (well win7 anyway). What i said was a joke

Could be, but definetly doesn't have to be. Some people only build a PC to make a Hackingtosh out of it. Look at tonymac for example, a great comunity, all PC builders and OSX users.

When I got my Mac I panicked at having to learn a new system.

For power users and content creators and pros? Maybe it would be a bit of a hassle to switch their workflow over.

For joe blow? I certainly didn't give a damn after a few hours.

Im also not brain dead. I can switch between OS X and windows easily. And I do, on a almost hourly basis. It's not rocket science and using OS X is no more simple or complicated than Windows, nor is OS X less or more locked down than windows.