iSwitshed to OSX. Should it happen?

SSOB

I would love to see the outcome, if there is one person I had to trust to see the good and the bad of an OS, it would be Linus!

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

It is not too different. They  are both OS's. Microsoft seems to make many apps for iOS, or is that Google?

Linus thinks differently as he said it sucks big time. That's why he GOTTA be forced to use it at least two weeks.

Interested in Business and Technology

I would love to see the outcome, if there is one person I had to trust to see the good and the bad of an OS, it would be Linus!

I would also love to see the outcome. 

Linus thinks differently as he said it sucks big time. That's why he GOTTA be forced to use it at least two weeks.

So, you mean, force him, and torture him with iOS.....?

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

So, you mean, force him, and torture him with iOS.....?

Not iOS OSX. But yes, yes indeed.

Last time I used OSX it didn't let me turn off mouse acceleration. That alone would keep me away from OSX even if I didn't highly value my current ability to run essentially any arbitrary program I can find (not just games).

The only feature I recall that I currently wish I had were the ability to switch between sets of windows rather than just individual windows. Occasionally I'll be switching between two things, and one or both of those things use multiple windows so I need to switch to each window separately to move them to the front.

The Mac/OSX hate won't stop till Linus tells this forum to grow up and stop being so goddamn bitchy about things like this. 

But, adults have that mentality of being reasonable. Children don't, and guess what this forum is largely based of? 

I just find it sad that you people "hate" something to that degree. 

Yes true, OSX is not for gaming. I'm completely fine with that as i rarely game.

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac/?l=english

Yeah you are kinda right, the game selection sucks. But then again, not needed for most people who use computers, including @LinusTech. He has more machines anyway so it's not like he can only use OSX.

You would be surprised.... Feral Interactive, the company that ports many games to Mac, has a pretty impressive list of titles... Though that's certainly not all the games available for OS X.

https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/

In fact, they've started partnering with devs to work alongside them, and release Mac ports of games at the same time as the normal release, as opposed to them having to get their hands on it, and finally ship a port months after.

Point: The Mac is really getting into the gaming scene. The more devs see it as a rising platform, the more they'll develop for it! OS X is a very efficient OS- many games run better under OS X on my Mac than Windows (via BootCamp)

jobsnopetoppromo.jpg

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

Yes, do it MrTechTips. I love OSX, I use it quite a bit, and I find it better designed than windows. They have a base design, and they have stuck with it, evolving it for the better. I would definitely want to see this. My only issues with OSX is apple, not allowing it to be opened up to other manufacturers.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

jobsnopetoppromo.jpg

Wouldn't it be that steve jobs says yes and somebody like bill gates no? Or is my logic just strange?

Wouldn't it be that steve jobs says yes and somebody like bill gates no? Or is my logic just strange?

My avatar has your answer.  :D

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

In all seriousness though, an iswitched to OSX wouldn't be a bad idea. I would be interested to see it happen, my only issue with it would be a large amount of the games i play wouldn't work on OSX.

In all seriousness though, an iswitched to OSX wouldn't be a bad idea. I would be interested to see it happen, my only issue with it would be a large amount of the games i play wouldn't work on OSX.

Yeah i know, but dualbooting a mac with windows isn't that hard i believe. Besides OSX is not meant to game so it's alright i guess.

I have never used OSX so I would like to see Linus' impressions of it. Even if he would need a bit of time to get used to it.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

osx is actually a very solid operating system. It is really great for productivity

I see this argument all the time but I have never seen anyone actually explain it.

Please explain in detail how and why it is more "productive" than Windows or let's say GNU/Linux.

I see this argument all the time but I have never seen anyone actually explain it.

Please explain in detail how and why it is more "productive" than Windows or let's say GNU/Linux.

The programms that are only available for OSX are for some people much easier/efficient to use. A great example would me MKBHD. Also if you have trained yourself in all the shortcuts and shortkeys that OSX offers you can browse through the system much more efficiently than in let's say windows. An example of these apps is : Final Cut Pro. 

This thread again -.-

. Also if you have trained yourself in all the shortcuts and shortkeys that OSX offers you can browse through the system much more efficiently than in let's say windows.  

What sort of argument is that.
Of course hotkeys work make life more efficient. Do you know how much more efficiently I can use windows because I know every key combo I need to know. -.-

Hotkeys shouldn't be a pro they should be a required feature.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

The programms that are only available for OSX are for some people much easier/efficient to use. A great example would me MKBHD. Also if you have trained yourself in all the shortcuts and shortkeys that OSX offers you can browse through the system much more efficiently than in let's say windows. An example of these apps is : Final Cut Pro. 

That's the thing that makes a comparison video like this extremely difficult. For Linus to make a fair and accurate conclusion about OSX, he has to force himself to use it for at least a few weeks so that he can learn about the ins and outs of OSX, memorize shortcuts, and learn all of the best practices when using both exclusive OSX apps and apps/programs available on both operating systems. This is way more of a transition than iOS to Android or vice versa.

During those two weeks, his overall productivity will be significantly reduced due to the fact that he is working entirely in a foreign system. With the amount of work he has to get done every day, that just isn't feasible... Trust me, if you guys saw the amount of work he puts in every day to make sure we are able release all of the great content we do, you would be absolutely blown away.

Not trying to say that this comparison won't happen, but it doesn't seem very feasible with the resources we have available...

But that argument is shit. You could say the exact same thing about Windows. Word for word, and it would still be just as true as when someone says that about OS X.

There are shortkeys in Windows as well. "For some people" and "much easier/efficient to use" is really vague as well.

So basically, the whole "productivity" argument is just inane?

That's the thing that makes a comparison video like this extremely difficult. For Linus to make a fair and accurate conclusion about OSX, he has to force himself to use it for at least a few weeks so that he can learn about the ins and outs of OSX, memorize shortcuts, and learn all of the best practices when using both exclusive OSX apps and apps/programs available on both operating systems. This is way more of a transition than iOS to Android or vice versa.

During those two weeks, his overall productivity will be significantly reduced due to the fact that he is working entirely in a foreign system. With the amount of work he has to get done every day, that just isn't feasible... Trust me, if you guys saw the amount of work he puts in every day to make sure we are able release all of the great content we do, you would be absolutely blown away.

Not trying to say that this comparison won't happen, but it doesn't seem very feasible with the resources we have available...

I thought about this. The thing is it doesn't have to be linus, it can be any LMG member honestly, and as for the productivity part. I'm pretty sure Office/Gmail/Youtube is his main working environment. Since there is Office for mac he shouldn't have a problem really. Besides it's not like linus is not tech savvy, i'm pretty sure he will learn how the os works in like three days. I was forced to use OSX for some time ( mavericks.) and I learned most of the basic functionality in three days. It's not like i didn't have moved work at that time, i photoshopped alot and did some essay wrting etc. I would say it took me 10 hours to earn the OS. My biggest annoyance was actually the placement of the keys on the apple keyboard, Command and Control should be in other possitions hoenslt. 

Anyway I really hope linus bites the bullet and tries it for at least two weeks.

But that argument is shit. You could say the exact same thing about Windows. Word for word, and it would still be just as true as when someone says that about OS X.

There are shortkeys in Windows as well. "For some people" and "much easier/efficient to use" is really vague as well.

So basically, the whole "productivity" argument is just inane?

Ignoring is the best thing i can do with this post. Oh the irony.

Uh... Linux FTW!!