Facebook officially owns Oculus now

Dietrichw

Source

oculus_rift_2-100020595-orig.jpg

It's official: Facebook now actually owns Oculus VR, the company behind virtual reality goggles Oculus Rift. Though the $2 billion acquisition was announced way back in March, these kinds of negotiations typically take months to resolve thanks to various regulations. Now they have. Facebook and Oculus released a joint statement today that simply states: "We're looking forward to an exciting future together, building the next computing platform and reimagining the way people communicate." As for just why the deal took place, Palmer Lucky, Oculus' founder, has said that the plan is to "promote the long-term adoption of virtual reality, not short-term financial returns" and that the partnership would become the "clear and obvious path to delivering virtual reality to everyone."

"Your Failure Is Complete" Darth Vader

:lol:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I could never understand VR gaming, especially with all of the physical limitations that it has. So my response to this is... I don't care.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

My view on this is both positive and negative. It's Facebook, so they will influence the direction of VR somewhat, but the extra cash for Oculus can only mean that we, the consumer, will get a better product, faster, and hopefully cheaper, as they can have a smaller margin on it. Also, with Facebook on board, they will push VR and it will become more mainstream and will have more applications. Sure, you may view it as a bad thing for gaming (even though Facebook said they will have little influence on what Oculus do with the Rift and Palmer has said he is still committed to gaming), but for VR, it will make it better in the long run.

I have tried the DK1 version of the Rift, and it still has some way to go, but I massively enjoyed my experience and won't boycott Oculus just because Facebook bought them.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

I was never interested much in VR anyway.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I'll be interested in VR when it's the matrix kind, otherwise it's a waste of time (to me)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh well sh*t happens.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I could never understand VR gaming, especially with all of the physical limitations that it has. So my response to this is... I don't care.

Maybe right now a shooter or something isnt the greatest but think about like a flight sim or some sort of vehicle sim where u are stationary anyway think about like being able to turn your head and check your mirrors and stuff these are the types of things im excited about. 

i wish people would stop reminding me that facebook owns oculus ....

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

So why is it bad that Zuckerburg owns the Oculus Rift? 

I smell jealously. 

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

So why is it bad that Zuckerburg owns the Oculus Rift? 

I smell jealously. 

You heard of Facebook.com right?  He owns it, what else do you need to know.

Still too early to say anything about its success. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

You heard of Facebook.com right?  He owns it, what else do you need to know.

Yea, and?

What did you build?

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Yea, and?

What did you build?

Nothing that trolls millions of people, but plenty that helps people without trolling them.

The good thing is that Oculus now has a truck load of money available at any time to create and perfect the device. And honestly, I don't think FB will mess with the device too much. The PC community would probably throw a tantrum if they did.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

"The page you were looking for doesn't exist"

The hell!?. 

I can get to the site just fine if i search for it or if i type in the url...

But it doesn't work on this forum.. Hmm

Oh well. Either way it's just a link to the TPG totem site (oculus type thing).

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

The hell!?. 

I can get to the site just fine if i search for it or if i type in the url...

But it doesn't work on this forum.. Hmm

Oh well. Either way it's just a link to the TPG totem site (oculus type thing).

I see what it's doing. I didn't see it earlier cause my text is kinda wonky up in the url bar. I have a custom windows skin that messes with some things that i've just gotten used to. It put the *cough* as part of the url, so here's a fixed url for the lazy http://www.trueplayergear.com/