AFK...for 5 months. What to do?

JDS

So, I will be leaving to college at the beginning of August, and I won't be returning til late December for my winter break.  I'm going to school 1,500 miles away, and transporting my desktop there isn't a wise idea.  Yes, I COULD do it, but transporting is pricey, and dorms are no place for desktops, especially $1,700 ones...Anyway!  I am wondering what the best thing to do is as far as keep my components "safe".  Obviously keep it unplugged, but should I dismantle it, rather than let it sit and accumulate dust? 

BONUS QUESTION:  I have the ability to return my 780 Ti for full credit, would that be a wise idea as I won't be able to take advantage of it when I'm gone?  Then obviously pocket the money for something else.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Secondarily, I hate to be THAT guy, but if I knew what to expect with the 800 series, maybe ditching the Ti wouldn't be such a bad idea, given the performance gain is at least mediocre. 

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

a nice thing to do would be sell some parts, get a mini itx motherboard and something like a bitfenix prodigy and put the 780 ti in there lol but that's just me lol

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

I would unplug it and cover it with a sheet or something, to prevent it from picking up dust. It's going to be safe.

What PC are you going to have over there? Do you have a notebook? Might as well sell the 780ti and build a small budget system over there

a nice thing to do would be sell some parts, get a mini itx motherboard and something like a bitfenix prodigy and put the 780 ti in there lol but that's just me lol

That's what I would do, sell the parts and buy a mITX board/case like a bitfenix prodigy or Colossus (the irony!). that way you could take it! Only problems would be monitor/peripherals. If you don't want to do that, I would just unplug it,and unplug the GPU, leave the rest laying in a safe place.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

just unplug it and yes i would return the card and get a nice laptop there is a discount on HP laptops (i like em)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Cover it with a cloth to prevent dust. Unplug it, and also unplug the power button from the motherboard.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Put it in a zip lock bag, not really maybe find a large plastic box and unplug all your cables and put them with your pc. Maybe cover your PC with cloth to stop it getting scratched.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Return everything OR build a mITX rig to take with you. 

Or just leave everything at home. Unplug the PSU, cover it with an ANTI STATIC CLOTH. Not just any old cloth. 

just unplug it and yes i would return the card and get a nice laptop there is a discount on HP laptops (i like em)

HP makes the shittiest stuff. The cooling fan on my Probook 4530s broke right after the warranty expired. My friend also has a similar issue on his DV7 which was covered under warranty. Also, watch this: 

Skip to 14:00 for the good part

HP makes the shittiest stuff. The cooling fan on my Probook 4530s broke right after the warranty expired. My friend also has a similar issue on his DV7 which was covered under warranty. Also, watch this: 

Skip to 14:00 for the good part

had 2 HP laptops never had a single issue and im getting my 3th hp laptop this summer.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Return everything OR build a mITX rig to take with you. 

Or just leave everything at home. Unplug the PSU, cover it with an ANTI STATIC CLOTH. Not just any old cloth. 

Returning everything would be incredibly inefficient, as I won't have as much money as I do now, for a long time.  I will be able to take it with me when I have my own place in roughly one year.  

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

had 2 HP laptops never had a single issue and im getting my 3th hp laptop this summer.

HP used to be good, but they have really stepped down in quality over the past few years. My mom's five year old HP is running without a hitch yet my 2 year old one is half broken. 

I would quote all of you, but that wouldn't make much sense...the money from the GPU would probably go towards a new notebook.  I need a fairly high spec'd notebook  considering my major is in computer engineering, while having a fair amount of portability (large campus).  Something similar to the Gigabyte P34G v2/The New Razer Blade (why must it be so attractive?!).

Project Insomnia

I would quote all of you, but that wouldn't make much sense...the money from the GPU would probably go towards a new notebook.  I need a fairly high spec'd notebook  considering my major is in computer engineering, while having a fair amount of portability (large campus).  Something similar to the Gigabyte P34G v2/The New Razer Blade (why must it be so attractive?!).

Much smexy Very attractive