RE: 792p Next-Gen Consoles vs. PC - WTF?

escape336

These are just my thoughts on the video LTT recently posted on YouTube.

The reason I started this topic is so I could more easily get feedback on the video, but also so I could hear what you guys think of the video.

Here's the original video:

And here is my response to that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCG6wIsT8m0&feature=youtu.be

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a bit of a noob as far as reviews are concerned and with video-making as a whole :P

LOL Mii channel music from Wii XDDD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Fasten your seatbelts for all the incoming messages!

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I wanted to reply but I forgot what I wanted to said

I'm hungry

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Fasten your seatbelts for all the incoming messages!

*Puts on crash helmet and bullet-proof vest*

I believe they are right. The so called "Next Gen Consoles" does not feel so "Next Gen" as they were expected to ! 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

I guarantee you if they did the tests with a dual core in the PC, the tests would be very very very close to the same. Like... a few percent difference.

Obviously they're utilizing all 8 of those cores in the consoles.

Also, there ain't nothing bias about 60fps and 1080p being objectively better. Of course he used a sarcastic tone for a "console grade experience", it's a worse experience than a PC.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

From a video-watching perspective, I shouldn't have to stop a video or rewind to read some of the captions.

Besides that, what is there to say?  You probably won't find too many allies here, I'm guessing.

My personal feelings are that you get what you pay for.  Sony/Microsoft went for low price consoles this generation and they are paying for it in terms of hardware power.  There is no sorcery in the making of a console, it is a heavily modded SFF PC.  You can only get so much out of $400-500 of components.  You pay more, a LOT more, for a PC that will maintain 60fps @ 1080p/1440p resolution at high/ultra game settings.  The graphics cards for such PCs (the 1440p one in particular) cost as much or more than a living room with all the current consoles.  There is little compare.

Console performance will probably get better over time, they usually do.  Devs make exclusives for the machine that use up every bit of resource efficiently, but development cycles are on the order of half a decade.  (Ex: Genji: Day of the Blade in 2008 vs. The Last of Us in 2013, same hardware).

Play games on whatever you want to play on?

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

This is just adding more to the silly little console/PC war. We can still walk away from this video with the clear understanding that "next-gen" consoles are no better than five year old PC hardware.

Calling out a bias is going to get you no where. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I literally don't know how to reply to such idiocy. What an incredibly misinformed video you've made.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

From a video-watching perspective, I shouldn't have to stop a video or rewind to read some of the captions.

Besides that, what is there to say?  You probably won't find too many allies here, I'm guessing.

My personal feelings are that you get what you pay for.  Sony/Microsoft went for low price consoles this generation and they are paying for it in terms of hardware power.  There is no sorcery in the making of a console, it is a heavily modded SFF PC.  You can only get so much out of $400-500 of components.  You pay more, a LOT more, for a PC that will maintain 60fps @ 1080p/1440p resolution at high/ultra game settings.  The graphics cards for such PCs (the 1440p one in particular) cost as much or more than a living room with all the current consoles.

$600 to make a PC that will run the vast majority of games, including BF4, at 60fps 1080p. Not at ultra but on high.

You are completely right about 1440p though, that shit is EXPENSIVE.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

You can get a PC that will run games far better than consoles for £500; add that to the fact that the console components are mostly soldered onto a single PCB, that saves a lot of money for them. The reason they run so badly is that they DON'T use the best components they could afford at that price for profit.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

So I didn't watch the reply video...well okay I watched four seconds of it, but I don't really agree with someone copying someone else's content and just putting text over it - maybe it got better but I wasn't interested. Coupled with trying to get views by posting a link to that copied content on the original content creators website, I chose not to support your video.

I did however watch the Tech Tips video, which I will reply to here. Firstly I enjoy watching the Tech Tips videos, really good production value, Linus and the team seem like good guys. I'm just a bit over the whole consoles vs PC's debate, and I think given the talent of Linus and his team they could focus on other stuff. There just isn't any basis for competition between the systems, while XB1 and PS4 owners argue about HD and 60FPS, PC guys/gals talk about 4k gaming and steam sales. PC's are simply leagues ahead of consoles, and as an owner of an XB1 and Wii U that's just the way it is.

Buddy, you took this way to personally. Get a (better) life.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I thought RE: videos died out. Or at least videos without women with their boobs on the thumbnail. It seems like you don't think the video was fair at all. On PC there are no AMD Jaguars. Maybe Luke could have tried underclocking an FX-8320 to 1.8 GHz but I don't even know if that's possible. It also appears that your only way of defending the consoles is by attacking a video that had some difficulty making the comparison fair.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Why ruin the fun?

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

The only ones who believes in a "console vs PC war" are the same types who shitpost on /b/ and take Tumblr posts seriously. Both are two entirely different platforms. Next gen simply means "next generation" and not HOLY BALLS TEH GRAPHICS!!!1111!!1. The Xbox One, PS4 and Wii-U /are/ the next generation of /consoles/. Just like a GTX 880 will be a part of the next generation of gpu. That's all this means.

I swear, the level of nerd on this forum sometimes is sad.

tl;dr Anyone over the age of 8 that takes console vs pc seriously needs to grow up.

Mocking is whatever, but some members here take all of this way too seriously.

did not know being biased changes how the hardware of the pc or xbox one functions

still do not know what your vid tries to prove... the xbox 1 is faster than a gaming pc???

person below me is a scrub

$600 to make a PC that will run the vast majority of games, including BF4, at 60fps 1080p. Not at ultra but on high.

You are completely right about 1440p though, that shit is EXPENSIVE.

Try 4K, it made my 780's cry in shame.