Which PC games are the most poorly optimized?

F2K8

Hey, recently built a PC that can run a few decent games and going to go on a short gaming spree, just want to steer away from the poorly optimized games as I'm not looking forward to troubleshooting instead of actually gaming.

So, over the last decade, which games have been the most poorly optimized (most likely console ports)? I'll start it off.

For me, GTA IV was terrible, it ran like absolute crap, yet it still looked terrible! 

Oh, and Thief! It runs terribly! It stutters ever so much and once again, doesn't look 'phenomenal'. 

Yours? 

PC SPECS: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5Ghz (CPU) || MSI 970A-G43 (MB) || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz (RAM) || MSI AMD 6870 1GB (GPU) || Aerocool 6th Element (CASE) || Sandisk 64GB SSD + Seagate 500GB HDD (STORAGE) || XFX 550w Pro Series (PSU) || ASUS MX239H 23" (MONITOR) || Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (COOLER) || Logitech G110 (KEYBOARD)

watch dogs - first!

EDIT: shit

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Any Ubisoft game from recent years they have just been horrible optimization wise.If you can get past that then the games are actually decent.

Watch Dogs lolololololol

Laughing-GIF.gif

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Grand Theft Auto IV, Dark Souls and Need for Speed Rivals.

144Hz goodness

• Watch_Dogs
  • Max Payne 3
  • GTA IV
  • Assassins Creed 3
  • Dark Souls (I can't really blame them for that)

Max Payne 3?

With my old 560Ti, I could have that game at almost max settings with 300 FPS ._. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

• Watch_Dogs
  • Max Payne 3
  • GTA IV
  • Assassins Creed 3
  • Dark Souls (I can't really blame them for that)

Why Max Payne? it even runs fairly well on my 570 rig.

Max Payne 3?

With my old 560Ti, I could have that game at almost max settings with 300 FPS ._. 

Why Max Payne? it even runs fairly well on my 570 rig.

It became playable after some time, but in the beginning it couldn't run on anything. And if you enabled AA the game just broke down.

Another badly optimized game was Batman: Arkham City, although that became playable with time aswell. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Grand Theft Auto IV, Dark Souls and Need for Speed Rivals.

Of course, forgot about NFS Rivals, such a badly optimized game! The fact that they tried to lock it at 60fps proves it! 

EDIT: 30fps*

PC SPECS: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5Ghz (CPU) || MSI 970A-G43 (MB) || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz (RAM) || MSI AMD 6870 1GB (GPU) || Aerocool 6th Element (CASE) || Sandisk 64GB SSD + Seagate 500GB HDD (STORAGE) || XFX 550w Pro Series (PSU) || ASUS MX239H 23" (MONITOR) || Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (COOLER) || Logitech G110 (KEYBOARD)

Saints row 2

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

GTA IV (runs bad even with my 290)

Watch Dogs

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Metro 2033

Arma II (DayZ too)

Minesweeper

Saints Row 2

Adventures of Slickenia: The Incredible Linus (running on the Pickle engine)

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Saints row 2

that game is just fucked up. The controls and the engine are terrible, absolueley unplayable. But it ran fine if i recall correctly.

who cares...

Seeing Watch Dogs a lot, I was actually going to buy it when it became cheaper haha, may steer away from it now. 

Command and Conquer Generals, the SAGE engine has one of the worst path findings when it comes to RTS games. It's so inefficient that causes high end systems to "clog" like 7 fps after an hour of playtime.

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

that game is just fucked up. The controls and the engine are terrible, absolueley unplayable. But it ran fine if i recall correctly.

It did not. At least with my 3Ghz dual core amd couldn't handle it at lowest settings 30fps at least. Minimum is 2ghz amd :) .GPU did not bottlenecked btw. Tho I really liked this game, it offered and still offers one of the most fun co-op experience.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

in my experience watchdogs and amazing spiderman.

This thread could actually be made sticky and used a reference for people to know which games to avoid. Also we should discourage people from using lines such as 'it pushes hardware to the limits' as an excuse for bad optimization. Poor performance is nothing to be celebrated, Although some pc fans think it is. In reality we should boycott these games.

Black & White. Runs just as well on a Pentium II + Voodoo 3 as it does on a 4770k + 290X.

that is because it was optimised for that generation, it came out over 13 years ago, amazing game though 

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Guild Wars 2 is supposedly obnoxiously CPU heavy and needs a top of the line CPU to play WvW on max settings.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Minecraft, actually.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Of course, forgot about NFS Rivals, such a badly optimized game! The fact that they tried to lock it at 60fps proves it!

They locked it to 30FPS

144Hz goodness

Command and Conquer Generals, the SAGE engine has one of the worst path findings when it comes to RTS games. It's so inefficient that causes high end systems to "clog" like 7 fps after an hour of playtime.

oh come on i used to play that with a buddy of mine for hours like literally the hole night back in high school and i always blamed my bad internet connection for the stutter and now youre telling me the engine is fucked up ? :(

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3