Moving away from Bitdefender, what do you use?

I am uninstalling my bitdefender, after the software often give too many false positives on the trading software that I use. Once the application is blocked under Active Virus Control, I could not restore the file, and including them in the exclusion list did not help. The same applications are blocked, and with the latest upgrade. I couldn't restore the file. 

I have decided to move on and use something else. Is there a particular service you would recommend? 

Avast Free for active and Malwarebytes for a monthly "deep clean." Been using it for about 2 years now and I've been perfectly clean.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i haven't used any antivirus at all, for atleast 2 years or so, i'm not saying this to boast or anything, true story for real , i should get the free ones atleast, but it makes my already dumb system slower, i literally haven't had any problems with the systems, maybe the default windows firewall, that's it.

Point being, you don't need to buy a subscription based AV to get the bleeding edge protection, signatures are kinda similar & most of the free ones (reputable ones) do a better job than payed ones, unless you want 24x coustomer services, Recommendation, Avast/AVG/Kasper free tier, antimalbwareytes,avg,PCTools etc..

Details separate people.

I use nothing but common since. I have not used a anitvirus for almost 7 years now.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Malwarebytes FTW! Get a premium version for real-time protection

I used both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes premium.

Got the latter before they upgraded the packages. 

What do small medium enterprises use? 

I used both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes premium.

Got the latter before they upgraded the packages. 

What do small medium enterprises use? 

Mcafee and Norton. Ahnlab parts of Asia. I recommed you use Norton 360. Buy the key from G2A.com It is pretty cheap there. You might want to get AVG Tuneup to keep junks off your computer.

On a side note, I am considering selling one of my activation keys to a forum member here. Payment by paypal. 

The order was placed in Feb 13 2014.

Selling software is not allowed on forum or in Classifieds.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I use malwarebytes premium for realtime protection

I have AVG and Kaspersky on USB thumb drives that I boot too and scan once a month with both so if I did catch anything on the computers the virus or trojen etc is not running on a live filesystem when its scanned for.  

From my experience I have had trouble with pretty much every antivirus program messing up my games. The only antivirus I have installed is Microsoft Security Essentials, and that is currently disabled.

Browse smart and you shouldn't have a problem with a virus or a need for an antivirus program.

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

I use the free AVG defender and it also shows a bunch of false positives, but the exceptions list works 

malwarebytes and ccleaner

Selling software is not allowed on forum or in Classifieds.

noted. apologies for that. 

I previously used Bullguard (shared account with a friend back then) before switching to Bitdefender. What are the LTT consensus on it? as well as Kaspersky?

microsoft defender which comes with windows 8

person below me is a scrub

Nothing, I don't download shit that I don't know where it came from. If you are smart about your PC you won't even need anti virus. 

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Point being, you don't need to buy a subscription based AV to get the bleeding edge protection, signatures are kinda similar & most of the free ones (reputable ones) do a better job than payed ones, unless you want 24x coustomer services, Recommendation, Avast/AVG/Kasper free tier, antimalbwareytes,avg,PCTools etc..

Not true. Demonstrably so.

I use nothing but common since. I have not used a anitvirus for almost 7 years now.

Statistics would say this is more luck than common sense because there are many silent viruses for Windows that are unavoidable with common sense.

Mcafee and Norton. Ahnlab parts of Asia. I recommed you use Norton 360. Buy the key from G2A.com It is pretty cheap there. You might want to get AVG Tuneup to keep junks off your computer.

Norton is a terrible idea, there are several viruses that exploit vulnerabilities in Norton to shut it down and make it appear like nothing is actually infected. 

The whole tuneup software is a scam as well (except sometimes for registry, by sometimes I mean 10+ years) because there is really no such thing as harmful "junk" on your computer.

From my experience I have had trouble with pretty much every antivirus program messing up my games. The only antivirus I have installed is Microsoft Security Essentials, and that is currently disabled.

Browse smart and you shouldn't have a problem with a virus or a need for an antivirus program.

Browsing smart doesn't help in all cases, as I have said before.

Nothing, I don't download shit that I don't know where it came from. If you are smart about your PC you won't even need anti virus. 

This is not true, and by spreading lies like this you are creating a larger attack surface for the entire Windows community.

Don't ask this kind of question in an online forum. All you are going to get are responses like these. If you want scientific evidence, avtest.org tests and validates antivirus softwares.

I would advise not getting rid of BitDefender, it has been consistently among their top five choices (often number one) for the past several years.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Statistics would say this is more luck than common sense because there are many silent viruses for Windows that are unavoidable with common sense.

I can see were you are coming from, but if it's luck, then my common sense has to very high, even in sports it very,very hard to win 7 years in a row, so I must be doing something right :D main reason why statistics are not always correct unless it has to deal with a minority of something.

A major statistic is always based off of a minor amount of people that are in the world, it could be 1000 people, it could be 100,000, it could even be a million people, and that is not even 2% of the world. There are over six billion people in the world, it is almost impossible to get an accurate statistic correct.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

This is not true, and by spreading lies like this you are creating a larger attack surface for the entire Windows community.

What... Are you kidding me... like are you really that unknowledgeable, if you run the standard windows security you don't need after market stuff, just be careful what you download....

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

What... Are you kidding me... like are you really that unknowledgeable, if you run the standard windows security you don't need after market stuff, just be careful what you download....

And what you browse and a bunch of other things. I used to do no antivirus but for how cheap it in I relation to my time in having to redo a computer its worth it. It also comes in handy when fixing other people PCs as you can check for virus's when backing up.

I was clean for the longest time and then just before win 8 launch my Firefox kept getting infected even when I rolled it back.

I can see were you are coming from, but if it's luck, then my common sense has to very high, even in sports it very,very hard to win 7 years in a row, so I must be doing something right :D main reason why statistics are not always correct unless it has to deal with a minority of something.

A major statistic is always based off of a minor amount of people that are in the world, it could be 1000 people, it could be 100,000, it could even be a million people, and that is not even 2% of the world. There are over six billion people in the world, it is almost impossible to get an accurate statistic correct.

Your saying that sample size is incorrect, but you have no basis on which to prove that. 

No, I think you're the unknowledgeable one here. I've actually exploited Windows vulnerabilities before, I doubt you have.

There are very easy ways of accessing Windows from Internet Explorer and slightly harder ones through Chrome and Firefox etc. It is very easy to make a virus that is completely undetectable and will download silently in the background. It is also even easier to socially engineer you to download something and use a trojan to infect from there. You can also make viruses that exploit the antivirus itself, thought that's pretty hard. Norton has several known exploits, but there is a way to compromise all antivirus softwares. 

Windows Defender/Security Essentials is a joke. Even with a real antivirus you're still dead in the water versus zero days and detection rates are only around 70% at best. That's why I advise doing all browsing in a Linux VM or better yet, an entire other Linux installation or a BSD system.

You're talking with a greyhat, bro. Don't tell me you know what you're talking about when I know you don't.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Your saying that sample size is incorrect, but you have no basis on which to prove that. 

The same way as you can not prove it on a big scale either, because there is no way to get everyone in this world to do a certain statistic  :)  basically you contradicted yourself. No pun intended.

No, I think you're the unknowledgeable one here. I've actually exploited Windows vulnerabilities before, I doubt you have.

There are very easy ways of accessing Windows from Internet Explorer and slightly harder ones through Chrome and Firefox etc. It is very easy to make a virus that is completely undetectable and will download silently in the background. It is also even easier to socially engineer you to download something and use a trojan to infect from there. You can also make viruses that exploit the antivirus itself, thought that's pretty hard. Norton has several known exploits, but there is a way to compromise all antivirus softwares. 

Windows Defender/Security Essentials is a joke. Even with a real antivirus you're still dead in the water versus zero days and detection rates are only around 70% at best. That's why I advise doing all browsing in a Linux VM or better yet, an entire other Linux installation or a BSD system.

You're talking with a greyhat, bro. Don't tell me you know what you're talking about when I know you don't.

omg. call yourself what you want, anyone can watch a youtube tutorial, notice in every instance of the virus being introduced to a system you mentioned download. be careful what you download and what you click... its not fucking rocket science. 

omg. call yourself what you want, anyone can watch a youtube tutorial, notice in every instance of the virus being introduced to a system you mentioned download. be careful what you download and what you click... its not fucking rocket science. 

It's not rocket science. It's incredibly easy, that's why there are so many Windows viruses and why you need antivirus software.

What does "download silently in the background" mean to you? As in, you don't even half to click a link. You won't even see the download happening. It will happen silently and then it will install itself.

I do call myself whatever I want, though I can guarantee that invariably I will know more about security than you do and that's because I break it (not publicly, of course) for fun and knowledge. 

You shouldn't trust me. I don't ask you to. Just please spare other people the ignorance of your ways.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /