Moving away from Bitdefender, what do you use?

It's not rocket science. It's incredibly easy, that's why there are so many Windows viruses and why you need antivirus software.

What does "download silently in the background" mean to you? As in, you don't even half to click a link. You won't even see the download happening. It will happen silently and then it will install itself.

I do call myself whatever I want, though I can guarantee that invariably I will know more about security than you do and that's because I break it (not publicly, of course) for fun and knowledge. 

You shouldn't trust me. I don't ask you to. Just please spare other people the ignorance of your ways.

I'm the ignorant one.. really. I am sorry you feel this way. I am done arguing with you because simply I don't give a shit. Have fun doing what ever it is you do. Sorry to the OP as they had to read our argument, as for Buider I wish you the best with what ever you are doing. Have a nice day I guess...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I'm the ignorant one.. really. I am sorry you feel this way. I am done arguing with you because simply I don't give a shit. Have fun doing what ever it is you do. Sorry to the OP as they had to read our argument, as for Buider I wish you the best with what ever you are doing. Have a nice day I guess...

Yes, you're the ignorant one who's telling people they don't need antivirus on a platform that gets 110,000 new viruses every year and for which zero days are discovered every two weeks...

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yes, you're the ignorant one who's telling people they don't need antivirus on a platform that gets 110,000 new viruses every year and for which zero days are discovered every two weeks...

You don't need to keep spewing garbage to me, I said I was done lol...  I won't reply after this.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

You don't need to keep spewing garbage to me, I said I was done lol...  I won't reply after this.

I'm sorry, did I say 110,000 per year? I meant 200,00 per DAY.

This is why you need antivirus on a PC:

http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2012/2012_by_the_numbers_Kaspersky_Lab_now_detects_200000_new_malicious_programs_every_day

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

i haven't used any antivirus at all, for atleast 2 years or so, i'm not saying this to boast or anything, true story for real , i should get the free ones atleast, but it makes my already dumb system slower, i literally haven't had any problems with the systems, maybe the default windows firewall, that's it.

Point being, you don't need to buy a subscription based AV to get the bleeding edge protection, signatures are kinda similar & most of the free ones (reputable ones) do a better job than payed ones, unless you want 24x coustomer services, Recommendation, Avast/AVG/Kasper free tier, antimalbwareytes,avg,PCTools etc..

I use nothing but common since. I have not used a anitvirus for almost 7 years now.

From my experience I have had trouble with pretty much every antivirus program messing up my games. The only antivirus I have installed is Microsoft Security Essentials, and that is currently disabled.

Browse smart and you shouldn't have a problem with a virus or a need for an antivirus program.

Nothing, I don't download shit that I don't know where it came from. If you are smart about your PC you won't even need anti virus. 

For those saying you don't need an anti-virus... Please, just stop. Common Sense is NOT an anti-virus. While you personally may feel secure browsing without one, I kindly ask you to NEVER recommend that to anyone else. If someone wants to browse insecurely, then they should do so on their own decision, not because they saw it recommended on a tech enthusiast forum.

First: Common sense will only help you so much. Legitimate websites can (and have) be hijacked or infected with malicious code. If this happens, good luck with common sense. What would you do if LTT got infected with a virus?

Second: As previously mentioned, there are tons of silent or otherwise visually undetectable viruses/trojans/malicious code that live online. Just because you don't see anything happens means nothing at all.

Third: Viruses also spread through people transferring files, email attachments, etc. If you're borrowing a file from your friends USB stick but his stick has a virus on it that he doesn't know about, how are YOU going to know about it? And if you say "Well I never download files from a USB stick" well sure okay that might work for you, but that ISN'T common sense. The average person, and 99.9% of tech enthusiasts, would need to attach a USB stick from a friend or coworker to their computer every now and then.

Without an anti-virus, you will have zero protection from these situations.

If you want to risk that, certainly go for it. But please do not spread lies and misinformation saying that common sense is enough for the modern internet... because that hasn't been true in probably 10 years. You've been lucky. That's like saying "Well I haven't been in a car accident, so I don't need to wear a seat belt". Yeah sure, you won't need the seat belt until it's too late.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

huge quote :P

Meh! that's true, but come on, when the government is doing worse scamming than so called "hackers" , What's the point in having a government oversited softwares with backdoors to 'protect' us. of course there will be deep layered attacks even when you have a top edge antivirus, Wearing Seatbelts or not when the crash is this huge & it's time , you're gonna to die anyways! B)

Anyways, i'm geting one , because you do have a valid point, atleast save out on some bruises while i'm at it.

Details separate people.

I decided to give Webroot a chance. So far I'm extremely satisfied. I'm running Malwarebytes Premium as well.

If you don't want to pay for both, Avast paired with Malwarebytes Premium is a good combo. Please ignore 'I use Common Sense 2014' nonsense.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Don't ask this kind of question in an online forum. All you are going to get are responses like these. If you want scientific evidence, avtest.org tests and validates antivirus softwares.

I would advise not getting rid of BitDefender, it has been consistently among their top five choices (often number one) for the past several years.

I am aware of the strengths and reputation of Bitdefender, which is actually why I chose this, but it being very good to a point of giving too many false positives is hindering my work-related software to a point where it is counter productive.

Exclude every related exe application turns out to be futile effort, as these commands are not followed for some reason...for both folders and exe commands.

In response to some forum members' points on common sense approach, though in principle I agree wholeheartedly, I don't think you'd take this approach in practice when it relates to your income-related work. Had it been a different rig for non-core purposes, I might have done it. 

On Norton, read a lot about using up CPU resources. Bullguard, ESET and Kaspersky are well received, the latter 2 are used by some industry peers. 

On Norton, read a lot about using up CPU resources. Bullguard, ESET and Kaspersky are well received, the latter 2 are used by some industry peers. 

Norton is a very bad idea for a number of reasons, the least of them being CPU usage. There are viruses that attack and defeat Norton to avoid being discovered, also Norton's developer Symantec has declared that "PC security is dead." I don't want to hear that from the company providing my antivirus. 

Kaspersky is very good. They log nearly 315k new signatures per day.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I am aware of the strengths and reputation of Bitdefender, which is actually why I chose this, but it being very good to a point of giving too many false positives is hindering my work-related software to a point where it is counter productive.

Exclude every related exe application turns out to be futile effort, as these commands are not followed for some reason...for both folders and exe commands.

In response to some forum members' points on common sense approach, though in principle I agree wholeheartedly, I don't think you'd take this approach in practice when it relates to your income-related work. Had it been a different rig for non-core purposes, I might have done it. 

Norton is a very bad idea for a number of reasons, the least of them being CPU usage. There are viruses that attack and defeat Norton to avoid being discovered, also Norton's developer Symantec has declared that "PC security is dead." I don't want to hear that from the company providing my antivirus. 

Kaspersky is very good. They log nearly 315k new signatures per day.

I can also highly recommend Kaspersky. Their Home level options are reasonably priced and work quite well. The GUI is easy enough to use, and it's not OVERLY resource hungry (Any modern AV with active is going to be somewhat resource hungry, but on a modern system such as an i5 with 8GB of RAM or equivalent will be able to run basically any AV with zero noticeable performance issues). And if you live in North America at least, you can EASILY find Kaspersky Internet Security or Kaspersky Pure (The two top level packages they sell) for $20 or $30 on sale respectively. This happens every couple of months in Canada at the minimum. And generally if one place isn't on sale (Staples for example), then somewhere else it is (Best Buy, etc).

We use their Enterprise Level Software, Kaspersky Endpoint 10 at work, with around 120-ish Computers (A Library with 4 branches, though only the Staff computers are using Kaspersky ATM, the public ones are using a different older AV + Deep Freeze). And it's administrative console on the server is quite comprehensive. Links in with Active Directory, can take complete control AWAY from the user (which is what we want in this situation - they can do custom scans... that's about it). Ability for remote scanning, remote updates of signatures on demand, remote changing of any and all settings, and even remote installs which WORK! ... most of the time anyway.

I was using Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 last year until the subscription ran out. Now I'm using AVAST Free for the moment. I might upgrade to AVAST Premium, or go back to Kaspersky with one of their many sales. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've been running the Avast!/Malwarebytes combo for years. Avast! for passve protection/scanning, and Malwarebytes for a deep clean bi-monthly. Had some stuff slip through on occasion, and I get false positives from teh K-lie Codec pack (password protected), and my virtual Machines (decompression bombs), but I've never had a major issue.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section