Do you think there will be a new MMORPG hit like Runescape or WoW? [Discussion]

Jeroen1322

Hi guys!

Do you think there will be a new MMORPG that will just blow everybody away and becomes a legend like Runescape and WoW or do you think the gerne is dying out? 

Lets have a civil discussion! :)

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Hi guys!

Do you think there will be a new MMORPG that will just blow everybody away and becomes a legend like Runescape and WoW or do you think the gerne is dying out? 

One day, one day. 

World of Warcraft 2?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Hi guys!

Runescape never went too far, I wouldn't call it a legend. But I believe the MMO genre is picking up so something good is bound to happen.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I don't think MMOs are going to be a thing in the future, there just doesn't seem to be a stable business model that works very well.

Free to play is pay to win, and other MMORPGS are overpriced.

Free to play is pay to win, and other MMORPGS are overpriced.

Yup, but 7million people still will play and pay wow, if wow goes FTP then they are going to make a fair bit of money and get millions of new players coming in

Runescape never went too far, I wouldn't call it a legend. But I believe the MMO genre is picking up so something good is bound to happen.

Oh it was huge here. Playing an mmo in a browser couple years back was AMAZING.  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Does Star Citizen count as an mmo game. If not what ever blizzard thinks off next.

One day, one day. 

World of Warcraft 2?

Now with 5 year old graphics instead of 15 year old graphics..

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

So, barring a purple squirrel scenario (someone with a LOT of money takes 2-3x the development time of a normal MMO to release a product of equivalent quality to WoW 1 year after release) the only way to dethrone WoW is to have an IP people care about enough to stick with it through the 'crap' period of the first year. Additionally, the developer/publisher (both, preferably) need to be privately owned; similar to how Valve is. Why? Because a publicly traded company will get pressure from investors to go F2P, or discounts, or a million other things during that first year while all the bugs and kinks are worked out.

I went through two MMO launches: Earth and Beyond, and WoW. In both cases the first year was dedicated to bug fixes, backend upgrades and debugging, and general maintenance. 0 content was added. Subscriber numbers were high initially, then started to fall. After that first year, content patches began to roll and subscribers grew again. Both IPs survived this year, in part, because they held exclusive rights to their IPs. You can't get 'WoW' from any other source except blizzard. You can't get the Jenquai/Progen/Terran spaceships from any other source than Westwood (RIP). That exclusivity is by far the most powerful force for surviving that first year. If people can get their lore fix from another source...they won't put up with all the poo of the first year.

SW:TOR made three mistakes on release:

1. It tried to compete with KOTOR and KOTOR2, which are much better games from an RPG mechanics standpoint. People could get fed up with SW:TOR and simply go play KOTOR for their SW fix. Or battlefront, or Jedi Academy...etc. Hell, some would even go back to SW:Galaxies
  2. Development was rushed to the degree that they could not fix all the bugs/defects they had within that first year.
  3. Because SoE is a publicly traded company, investors watched their stock prices dip and demanded a F2P model out of ignorance, dooming SW:TOR moving forward. The fanbase asked for F2P too, but investors pull strings, not fans.

People turned against the subscription fee model and now an endless stream of shite F2P MMO games attempt to squeeze your pockets with their microtransaction bullshit.

As for RuneScape... Well that is now both subscription and pay-to-win, and practically everyone except the diehard loyalists hate the developer, Jagex. Good job!

- I miss the days when I was 14 and played RS. *sigh*

I find Wildstar's model to be great. I never had a problem with subscription MMOs (actually prefer them over "Free to Play") but Wildstar has the best of both worlds, you can either pay the €12/month or buy CREDD(either with real money or in game currency) which can be used for game time. A month has passed and I already have enough CREDD for this month and the next 3 so pretty much anyone can sustain the subscription fee from just playing, granted that Wildstar may not appeal to a lot of people as it requires a bit of a time sink.

CPU: i5-4670k @4.6GHz 1.32v | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | Mobo: Asus Z87 PLUS | GPU: Radeon HD7850(970 Soon) | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 830 | HDD: 1TB WB Blue, 2x2TB Seagate RAID 1, WD MyBook 2TB External Media Drive | Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Orange

Guild Wars 2 has been a hit so far, as one of the fastest selling MMOs with a very active community even now, 2 years after launch. The naysayers claiming there's "not enough content at endgame" are wrong. There's a sheer amount of content, all for free. http://kichwas.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/guild-wars-2-a-rare-intrinsic-reward-based-mmo-or-why-loot-is-so-low/

That said, GW2 isn't refined - it's getting there. ArenaNet has set the stage for a ton more content that they can deliver, as well as updated some of their initial design since launch. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yup, but 7million people still will play and pay wow, if wow goes FTP then they are going to make a fair bit of money and get millions of new players coming in

Lots of new people come in -> They get addicted -> Subscription will be required again.

With that said, WoW ftw. WoW will not die for the next (atleast 5) years and no MMO will take over for a good time. They thought Wildstar would take over WoW, Look where the game is now. WoW still has 7 million subs and it's a 10 year old game.

tl;dr: WoW is still the king of all MMORPGs

I don't think MMOs are going to be a thing in the future, there just doesn't seem to be a stable business model that works very well.

Except for WoW and the billions upon billions of dollars that it's pulled in for Blizzard. True it's not as popular as it used to be, but 7.6 million paying subscribers is nothing to laugh at. Taking into account varying prices from different countries, if players only paid an average of $10 a month, instead of the US price of $15 a month, that would bring in $70.6 million dollars a month JUST from player subscriptions. That adds up to $847.2 million per year, again JUST from subscriptions. 

WoW has only remained a consistent money maker for Blizzard because it's not Free to Play. If it ever did go F2P it would collapse in less than a year.  DotA 2 and LoL may have the largest player bases in the world, but they also have the two worst communities in the world. Disgustingly toxic environments that require massive amounts of resources just to police all the complaints. Also, Riot Games, the developer for LoL, only had $600 million in revenue in 2013, despite it's massive player base. As I already pointed out, Blizzard makes more money than that just off subscriptions. You have to take that $847 million and add to it the ever increasing list of micro transactions that Blizzard offers and the expansion packs that come out every couple of years.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

The only one that has a chance is Everquest Next. Wild Star is niche (hardcore raiders) and the hardware requirements are too aggressive for it to be super popular. WoW hits every player base. PvP, mini games, Raiding. Casual raiding.

WoW pleases a lot of people, is easy to run, and there are a lot of people out there playing on laptops etc. Niche games can succeed like Wild Star (pve), Guild Wars  (pvp), but as far as any of these games being as big as WoW? Nah. 

Also sandbox is what we had in the first place with Ultima Online. People say they want it, but they really don't. I personally loved that game, but people jumped ship to a theme park as soon as one came out (Everquest). SWTOR had a chance. It was a game engine away and a year of polish away from really being able to kill WoW. 

I think Wild Star will end up like Tera. Not dead, and viable, but not close to challenging WoW. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Hopefully but I doubt it, the genre is dying imo

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

Not unless someone pulls off a Sword art online NerveGear and ditching the current microtransactions/pay2win/F2p model

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Not unless someone pulls off a Sword art online NerveGear and ditching the current microtransactions/pay2win/F2p model

Of course, but more amusphere esqe so not as many people would die...

I've played around a bit with Archeage...don't think it will be extremely popular, but is still fun to mess around with.  Interested in Shroud of the Avatar too, but it has an insane buy-in for any viable content upon release.

I wish there will be.  And I believe one day there will be.  One of the greatest problems for MMOs right now is most MMO combat is just dreary.  Tab-target and push number buttons.  There are beginning to be glimmers of hope in MMO combat in the forms of TERA, Vindictus, Wildstar, and Guild Wars 2.  But they all suffer from problems.  TERA is just a WoW clone with an AMAZING combat system, but the questing system will bore you to death.  Vindictus also has amazing combat, but it's limited to peer2peer connections and instances-only.  Wildstar and Guild Wars 2 also have Action combat but for the love of god developers, learn to root characters into place when attacking. Sidestepping while attacking just feels god-awful and removes any kind of visual momentum in a strike.

Maybe there really has to be a large breakthrough in VR technology to really see the MMO genre take off again.  

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

ArcheAge is a fun sandbox MMORPG but gotta pay over $150 to get into the alpha