Maybe the last HDD you would want/get? HGST Ultrastar C10K1800

Misanthrope

HGST launches Ultrastar C10K1800, world's highest capacity and best performing 10K RPM HDD

2014-07-09-image-8.jpg

I'm certainly exited at the continuous price drops on SSD drives to the point that at least for your OS drive it's almost essential, specially for frequent dual booters like me (trust me when you have to constantly switch between Linux for everyday usage and Windows for some games and windows-only apps that just won't cut it on wine, fast boot times are invaluable) but given the size and density of this drive this is actually damn exiting for a mechanical:

The C10K1800 is a 1.8TB drive stuffed into a 2.5-inch form factor with platters spinning at 10,000 RPM. It uses HGST's media cache architecture which uses a portion of the platters as a drive cache. This technology provides a boost of up to 2.5X in random write performance and a 23 percent improvement in sequential performance over prior generation 2.5-inch SFF 10K drives.

Now the drive speeds might seem like nothing for even the crappiest of the SSDs on a slow day, but considering the space on this I think seems like a better compromise than a slow hdd with some ssd as catch for those hybrid drives since you're getting actual speeds on everything there (mostly, but you could optimize your partitions) instead of learning algorithms:

The drive features a latency average of 2.85ms with a maximum sustained transfer rate of 247MB/sec. What it does offer, however, is more value in terms of capacity versus price.

What do you think, would you include one of this on an mITX small built like a Silverstone one to do away with bulkier 3.5 inch drives?

Source: http://www.techspot.com/news/57362-hgst-launches-ultrastar-c10k1800-worlds-highest-capacity-and-best-performing-10k-rpm-hdd.html

-------

Current Rig

-------

Maybe. Depends on the actual price though. And how much noise/vibrations it gives off.

I want to point out that it's a SAS drive. Good luck finding a normal gaming motherboard with SAS connectors. It'd be epic for the M-ITX server motherboards though.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Maybe. Depends on the actual price though. And how much noise/vibrations it gives off.

I want to point out that it's a SAS drive. Good luck finding a normal gaming motherboard with SAS connectors. It'd be epic for the M-ITX server motherboards though.

Yea I missed that so probably not going to be useful for most unless you get a sas controller so it defeats the purpose.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yea I missed that so probably not going to be useful for most unless you get a sas controller so it defeats the purpose.

Still, it'd be nice for a NAS. Depends on price though, of course. Thanks for sharing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

SSD's are pretty cheap now. Depending on the size you actually need you can pay pretty low prices. For Linux all you really need is a 30GB SSD and a 500GB HDD for media. Or if you just use Linux for basic tasks like browsing and trying to learn how to use Linux you can pick up a 60GB SSD for around £30 which is a really good price. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I'd rather use 7,200rpm if it's a storage drive, because I'm not going to use a standard HDD as an OS drive considering the price of SSDs now, not even a 10,000rpm drive that'll probably wear out too soon and is the wrong form factor, unless I want an incredibly rattly and noisy laptop.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I'd be a bit nervous with a 10K hard drive, it'd break so much easier with less movement and I'd be worried it would just explode in my system.

Rig - Processor: Intel core i5 3570k @4.3GHz, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX, GPU: XFX HD 7950 DD, with a Kraken G10 and Kraken X40, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4x4GB, HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484, Case: Phantom 530

Peripherals - Monitor: Acer 24-inch 1920x1080, Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4, Mouse: Logitech G9x, Headphones: Turtle Beach PX21, Mousepad: Steelseries QCK

I'd be a bit nervous with a 10K hard drive, it'd break so much easier with less movement and I'd be worried it would just explode in my system.

I'd probably more worried of the increase heat output with that speed. 166.666666 revolutions a second, vs 120 a second.

And you want to tell me that 10k 1.8TB HDD is cheaper than a 256gb SSD for instance? dream on...If ssd stacking 3d nand will bring prices even further down 10k HDD will be history before it launches and hopefully NVMe once and forever as sata and AHCI needs to be discontinued it cant keep up with the SSD's.

Chips faster than any speed of spining platters,and will stay that way for ever.

It's not big enough in my opinion.

For mass storage you could just get a 2TB or 4TB drive. Will probably be far cheaper and perform well enough for that purpose.

For higher performance stuff (like a boot drive) you could just get an SSD.

It's cool that it ticks all of the 1.8TB capacity, 10K RPM and 2.5" form factor boxes, but I don't really see the point.

Couldn't really care less to be honest. After going SSD only with this build I'll make sure never to go back to ever using a HDD again, because they are just too damn slow :(

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

No thanks, I don't like obnoxious noises from anything spinning at high rpms. SSD + 7200rpm HDD is best combination.

Firstly it is a SAS drive. Meaning that if you don't have a server motherboard, you'll need to use up a PCI-E slot on a SAS controller, which start at something like 50 bucks and go up rapidly. And if you are using mITX, sorry but no graphics card for you because you only get 1 expansion slot.

Secondly, 10+k RPM drives get hot.

Thirdly, 15k RPM SAS drives have been around for years.

Fourthly, in my experience these high-RPM drives can be quite loud. SSDs are silent.

Basically, these are server harddrives. You'd buy like 8 of them and stick them in a RAID array.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I wouldnt buy this if it were for my own computer. I would buy it for a server if I ever am able to build one

Project Restomod (In progress)

I don't know about you people but i want to know how hot this thing gets because WD velocirators are 10k rpm and they are just a 2.5 inch drive with a big fuck off heatsink around them.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.