Nintendo's 3DS gets its first streaming game this September

Dietrichw

Source

Nintendo_3DS_logo.jpg

We've seen quite a bit of game streaming on PlayStation-branded products, but it looks like Sony will gain some possibly unexpected competition. In Japan, at least. When Nintendo 3DS owners in the region play Dragon Quest X Online (DQXO) come its September 4th launch, they won't be popping a cartridge into the system. No, like the massively multiplayer online (MMO) game's mobile version, DQXO on Nintendo's handheld will use streaming tech along the lines of PlayStation Now or OnLive instead of playing from a local cart or internal storage. As Tiny Cartridge reports, you won't be able to play in 3D as a result, and you'll constantly need a WiFi connection to access the game -- considering that this is an MMO, that should be expected anyway.

The 3DS is powerful enough for this??

Also, I like your news posts. :D

Thanks

All the hard work is being done server side. You are basically using the 3ds for the screen, controller and audio/video. Everything else is just a data stream. It won't use any more resources than netflix or something similar. I don't have a 3ds but I'm pretty sure I've heard netflix is watchable on one. 

All the hard work is being done server side. You are basically using the 3ds for the screen, controller and audio/video. Everything else is just a data stream. It won't use any more resources than netflix or something similar. I don't have a 3ds but I'm pretty sure I've heard netflix is watchable on one. 

Yeah but they're not exactly powerful.. In any sense. I'm surprised the extremely basic web browser isn't slower than it already is.

Yeah but they're not exactly powerful.. In any sense. I'm surprised the extremely basic web browser isn't slower than it already is.

yeah Dual core ARM11 at 268Mhz and 128MB RAM isnt too much 

yeah Dual core ARM11 at 268Mhz and 128MB RAM isnt too much 

That's the hardware? Oh boy no wonder the resolution is crap.

It's not even worth the money :(

but pokemon. Although I can't say much since for the past couple of years I've been just borrowing my girlfriend's 3DS and still haven't bought one.

and its a pink 3DS

but pokemon. Although I can't say much since for the past couple of years I've been just borrowing my girlfriend's 3DS and still haven't bought one.

and its a pink 3DS

I played Black, skipped 2, started X, cried for a few weeks. I'm going to see how the Ruby/Sapphire remakes are worth my money to get a 2DS to play with a friend.

That's the hardware? Oh boy no wonder the resolution is crap.

I have faith that Nintendo will destroy the competition next release with the Fusion, if they don't it may very well be their last chance.

(in dramatic mode because of anime)

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have faith that Nintendo will destroy the competition next release with the Fusion, if they don't it may very well be their last chance.

(in dramatic mode because of anime)

And down the toilet they go.

And down the toilet they go.

I'm super close to buying a 3DS XL the only thing stopping me is my purchase of a motorcycle and gear soon then a new pc. I honestly might buy it before a new pc and wait till skylake.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would it be more ideal to have sort of local content for this game though? Things like textures and character models can be accessed much quicker if they are download locally on the system or on the cartridge, then all the server would need to do is send the bare minimum data needed. But I guess the speeds and latency in Japan can handle streaming the whole game? I'll have to look up average speeds for Japan be right.

Edit: Yep Japan has the 2nd fastest internet in the world. They apparently have 2Gbps speeds and is working on 100Gbps :o , no wonder Japan players kick ass on Mario Kart online

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

Dragon quest online?! Sounds exciting

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Dragon quest online?! Sounds exciting

Lol double post

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I'm super close to buying a 3DS XL the only thing stopping me is my purchase of a motorcycle and gear soon then a new pc. I honestly might buy it before a new pc and wait till skylake.

I bought one and only own 3 games :L

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I have a feeling this won't work well. Knowing Nintendo they are probably running servers made in the early 2000s

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Actually this is quite significant. Unlike onlive and similar services (Not to mention the recent news of a lukewarm reception to the PS4 in Japan, Sorry Americans you're too busy bending over to ISPs to even start seriously considering a streaming service), DQ has enough weight to get a massive amount of japanese players test this. The fact that its on the DS makes sense since there's a lot less compute power on those yet they could potentially stream a game of much higher quality than possible on just the hardware. 

In any case this certainly speaks volumes of a possible and likely direction we could take in the not so distant future, were console gaming will be translated into just streaming boxes and just send everything to consumers with a small box not unlike the vita tv and also do away with console "generations"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Would it be more ideal to have sort of local content for this game though? Things like textures and character models can be accessed much quicker if they are download locally on the system or on the cartridge, then all the server would need to do is send the bare minimum data needed. But I guess the speeds and latency in Japan can handle streaming the whole game? I'll have to look up average speeds for Japan be right.

Edit: Yep Japan has the 2nd fastest internet in the world. They apparently have 2Gbps speeds and is working on 100Gbps :o , no wonder Japan players kick ass on Mario Kart online

It's not necessary to have all that data stored locally. Just like steam in-home streaming, I can play Metro last light or any other demanding game at 1080p ultra at 60fps on a fairly low-spec machine and not need to have anything stored on the client PC because the host is doing all the work and is where all that data needs to be stored. 

The end user device only needs to decode and work as a display/controller.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The whole point for this is that the 3ds isn't powerful enough to run it

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place