Hot plastic smell..?

JDS

So, I was doing what we in this forum do best, overclocking my 780 Ti. After getting my clocks to my desired speed, I ran Unigine Valley (which actually yielded me my highest score) and noticed about midway through, an odd odor. It wasn't like "something is on fire" smell, it was like "is something really warm?" Kind of smell. Anyhow, I quit Valley and the smell was gone. Then I tried to reenact the situation, wondering if it was just an oddity, well I smelled it again, but much less potent. The smell SEEMS to be going away, but I'm worried about my expensive toys. My temps never exceeded 78 degrees Celsius. My original thought was that my VRAM was cooking, considering I cranked those higher than I ever have, then I thought maybe my power supply was causing it...

What're your thoughts?

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

RMA it 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

THE END IS NIGH

Switch off the PC, take out the GPU and smell the motherfucker, if no returns come from that bloodhoud activity then begin sniffing other stuff (PSU) before the scent is lost.

Burning smells from the PC are a red flag.

Weird... a wire maybe? 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

give the PSU backside a sniff when you run Unigine

or take out the GPU and see if there are any melted parts

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

THE END IS NIGH

Switch off the PC, take out the GPU and smell the motherfucker, if no returns come from that bloodhoud activity then begin sniffing other stuff (PSU) before the scent is lost.

Burning smells from the PC are a red flag.

BUT IT'S SO YOUNG!

I'll see what I can do about the sniffing. I wanna say it's not my 780 Ti BECAUSE I didn't touch the voltages.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

RMA it

...and if it's not the GPU?

Project Insomnia

i say it possible the glue on the coils in the PSU are the cause of the burning smell

smell the backside of the PSU where the heat is exhausting

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i say it possible the glue on the coils in the PSU are the cause of the burning smell

@JDS as one of my posts and now 2 of this man's posts have said take a sniff of the PSU.

Y U NO do this lol

The only problem is that my Ti blows air back there too...

Like I said, the smell seems to be going away, so your theory would be correct in the sense that once it burns the excess off, it'll stop smelling.

Project Insomnia

The only problem is that my Ti blows air back there too...

Like I said, the smell seems to be going away, so your theory would be correct in the sense that once it burns the excess off, it'll stop smelling.

the only concern is that with your GPU OC

you are putting stress on the PSU

which is why it gives off that smell

if it does go away, not so much of a concern 

but if the smell does stay, I will worry and get that PSU replaced

@JDS as one of my posts and now 2 of this man's posts have said take a sniff of the PSU.

Y U NO do this lol

I inhaled as much as my lungs would allow. You should be proud considering burning plastic is a carcinogen...

Project Insomnia

I inhaled as much as my lungs would allow. You should be proud considering burning plastic is a carcinogen...

Well have you found the source of the smell?

the only concern is that with your GPU OC

you are putting stress on the PSU

which is why it gives off that smell

if it does go away, not so much of a concern

but if the smell does stay, I will worry and get that PSU replaced

If I'm not upping voltages how is there more stress on my PSU?

Project Insomnia

Well have you found the source of the smell?

I can't really say. It's definitely coming from the back, but that still leaves both the Ti and the PSU...fack.

Project Insomnia

If I'm not upping voltages how is there more stress on my PSU?

more OC = more heat

more heat = more cooling

more cooling = more power

more OC = more heat

more heat = more cooling

more cooling = more power

Touché. Unfortunately I have to be at work in 5 hours, so I must go to bed for now. I contacted EVGA and they said it could be some adhesive residue burning off, and if it still smells after a day or two to contact them. What other ways can I find out of it's my PSU? The smelling is inconclusive.

Project Insomnia

Touché. Unfortunately I have to be at work in 5 hours, so I must go to bed for now. I contacted EVGA and they said it could be some adhesive residue burning off, and if it still smells after a day or two to contact them. What other ways can I find out of it's my PSU? The smelling is inconclusive.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=113734

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1pbbua/desktop_pc_starts_to_smell_of_burnt_plastic_and/

hmm i just did a quick google

CX600 are known to burn itself out and that smell the other user have and failing to boot up

...and if it's not the GPU?

try looking around for any other damaged parts 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I can't really say. It's definitely coming from the back, but that still leaves both the Ti and the PSU...fack.

Open your case up and unscrew your PSU, put it somewhere away from your gpu and stress your system. That'll help you be able to tell where it's coming from.

You could take your psu out of your build (but leave it connected) and while running unigine hold the exhaust up to your face. That way you could seperate the air coming from your gpu und your psu to find out whats actually smelting.

Intel Core i7 4790K || G.Skill 16GB DDR3 || MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G || Fractal Design Define R5 || Asus Gryphon Z97 || EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 || Crucial MX100 256GB || Noctua NH-D15

Open your case up and unscrew your PSU, put it somewhere away from your gpu and stress your system. That'll help you be able to tell where it's coming from.

That's the plan for tonight. When I'm home from work I'll be sure to give that a go.

Project Insomnia

Do we think 600 watts is enough for OCing a 780 Ti and a 4670k? If I'm drawing too much power from my PSU then I'm sure that's the problem, as already mentioned.

Project Insomnia

Do we think 600 watts is enough for OCing a 780 Ti and a 4670k? If I'm drawing too much power from my PSU then I'm sure that's the problem, as already mentioned.

I'm running an i7 2600k overclocked and a GTX 780 overclocked on 500W... Made by OCZ... So you tell me if 600W is enough :P