Hot plastic smell..?

JDS

I'm running an i7 2600k overclocked and a GTX 780 overclocked on 500W... Made by OCZ... So you tell me if 600W is enough :P

Balls. Why would my PSU burn out so quickly? I've had it for just over a month.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

I'm running an i7 2600k overclocked and a GTX 780 overclocked on 500W... Made by OCZ... So you tell me if 600W is enough :P

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

Shit happens, really. Sucks but it does. Technology has a high tolerance for abuse yet is so fragile in the first place.

Shit happens, really. Sucks but it does. Technology has a high tolerance for abuse yet is so fragile in the first place.

I'd rather pay $100ish for a new PSU then go through the process of getting another 780 Ti. This is all betting that the PSU is the source of the problem.

Project Insomnia

I'd rather pay $100ish for a new PSU then go through the process of getting another 780 Ti. This is all betting that the PSU is the source of the problem.

You can contact Corsair and see if they can do something about it? Maybe sending you a new psu or something.

Well if you had it a month, you can RMA it: just say you smell burning plastic when gaming...

I had an overclocked 780 and an 1100t on a 600 watt OCZ PSU. It died. :(

you havent left on a piece of covering on the chipset have you mate, there might be a thin piece of clear plastic that should of been peeled of at build?

My PC rig: I7-4790, Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z87, EVGA GTX 780 SC ATX 6GB, Thermaltake Urban S31 Case with Window, Corsair RM 850, Samsung Evo 120gb SSD, 5TB HDD, Kingston Hyper 1866 8GB RAM

I think its a wire sleeve. I remember I haven't tucked the fan wire properly back in the days and it was barely touching hot components.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=113734

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1pbbua/desktop_pc_starts_to_smell_of_burnt_plastic_and/

hmm i just did a quick google

CX600 are known to burn itself out and that smell the other user have and failing to boot up

I'd be kinda worried about such a low end power supply powering that rig anyway. Sure, 600W is enough, but CX series..

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

I'd quote you all if I could, but I'm on mobile...anyway, something I may have overlooked is the backplate (EVGA) on the card. We'll see if I left any plastic on that when I get home.

Project Insomnia

I had an overclocked 780 and an 1100t on a 600 watt OCZ PSU. It died. :(

That's probably because the 1100T draws 600W :P

I'd quote you all if I could, but I'm on mobile...anyway, something I may have overlooked is the backplate (EVGA) on the card. We'll see if I left any plastic on that when I get home.

You'd be kinda derpy but definately not the first person to forget that HUGE PLASTIC STICKER WITH "WARNING" ON IT ._.

You'd be kinda derpy but definately not the first person to forget that HUGE PLASTIC STICKER WITH "WARNING" ON IT ._.

I definitely took that one off. I'm not sure if there were more, though.

Project Insomnia

will be a good idea to take apart the computer just to be sure

at the same time check for the source of the smell

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

It's the only one afaik... so yeah probably PSU... Do you have another PSU somewhere that you can temporarily try to see if it really is your PSU burning?

So, I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news, but I can't replicate the smell...?

Project Insomnia

So, I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news, but I can't replicate the smell...?

Uhm... good?

just monitor the problem and see if the smell is really gone

could be some excess glue inside the PSU melted off

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Uhm... good?

Hopefully...

just monitor the problem and see if the smell is really gone

could be some excess glue inside the PSU melted off

Will do, actually, I think I'm going to invest in a new PSU anyways..,but yeah, I'll definitely pay close attention to it. 

Project Insomnia