Queensland: Increase Solar Generation Causes Wholesale Electricity Price To Go Negative During Peak Hours

Last week, for the first time in memory, the wholesale price of electricity in Queensland fell into negative territory – in the middle of the day.

The price drops are reported as being caused by the influx of rooftop solar installations across much of the region.

“Negative pricing” moves, as they are known, are not uncommon. But they are only supposed to happen at night, when most of the population is mostly asleep, demand is down, and operators of coal fired generators are reluctant to switch off. So they pay others to pick up their output.

That's not supposed to happen at lunchtime. Daytime prices are supposed to reflect higher demand, when people are awake, office building are in use, factories are in production. That's when fossil fuel generators would normally be making most of their money.

What's most interesting is that the economics of coal-based energy production, even if it cost nothing to generate energy from coal, still aren't any better than that of solar energy, due to the distribution losses.

... let’s imagine that the wholesale price of electricity fell to zero and stayed there, and that the benefits were passed on to consumers. In effect, that coal-fired energy suddenly became free. Could it then compete with rooftop solar?

The answer is no. Just the network charges and the retailer charges alone add up to more than 19c/kWh, according to estimates by the Australian energy market commissioner.

The current response from power distributors is to prevent users from exporting surplus power to the grid, but they can install as much solar capacity as they want.

Network operators in Queensland, realising the pent up demand for rooftop solar, are now allowing customers to install as much as they want, on the condition that they don’t export surplus electricity back to the grid.

Households and businesses have little incentive to export excess power. They don't get paid much for it anyway. Ergon Energy admits that this will likely encourage households to install battery storage.

Source: The Guardian

I don't know much about the solar potential in Aus, but this is pretty impressive. There'll probably be some demand for coal-fired plants for a while, especially for industries which can't produce all of their power on-site.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Very nice, I own 8 solar panels myself producing between 8 and 11 Kw/h if I'm not mistaken. 

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

interesting

there is this one guy in england  (little wind not sun :(    )  who has a big battery  in the basement

what he does is charge it at night when the electricity is cheap and use the battery in the morning

saved him quite a bit of money

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm dug into the solar industry in the US so I don't know too much about it elsewhere, I can safely say though Solar tech can definitely save you money in the long run and the tech itself is improving at a impressive rate.

interesting

there is this one guy in england  (little wind not sun  :(    )  who has a big battery  in the basement

what he does is charge it at night when the electricity is cheap and use the battery in the morning

Smart bastard he is lol. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

There'll probably be some demand for coal-fired plants for a while, especially for industries which can't produce all of their power on-site.

The iron and aluminium industry jumps to mind they small sized for the amount of power they draw when smelting and if people cant export then coal will live on.

This is awesome, yet here in South Africa like in Australia we have plenty of opposites for solar so what do we do in our electricity crisis, build 2 coal power stations, expected to be the largest dry-cooled coal-fired power stations in the world.  

Oh and just incase people wanted to know why they dont just shut down coal power stations at night is because they need huge amounts of power to start up again not to mention a cold start up can take upto 24 hours. 

I'd like someone with solar energy to post how much they are saving monthly and the initial cost as well as monthly maintiance cost. So far I have not been convinced that this is the way to go currently.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

If I could build a house, it'd probably be 100 by 100 meters (more?) and the roof would have as many solar panels as possible as would the ground(s).  Also anyone from Canada have solar panels? Since I plan to eventually move up to Canada at some point and may (if possible) have solar panels on a existing house.

If I could build a house, it'd probably be 100 by 100 meters (more?) and the roof would have as many solar panels as possible as would the ground(s).  Also anyone from Canada have solar panels? Since I plan to eventually move up to Canada at some point and may (if possible) have solar panels on a existing house.

the snow is knid of a problem here, idk why but it reduces the effiency of the panels...

srsly, the electricity isnt that expensive (0.0557$ / kW/h) so solar panel arent rly worth it, and you would have to clear them during the winter.

it s possible but the advantages aren t that great here.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

the snow is knid of a problem here, idk why but it reduces the effiency of the panels...

srsly, the electricity isnt that expensive (0.0557$ / kW/h) so solar panel arent rly worth it, and you would have to clear them during the winter.

it s possible but the advantages aren t that great here.

Is electricity really that cheap in Canada? Where I live we regularly pay about $0.11 / kWh.....

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Is electricity really that cheap in Canada? Where I live we regularly pay about $0.11 / kWh.....

You think yours is expensive, pay $0.3 per kWh here in the UK

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

You think yours is expensive, pay $0.3 per kWh here in the UK

Isn't your gas(petrol) crazy expensive too? You'd think with these prices the UK would go all out into renewable energy sources. I don't know how you guys can afford anything.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

They have a lot of falling water that allows them to install a butt load of hydro power.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Isn't your gas(petrol) crazy expensive too? You'd think with these prices the UK would go all out into renewable energy sources. I don't know how you guys can afford anything.

yeah, £1.30 a liter and about $10/gallon

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Our entire country would have to be covered in solar panels to make all of our power from them, since everyone in this damn country is wasteful.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

yes it is, at least in Quebec, since the province owns the electricity company.

But, it was cheaper before they started going for wind turbines, idk why they even do that, the hydroelectricity is clean enough and cheaper and we have a surplus of electricity already...

source:

http://www.hydroquebec.com/residential/understanding-your-bill/rates/residential-rates/rate-d/

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Contrary to what people have said so far, the answer is "it depends on where you live", not an automatic "yes".

Many places in Canada have quite cheap electricity because there are highly developed hydro electric power stations in many places, and we also have very advanced Nuclear power stations in several Provinces. Canada exclusively uses the CANDU Reactor systems (Of course this could change in the future), of which there are 20 reactors in the Country. 1 of those is in New Brunswick, while the other 19 are all in Ontario. 2 of those reactors are currently decommissioned, but could be refurbished as needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CANDU_reactor

Also there are huge stretches of Wind farms, as there are many flat windy places in Canada.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you know Calgary weather you probably wouldn't even consider solar power :P

Also we pay about $0.05-$0.09/kWh.

interesting

there is this one guy in england (little wind not sun :( ) who has a big battery in the basement

What I learned is that people get charged more over night than day for electricity. Electricity is more expensive at night than the day in the US. During the day there is wind turbines(idk what they're called lol) that makes energy and solar panel to collect energy too so it makes sense to have electricity cheaper during the day because at night the energy source is dependence.

What I learned is that people get charged more over night than day for electricity. Electricity is more expensive at night than the day in the US. During the day there is wind turbines(idk what they're called lol) that makes energy and solar panel to collect energy too so it makes sense to have electricity cheaper during the day because at night the energy source is dependence.

This may be true in some parts of the US, including where you live, but this is most certainly not a universal truth for the US, and definitely not for Canada.

Peak hours are the most expensive. That's 9 AM to 5 PM and like 7 to 9 PM (ish, it'll be slightly different per region). The reasons why?

1. AC during the summer and heating during the winter, especially for businesses and manufacturing, where people are at work mostly during the day.

2. People running most of their electronics during the peak hours. Most people are asleep after 10 PM, and therefore don't use as much electricity.

Here in Ontario (If you have a Smart Meter) and in many other places, the cheapest electricity is from 10 PM until early morning (Like 5 or 6 AM).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'd like someone with solar energy to post how much they are saving monthly and the initial cost as well as monthly maintiance cost. So far I have not been convinced that this is the way to go currently.

With solar panels, the basic idea is: short term loss, long term gain. 

The biggest question is, when's the break even point? That depends on a lot of factors, but typically, you'd expect 10-15 years. Beyond that point, solar is always the most economical choice. Possible factors: cost of solar panels, amount of energy generated, household daily usage, government incentives from selling your electricity to the grid, etc. 

That's only if you focus on yourself. Switching to solar brings benefits to society as a whole. 

In British Columbia, specifically Vancouver, new houses are being built with geothermal and solar power connections built in, allowing the home owner to later retrofit the house for both. Both combined, despite the extra upfront cost, can result in huge savings in the long run.

The main issue though, is mindset. People are too focused on short term gain (and therefore, long term loss). Renewable energy is the opposite, and people are reluctant. It's the same reason electric cars, fuel cells, and other forms of renewable technology hasn't really kicked off yet: the target audience doesn't have the right mindset. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I don't know about solar, but geothermal heating and cooling cut my friends electric bill in half.

With solar panels, the basic idea is: short term loss, long term gain. 

The biggest question is, when's the break even point? That depends on a lot of factors, but typically, you'd expect 10-15 years. Beyond that point, solar is always the most economical choice. Possible factors: cost of solar panels, amount of energy generated, household daily usage, government incentives from selling your electricity to the grid, etc. 

That's only if you focus on yourself. Switching to solar brings benefits to society as a whole. 

In British Columbia, specifically Vancouver, new houses are being built with geothermal and solar power connections built in, allowing the home owner to later retrofit the house for both. Both combined, despite the extra upfront cost, can result in huge savings in the long run.

The main issue though, is mindset. People are too focused on short term gain (and therefore, long term loss). Renewable energy is the opposite, and people are reluctant. It's the same reason electric cars, fuel cells, and other forms of renewable technology hasn't really kicked off yet: the target audience doesn't have the right mindset. 

considering I havent staying in a place more than 2 years there is no benefit. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

considering I havent staying in a place more than 2 years there is no benefit. 

To you, yes, but it's a long term saving for everyone who passes through the house, combined over 10-15 years. 

Now, if every house you move to has solar, the benefit carries over to every house you move to. 

Individually, it's not economical. As a society/whole, it is. A self-centered mindset won't save the planet. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

To you, yes, but it's a long term saving for everyone who passes through the house, combined over 10-15 years. 

Now, if every house you move to has solar, the benefit carries over to every house you move to. 

Individually, it's not economical. As a society/whole, it is. A self-centered mindset won't save the planet. 

well I think the planet is doing a damn fine job of maintaining itself but im not in the mood to argue against global warming. maybe another time.