The TSA won't let you board some flights unless your devices turn on

Dietrichw

Source

Source2

tsa-todd-starnes-620x362.jpg

You know how airport security will occasionally ask you to turn on a phone or laptop to prove that it isn't hiding explosives? Well, that's no longer just a rare inconvenience -- if you take certain flights, it's mandatory. The TSA now requires that you power on your gadgets when flying to the US from "certain overseas airports." If you have a dead battery, you're out of luck. You'll likely have to leave that hardware behind, and you might go through "additional screening" at the same time.

To no one's surprise, the stricter approach is a direct response to short-term terrorist threats. The US is worried that al Qaeda operatives want to bomb an airliner, and the move theoretically prevents these attackers from using hollowed-out electronics to deliver their payloads. The TSA says it will "continue to adjust" procedures to balance convenience and security, so there's a chance that these device checks will go away. Don't count on it any time soon, however. It took years for the TSA to remove its all-too-revealing body scanners, and there's no signs that the administration is eager to rescind its latest rules.

i can understand this. this was on spiegel online yesterday.

but they could just as easily teach their people to find out if it working with x-ray.

and now they will just put their stuff in laptops, there might be enough place even if it works.

I feel as though an Air Marshall is the only thing needed to keep flights safe. All of this that they keep doing is overkill and rather pathetic :P

well then you haven't seen this then 

gallery_819fe_NON-STOP%20UK%20Quad%20Fin

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So I can't travel with my broken laptop?

And so what if it turns on, can't a laptop be a laptop and a bomb at the same time?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

So I can't travel with my broken laptop?

And so what if it turns on, can't a laptop be a laptop and a bomb at the same time?

But that makes too much sense!

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

I feel as though an Air Marshall is the only thing needed to keep flights safe. All of this that they keep doing is overkill and rather pathetic :P

BS, one undercover agent on a flight is not enough to keep a flight safe, especially considering information about undercover agents seem to find it's way to the hands of the "enemy" every now and again. The pre-flight security is most definitely an inconvenience but it's also very effective.

They made me turn me iPad and camera on, just to verify that they actually worked, but then said Ic ould shut them off. 

I have but that's a movie.

How is one air Marshall going to stop a hijacking, if multiple hijackers get through security because of relaxed security measures? An air Marshall is not a one man army like Neeson is... Sure they could stop a solo threat and having a presence of authority on abroad would stop bad passenger behaviour but it is not going to stop another 911 from happening. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

BS, one undercover agent on a flight is not enough to keep a flight safe, especially considering information about undercover agents seem to find it's way to the hands of the "enemy" every now and again. The pre-flight security is most definitely an inconvenience but it's also very effective.

- Guy stands up "I have a Bomb"

- Air Marshall shoots him.

- Flight continues.

How is one air Marshall going to stop a hijacking, if multiple hijackers get through security because of relaxed security measures? An air Marshall is not a one man army like Neeson is... Sure they could stop a solo threat and having a presence of authority on abroad would stop bad passenger behaviour but it is not going to stop another 911 from happening. 

You don't need to be a one-man army to fight off multiple assailants especially with a firearm. The 9/11 hijackings could have been avoided by an armed presence aboard the plane that could've shot the hijackers.

*le sigh* How long before someone twigs the only way to have a high safety level for a flight is to sedate everyone on the flight till it reach its destination.

No chance of taking my Gaming Pc as my carrying on anymore..... :c

well with a gaming pc you could easily open it up and show them the inside

If your phone battery dies you'd have to leave it behind?

Wow.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

If your phone battery dies you'd have to leave it behind?

Wow.

Well I guess you have to right to demand a plug socket and time to charge the phone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

You do know that less than 1% of flights have air marshalls right?

We New Zealanders aren't worried about terrorists on our flights. Flying is so convenient and easy. You would probably describe it as pre-911 but less stressful. Maybe you American's could try not being dicks to the rest of the world, and then maybe people wouldn't try to blow you up.

Too little too late I suppose.

You don't need to be a one-man army to fight off multiple assailants especially with a firearm. The 9/11 hijackings could have been avoided by an armed presence aboard the plane that could've shot the hijackers.

You just have had a stand-off. The terrorist at gun point and the Marshall who can kill one at time or risk the plane being blown up because they said they had a "bomb". Which they didn't have but how would a Marshall have known whether it was true or not?  

Spoiler

I wonder if this is just an NSA ploy to get as much data as they can on foreign soil before the people are "protected" by the US Constitution. If the device is dead or off then they cant install any monitoring software on the device nor can they get data wirelessly off the device of a "suspicious" person, but if you have your device powered up then they can connect via Bluetooth/wireless/whatever-else and do as they please.

I don't know what the point of all this security is if some kid can sneak on the tarmac and hide in the wheel well.

Replace disc drive with hard drive caddy, fill caddy with bomb. | Disassemble laptop battery, replace standard cells with smaller capacity cells, use rest of space for bomb. 

There are so many ways to circumvent this "device functionality check" that it's making my brain hurt. Absolutely ridiculous.