"As independence vote looms, Scotland’s youths swept up in once-in-a-lifetime choice"

TopWargamer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/as-independence-vote-looms-scotlands-youths-swept-up-in-once-in-a-lifetime-choice/2014/07/02/06251b3f-ef2e-48de-bb7e-16891be78398_story.html

Definitely an interesting little read. I'm not Scottish, so I won't really say anything about this, but I'd like to hear what the Scottish folks of LTT think about this.

*Cough cough*

@ixi_your_face

@Whiskers

COMIC SANS

i heard William Wallace will be there

I've heard he kills men by the hundreds. And he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'd like to see the UK stay united.

Any reason why it would be such a "great" idea for them to break up their union?

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Any reason why it would be such a "great" idea for them to break up their union?

I too wonder this.

I sort of seeing it being similar to Quebec wanting to separate from Canada.

Could they? Sure. But they'd have a hell of a time on their own.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

dizmo, on 05 Jul 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

I too wonder this.

I sort of seeing it being similar to Quebec wanting to separate from Canada.

Could they? Sure. But they'd have a hell of a time on their own.

Leaving the union would mean leaving the EU, NATO, and the United Nations.

What about their currency?

Quebec separating from Canada would be a bad idea too for Canada as a whole

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

They're United because the English is took the Scottish land through war and was more oppressive then than they are now. Or so I've read through books. I'm probably wrong in some aspect.

Regardless of their history, they need to look at their current situation and ask if it's really a good idea to leave.

Leaving the union would mean leaving the EU, NATO, and the United Nations.

What about their currency?

Quebec separating from Canada would be a bad idea too for Canada as a whole

Didn't even think of the NATO/EU implications, though I'm sure they'd be welcomed into them.

Hah, yes and no.

I mean, sure I'd miss cheese curds and maple syrup. Not the French language though.

Quebec would lose out a lot more than the rest of Canada would.

I don't believe they could sustain themselves independently. They get massive amounts of money from the Canadian government, and pay little back.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Regardless of their history, they need to look at their current situation and ask if it's really a good idea to leave.

People are too stuck on the past.

They're United because the English is took the Scottish land through war and was more oppressive then than they are now. Or so I've read through books. I'm probably wrong in some aspect.

All of the European nations didn't support Scotland's idea to colonize Panama, so Scotland had to do it herself, and raise money to do it. The Scots bankrupted themselves apparently when the colonization of Panama failed and they lost 1/5th of their wealth. So England, scared that Scotland would establish trade and form an alliance with England's enemy, France, they pushed the Scots to unite their crowns and form the UK.

At least, that's what I think I remember from World History

All of the European nations didn't support Scotland's idea to colonize Panama, so Scotland had to do it herself, and raise money to do it. The Scots bankrupted themselves apparently when the colonization of Panama failed and they lost 1/5th of their wealth. So England, scared that Scotland would establish trade and form an alliance with England's enemy, France, they pushed the Scots to unite their crowns and form the UK.

At least, that's what I think I remember from World History

I was asleep for most of that class so I'm going off of what I've read outside of school.

dizmo, on 05 Jul 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:dizmo, on 05 Jul 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:dizmo, on 05 Jul 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:dizmo, on 05 Jul 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

Didn't even think of the NATO/EU implications, though I'm sure they'd be welcomed into them.

Hah, yes and no.

I mean, sure I'd miss cheese curds and maple syrup. Not the French language though.

I don't believe they could sustain themselves independently. They get massive amounts of money from the Canadian government, and pay little back.

But I love the French language :P

I didn't know that. Well, that'd probably be bad unless they give themselves back to France :lol:

Apparently there are problems for Scotland to rejoin the EU. Firstly, I think it would take several years for their application to be accepted. Also I think a lot of EU members are against it because they don't see the up-side. I heard they generally don't support breakaway nations anyway. Spain for example doesn't support it because it would inspire Catalonians to do it too. Nations generally don't like it when their people want to separate.

Hah, yes and no.

Well, even Canada and Quebec is a difficult subject. If they split will they still use the Canadian dollar, would the laws change, would there government continue to honor the first nations treaties signed by Canada? Canadian would have to cross into a different country just to get to the other side of there own. Everything about Quebec splitting is inconvenient.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?