[Gameinformer] Microsoft Denies GFWL Being Shutdown

EChondo

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/19/games-for-windows-live-exodus-continues.aspx

Another news source(provided by DeViLzzz): http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-says-it-s-not-shutting-down-games-for-windows-live/1100-6420654/

We asked Microsoft about the July 1 rumors, and received this statement:

We are continuing to support the Games for Windows Live service. As previously announced, as part of the retirement of Microsoft Points the Xbox.com PC marketplace was closed. Although customers are unable to purchase new games from the marketplace or receive title updates, they can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows Live client as usual. We remain committed to investing in PC gaming in the years ahead, and look forward to sharing more in the future.

Honestly, they never "confirmed" it, except for the couple days the Age of Empires page was up: http://i.imgur.com/q513wVZ.jpg

For them to not confirm it, or even acknowledge it says to me that they have something planned. I don't know why, but I think they plan to bring Halo 1/2 over to Steamworks like their other developers have done with other series. This might just be me, but that seems to be the only last active GFWL game still using its servers.

I thought this was shutdown 2-3 months ago..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

im waiting for window live to go away so i can play fucking gta four without being annoyed to log into that shit.

im waiting for window live to go away so i can play fucking gta four without being annoyed to log into that shit.

Search for "gta iv xliveless".

You're welcome.

I thought this was shutdown 2-3 months ago..

No, developers have been slowly moving their games off of the service. It's suppose to be shutdown next month officially, but maybe not now?

Wasn't there some drama about one of the Batman games being on GFWL?

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Wasn't there some drama about one of the Batman games being on GFWL?

When it was ported over to Steam initially, there was an outcry because the removal of GFWL caused people to lose their saved games.  If you have not played the Batman series, you should be fine if you decide to get it now as it has been removed for a while now.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

FFS just burn the unpopular awkward thing already.

Nobody likes it anyway, Microsoft. Just kill it and make sure people can still play the games they bought on it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

DIEEEEEE!

flamethrower-massacare-o.gif

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

If keeping it up saves some of my games and their full features then I am ok with them keeping it up.  We already see other companies using their own DRM software to serve up popular games so why can't MS make GFWL better and keep older games alive and bring us something Steam-like that we may actually like?  I hope MS saves GFWL as I don't enjoy losing games in my pc collection and would like to see them function properly and fully and with some titles they won't do this if GFWL goes away and some will not work at all ever.

Also the people saying kill GFWL ...

Steam, Origin, Uplay and others are already common place and don't seem to be going anywhere so yeah I think there is room for GFWL still.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Also the people saying kill GFWL ...

Steam, Origin, Uplay and others are already common place and don't seem to be going anywhere so yeah I think there is room for GFWL still.

I think at this point they should kill of GFWL, not because to "hate" on them, but because the service is practically dead at this point. Developers are moving away, porting their games over to Steamworks or other services.

If they want to remake GFWL(doubt it), then by all means do so, but the current state of GFWL is horrendous and to me they should scrap it and port their own games over OR start it up under a different name and make it worthwhile.

I fail to see why this is a bad thing. I don't want them to discontinue support for previous GFWL titles because then I wouldn't be able to play GTA IV online! Or Dead Rising 2! Not every dev will make the transition to steamworks...

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

I just hope they don't try the Steam model. They should all just ask Steam if they can license the software and just re-skin their stuff and have full Steam integration. That is the only way Origin and U-play will ever be any good. People have too much invested in Steam already so no one is going to convert all together. For me anyway I will never leave Steam, I have way too much money and time invested. Unless EA and Ubisoft payed me £2000 for all the time spent and all my games that is.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I just hope they don't try the Steam model. They should all just ask Steam if they can license the software and just re-skin their stuff and have full Steam integration. That is the only way Origin and U-play will ever be any good. People have too much invested in Steam already so no one is going to convert all together. For me anyway I will never leave Steam, I have way too much money and time invested. Unless EA and Ubisoft payed me £2000 for all the time spent and all my games that is.

They clearly have said they are not going to try to be like Steam.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

It is literally cancer now.  Sometimes when you cut away the cancer, it has a chance to return.  I cannot think of a better euphemism.

Yeah invest in PC gaming... BY RELEASING FIRST PARTY MICROSOFT PC GAMES, SHIT IT'S NOT THAT HARD OF A CONCEPT.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Thats basically saying they're continuing to support it but aren't investing money in it which leads me to believe they are putting it somewhere else. So I'm fine with this  :mellow:

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

They are simply continuing support for old gfwl games. I don't think this means they will implement it in new games

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

If they can bring XBL as it stands on the Xbone to the PC, and just strip the Gold requirement (which they probably would), then bingo. 

I want a all in one interface that hooks into Windows already. I need that. They have everything just sitting there for crying out loud. 

MS is both the best and the worst at integrating their products sometimes. 

Games for windows live was THE worst thing I have ever encountered.

GTA IV for PC is the prime example. Does not save progress unless you make an account. 

The integration was even buggier with crashes everywhere.

If Microsoft is just keeping the service alive to support old games then kudos to them.

If they are integrating more games with Windows Live, well we all know what they mean by "We care about PC gaming"

Gaming Rig: i5-3570k+H100i (4.3 ghz) | P8Z77-i Deluxe | MSI Twin Frozr 7950 Boost | HX650 | 1TB HGST | 840 Evo 250 GB

I thought it was gonna get better...But Microsoft and Ubisoft just want PC gaming to die.

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500