Good Open Back set of Headphones under 100$

Phoenix66

I've heard that using a pair of open back headphones really helps point out enemies in games, and offers a wider sound stage in music. I'm starting to play Counter Strike a lot more, and I'd like a good pair of open back pair of headphones for when I'm playing games, and for music. 

I own a pair of M50's, but I'd like something open back just to mix it up. I don't know all that much about open headphones, but I've heard the Grado series of headphones sound pretty good. Also, Logan did a video not too long ago about some superlux headphones, and I believe they were open backed. So, is there anything you guys recommend? 

Also, right now the AD500x from AT are on sale for 100$, which seems like a pretty good deal. 

Open-Back is really expensive

The cheapest I can find is the Sennheiser HD 518($130), but you will need an amp+dac for that which will add another $100

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

The cheapest I can find is the Sennheiser HD 518($130), but you will need an amp+dac for that which will add another $100

Why would you say that. There is like no way you will need an amp for 50ohm headphones on pc. 

HD518's is a good choice and they are under 100$ http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403128506&sr=8-1&keywords=518

If you can add some you can get 558's for 130.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Why would you say that. There is like no way you will need an amp for 50ohm headphones on pc. 

HD518's is a good choice and they are under 100$ http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403128506&sr=8-1&keywords=518

If you can add some you can get 558's for 130.

i can never win. I posted it without the part about needing an amp+dac. ithen had second thoughts and went to look it up, and you already call me out even though nobody else was posting for a full 6 minutes -.-

Guys, I have no need for a DAC/AMP unless my Galaxy Note III can't power them off the built in amp. For using these at my PC, my current setup is fine. (Unless the headphones are like 600 ohms or something like that.)

Superlux HD668b and HD681 Evo (the two most popular models) are semi-closed (or semi-open) but they do have incredible soundstage still. If you can buy from Amazon.com/co.uk check out Pioneer SE-A1000.

i can never win. I posted it without the part about needing an amp+dac. ithen had second thoughts and went to look it up, and you already call me out even though nobody else was posting for a full 6 minutes -.-

Maybe you should avoid posting unless you know what you're talking about, then? Otherwise expect to get "called out" for posting wrong information.

On topic, I'd say the 518 are a good choice of under $100 open back. There's also the Pioneer SE-A1000 which I've heard good things about but personally I'd just get the Sennheiser.

And no, neither require dedicated amplification.

2cdd233d9a.jpg

$100 on headphones is nowhere near expensive, most people spend that on headsets, if not more. Not to mention for the audio quality they're receiving, they're getting robbed. 

An amp to power headphones doesn't really need to go much past a $40 solution for 90% of headphones. Better ones may sometimes make a difference, but it's negligible most of the time.

I understand you were trying to help, but trying to help with blatantly stupid things doesn't help anyone.

Before someone says "WOW THIS IS WHY NOBODY LIKES THE AUDIO SUBFORUM"  

This is no different than when people tell people to buy 780 TI's for 1600x900, or telling someone to buy a 780 TI when in their region a 290x is $200 cheaper.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

500X's are good, but it should be noted that $100 isn't really a sale so don't get that itch. Wearing some 518's right now, and am pretty impressed (have already owned 650's for awhile). Between the two, I'd say the 500X is better for competition, but the 518 will be more enjoyable for music.

500X's are good, but it should be noted that $100 isn't really a sale so don't get that itch. Wearing some 518's right now, and am pretty impressed (have already owned 650's for awhile). Between the two, I'd say the 500X is better for competition, but the 518 will be more enjoyable for music.

What about those Pioneer ones you compared a while back? Do you think the AT-500x's are worth the extra 40$ as of now? 

Before someone says "WOW THIS IS WHY NOBODY LIKES THE AUDIO SUBFORUM"  

This is no different than when people tell people to buy 780 TI's for 1600x900, or telling someone to buy a 780 TI when in their region a 290x is $200 cheaper.

But Nvidia>AMD :)

Pfft. Any true displayphile goes with Matrox!

case in point xD

hi nannerbeans :)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

ATH-TAD300: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-TAD300-Dynamic-Headphones-Import/dp/B005TCZIH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403303229&sr=8-1&keywords=ath+tad300

A $30 open backed headphone. And it's really is open, meaning it really got that wide airy sounds (not just 'designed' to look like open, but in reality it's closed inside)

Maybe you should avoid posting unless you know what you're talking about, then? Otherwise expect to get "called out" for posting wrong information.

How about you learn to read? I said that I knew what I was talking about but then I had second thoughts after I posted that and I went to check

What about those Pioneer ones you compared a while back? Do you think the AT-500x's are worth the extra 40$ as of now? 

In my review I rated them about the same, but for different reasons (link in siggy). Neither is better than the other as a whole, so it really comes down to what pros and cons you want.