AMD Reportedly Plans To Bring Mantle To Linux, Calls Mantle An Open-Source API

TwistedDictator
The latest official word from an AMD representative is that, yes, their Mantle API will come to Linux but they're not yet providing any time-line or firm support commitments.

There's been a bit of flip-flopping from various AMD sources and reports about whether their Mantle API will come to Linux in the near-term, which is AMD's high-performance graphics API designed to complement OpenGL and Direct3D for the gaming space by offering faster frame-rates. Mantle for now remains Windows-only and bound to just the Catalyst driver with the more recent "GCN" graphics cards.

Recently there's been mentions of AMD Mantle and Linux, but nothing too concrete. Richard Huddy, AMD's Gaming Scientist and a recent hire at the company, is now indicating that in fact Mantle will come to Linux.

Source

Comparing Mantle and OGL (and D3D11), Mantle's major advantage over OGL is that it provides a much friendlier programming paradigm for devs coding for DX. In order to take advantage of OGL's low-level optimizations, you'd have to do a lot of stuff that's just really different from the DX paradigm, which would significantly increase development time by a significant amount.

In contrast, Mantle provides a lot of familiarity with its paradigm. Apparently the shader code, which is something I presume takes a lot of effort to program, can be freely interchanged between DX and Mantle, and the low-level features of the upcoming D3D12 API bears an uncanny resemblance with Mantle's syntax. (firagabird)

^^ This pretty much somes everything up. Mantle could be the next thing, and the linux community is going to love it!

EDIT:

AMD drivers are more better on Linux then NVIDIA. So here is a video that I like to share :)

thanks tiger for getting the vid

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Interesting, but there are not alot of gamers on linux, and I am not sure if Steam OS supports AMD cards yet, Have not been following it

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

i think it would be bigger fur steam os not liniux natively

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

AMD...seriously...before you try to do anything Linux-related, fix up your graphics drivers before you release the new API. From what I've heard, AMD's GPU drivers are terrible in Linux.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

AMD...seriously...before you try to do anything Linux-related, fix up your graphics drivers before you release the new API. From what I've heard, AMD's GPU drivers are terrible in Linux.

i cant say nvidia drivers on linux is good either.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i cant say nvidia drivers on linux is good either.

They're not. In fact, they're so bad that Linus Torvalds basically said "Fuck You" to nVidia.

As for me, I love AMD and the Open-Source initiative, so I'm super excited!

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

They're not. In fact, they're so bad that Linus Torvalds basically said "Fuck You" to nVidia.

*snip*

I personally don't know much about the issue, but I recall @LAwLz had a post about it not too long ago. So I'll just steal what his post said...

Are you kidding? AMD's drivers are much worse than Nvidia's on GNU/Linux. The reason why Torvalds gave Nvidia the middle finger was not because their drivers are poor, it's that they are control freaks over their drivers and and therefore hard to work with (the original question for Linus was regarding Nvidia's support for Optimus on GNU/Linux, which was terrible and they basically said "no we're not going to do it"). However, their closed source drivers are much much better than anything AMD has on GNU/Linux, and they have recently started helping Nouveau with some documentation (not nearly enough if you ask me though).

As you can see in these benchmarks (on phoronix), even the 550 Ti from Nvidia runs circles around the Radeon 6950 thanks to the much better closed source drivers. Performance is more sane and what you'd expect when comparing the open source ones though, but AMD's open source drivers contains lots of binary blobs unlike Nouveau which kind of defeats the purpose.

Great, this really could simultaneously make future Direct X12 games be ported to Linux almost trivially while helping Mantle become a standard Nvidia won't be able to ignore....in theory.

In practice however, pretty much this AMD:

-------

Current Rig

-------

They are very bad in windows and i am surprised how the hell are they working in linux at all.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

He didn't basicly say it.. He did say it

Also doesn't mantle use DX3D libraries..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Cant belive you said that lol. NO.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

yes! but anyway mantle is shit!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Well this is the company that still cannot get openGL working properly on Linux after all these years... their excuse is lack of manpower. So why would they bother with Mantle on Linux? Will it be a half-assed job like their current linux drivers? Either way this should not be their priority on Linux.

i think it would be bigger fur steam os not liniux natively

What do you mean? SteamOS is just one Linux distro, if it works on SteamOS it will work on other distros like Ubuntu.

Also this may or may not matter... But Valve will not actively support Mantle unless Nvidia and Intel are on board too.

Of course Valve not actively encouraging it does not mean that they cannot release Mantle on Linux / SteamOS...

Says the guy that cant use it lol

Well this is the company that still cannot get openGL working properly on Linux after all these years... their excuse is lack of manpower. So why would they bother with Mantle on Linux? Will it be a half-assed job like their current linux drivers? Either way this should not be their priority on Linux.

What do you mean? SteamOS is just one Linux distro, if it works on SteamOS it will work on other distros like Ubuntu.

Also this may or may not matter... But Valve will not actively support Mantle unless Nvidia and Intel are on board too.

Of course Valve not actively encouraging it does not mean that they cannot release Mantle on Linux / SteamOS...

Its not up to Valve, its up to the devs.

Slick:

yes i know but steam os will have far more gamers than linux

My Rig  

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

yes i know but steam os will have far more gamers than linux

SteamOS is linux

Slick:

SteamOS is linux

yes but a variant of it, im saying it will be more important for steam os than regular linux because more gamers will use steam os for their htpc

My Rig  

The fact of the matter is AMD is currently trying their best to squeeze the most out of their cards, what with the whole crossfire apu with gpu and mantle stuff.

Nvidia on the other hand has released the Titan Z.

Who do you think cares more about their customers?

Nvidia has the greater marketshare at the moment and so can afford to focus on specific markets such as windows and still do fantastically well, whereas AMD need the xbox and ps3 and laptop chips to sell well in order to get a decent presence and share of the overall market.

Even when you take the above into account, though, it is no excuse - I had a laptop with an nvidia gpu and later bought a laptop with an AMD apu.

my nvidia laptop refused to, in any way shape or form, work with the linux distro i had at the time (fedora). My AMD chip worked out of the box.

It's not an issue of open and closed source, i know from personal experience that nvidia, when they do issue closed source drivers for linux, don't give a crap about whether or not they can be used to the same extent as on windows - they are gimped from the start cos of drivers. My amd apu performs better with linux than with windows.

I would say judge a company based on your experience with them rather than anything else.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

People drool over products like the Titan Z. Linux is still regarded as a niche OS that lacks support for /native/ industry standard software. Telling Nvidia to Fuck off isn't going to get a single thing resolved besides making fanboys cream themselves that Mr.Linus said a naughty word.

They are a shit load better than Nvidias Linux drivers.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I think this is good, I hope Mantle gets more games support.

Its not up to Valve, its up to the devs.

i realize that. What i meant is that valve won't encourage it, as it's a vendor specific API. That's not the end of the world of course- they can still do it and launch it on Linux/steamOS. But valve's backing would help because they have a lot of influence over hundreds of other devs. Look at how many devs they have successfully convinced to port their games to Linux within just a few months. On top of that they are provide debugging tools, share R&D to help other devs and they have developer conferences. Not to mention working relationships with hundreds of studios who publish their Linux games on steam. So Ya it's not essential but in the current Linux ecosystem valve's support helps.

Potentially great news, but I am skeptical.

Only time will tell if they actually follow through with their plans, and how it will turns out. Making Mantle Open Source (and more importantly, free as in freedom) would be fantastic.

GNU/Linux would also benefit from this greatly which would be great. Microsoft really needs more competition so that they stop stroking their egos and actually listen to criticism.

Edit: Just noticed that it says "Open Source API". Do they mean that it is "open source" as "here is documentation for the APIs, you can call them whenever you want" or "here is all that, and the source code for all the functions"? I am afraid that it is the former and in that case they are just spewing bullshit about it being open source. The former would be like saying Direct3D is an "open API". It sounds like this won't come anytime soon either.

I'll keep my expectations as low as possible. That way I won't be disappointed no matter what they do.

No, Mantle is it's own API.

Anything to help the push towards Linux being a legitimate gaming platform. Free OSes are better than ones that cost money.

Now if only there was compatibility with software for developers and creative pros.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking