How often do you upgrade your main PC?

Ganondolf

So I am working on my first build for a fairly high end gaming and audio work station. I will post my progress towards the end of July when I make the purchase.

Though high end there are places I am really cheaping out so that I can get the PC soon, for example the graphics card, especially with the news that the 800 series aims to be here late 2014 and cheaper than the current 700 series.

I am interested to know how often do you guys tend to swap and purchase things to add or replace for your build?

Do you guys keep old parts or are you constantly selling them off to afford even more new parts? or perhaps you wait to replace lots of things in one go?

Whenever I need to.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

I usually upgrade some component of my computer biannually. Last year I went for custom liquid cooling and a pair of 670's (very early in the year). Picked up some SSDs for RAID and a G-Sync Asus VG248QE this year. I generally resell parts to friends to keep the money flowing :P

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

So I am working on my first build for a fairly high end gaming and audio work station. I will post my progress towards the end of July when I make the purchase.

Though high end there are places I am really cheaping out so that I can get the PC soon, for example the graphics card, especially with the news that the 800 series aims to be here late 2014 and cheaper than the current 700 series.

I am interested to know how often do you guys tend to swap and purchase things to add or replace for your build?

Do you guys keep old parts or are you constantly selling them off to afford even more new parts? or perhaps you wait to replace lots of things in one go?

Where did you read that the 800 series will be cheaper then the 700 series? Source? 

I recently did an upgrade. But a lot of parts. The only parts that I did not upgrade were my Case, Sound card, HDD, SSD, CPU. 

Most of the time the GPU is the part that can use an upgrade. Depending on your needs. 

Realisticly, I believe that now you can get a new system and upgrade the GPU in 2/3 years and then a whole new system. in 4/5 years.

But I can't see the future, maybe you need to upgrade quicker.  

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Every time something new comes out and I want it :) It could be multiple times a year or just a couple.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

When the games I'm playing can't stay at 60fps anymore, I will buy new parts.

Unless that happens I keep my machine as it is.

If i look at how long it took me to make a new desktop from my last one i would say ever 8+ years. However I used laptops in that time and my first laptop I moved to from my old desktop was a downgrade from my last desktop and cost me 3 times as much as I paid when building that desktop. 

I upgrade whenever my mind and my wallet agree. So every month skce I build my lastest rig last Christmas haha.

I just think of it as a continuing investment into my happiness.

Guaranteed I'll have a parts bin build up before long. Might make some small rigs to sell or give to family once I do.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

That part at the bottom where it says "via wccftech" lol

Aye don't hold me to the integrity of the post but Eteknix usually are not too bad. That being said we can definitely expect the 800 series soon I think, and it would not surprise me if they want to lower the prices as really in most scenarios that is the only thing that truly pulls people to AMD instead.

Aye don't hold me to the integrity of the post but Eteknix usually are not too bad. That being said we can definitely expect the 800 series soon I think, and it would not surprise me if they want to lower the prices as really in most scenarios that is the only thing that truly pulls people to AMD instead.

Someone linked me to a fan benchmark Eteknix did and it was a bit sketchy because it said the Bifenix Spectres performed way better than the Spectre pros so idk. I haven't even heard of Eteknix until today when I saw these 2 articles. 

I completely rebuild my computer roughly every 3 years. I just find it easier than taking it apart and piecing it all back together, plus by that time there's usually a lot of change for each component save maybe RAM.

The one thing that's stayed the past couple builds is the Asus sound card.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Windows PC: Every so often perhaps every 2-3 years.

Mac Desktop: Well ... I've owned 2 Mac desktops since 1999 (PowerMac G4 and a Mac Pro 2008) so a long arse time  :D PowerMac G4 lasted 9 Years which  :blink: I have no idea how I managed it to be honest.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

It really depends on what part it is I'm upgrading. Main things like CPU and motherboard I wouldn't upgrade until my current parts are struggling, or the get fried. I'm still technically building my PC, even though it's fully operational, so I guess anything I'm still yet to buy can be considered upgrading, like I'm yet to buy my RAM, I'm borrowing 4GB from my family's PC, and going to buy 16GB. And then in a few months, hopefully, I'm going to be replacing my cooler for an AIO closed loop kit. I'm also planning on a second R9 290. I suppose you could consider those upgrades. But after these, I'm not likely to upgrade anything until necessary.

When ever I feel the urge to do so. Which is whenever I got extra money. Which is rather short atm since I bought a new car =P

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Whenever I have money and when I think the parts in my computer are crap, which used to happen a lot, but after simple beaut is done, I highly doubt I will upgrade something major anytime soon :P

Life.exe is missing

When things stop working the way they are supposed to, which is roughly every 5 years.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Every 2-3 years.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

The PC I'm using right now is getting ridiculously old, and the CPU can barely handle games anymore. I upgraded it once in the 5 years I've had it, but I plan on building a new one this summer.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30