How old were you when you first started gaming?

Go to solution Solved by bob345,

I started on an imac g3 when that thing was released in 1998, so yeah i was 5 when i started

when I was born my brother already had a Super Nintendo, I remember playing Donkey Kong Country when I was 3ish. When I was 4 my first console that I owned myself was a Sega Genesis. Got an N64 when I was 6. First time playing a PC game was the original Starcraft at a community center when I was 9

INTEL CORE I3 4130 | EVGA Nvidia GTX 750 Ti | CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 | COOLERMASTER HAF 912 | ASUS H81M-C/CSM LGA 1150

I was about 8 and that was 36 years ago....

Still gaming strong  :D

Frogger came out before I was born, Google/Wikipedia says that swinging game (Pitfall!) also came out before I was born, and the only memory I have besides playing Atari(?) from that house was speaking with that ghost upstairs.

Ugh, NES came out before I was born too, going to have to work backwards to narrow it down. N64, PS, Megadrive, Master System... definitely before I was 5, possibly before I was 3.

Games the grandfather got with his NES purchase, IIRC, were Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, and Metroid. EU... 4 or lower.

2 or 3?

My first video game was Blue Max on the commadore 64.  Granted I was a mere 3 years old at the time and I was mostly reduced to watching my father and uncle play while I got a turn from time to time.  Games kind of faded from my life until I got to the age of 5 and my parents got the first NES and played the first Mario game.  I was a consoler though the NES and SNES age (which I have to admit was a great age for concoles).  Probly had a lot to do with just the nutty price of computers at the time and rather limited game/program libary for the average middle income family from the mid 80's to early 90's in the US. 

Then my old man got a Gateway 2000 (in like 1991ish) PC.  I remember it being a major event.  Had to go down to the Gateway outlet in town and honestly it felt a lot like buying a new car.  If I remember correctly it had the first penitum processor.  Before they realized they had to put even a heat sink on the chip (which the PC was recalled for, and they added a sink with a new chip since the old was burned almost black).  This over lapped with the SNES age so PC gaming kind of grew side by side with it.  I remember playing the Wing Commander games and X-Wing / TIE Fighter games on it.  But it wasn't until Doom came out that PC gaming really started to take over as my perfered gaming mode.  After that my old man built or bought a new computer roughly every couple years and I got the old hand me down.  Eventually we built side by side PCs so we could play games like Warcraft II and Doom II over serial cables in the house together.

Once the internet age become more than a "pay by the minute" service we moved on to playing a lot of stuff via modem as hard as that is to believe (2 phone lines).  Lots of half life and local BBS places that still played older games like Doom II were popping up all over the place.  Both the old man and I fell in total love with the first Civilization game and spent tons of late nights arguing strategy for our Empire. (we still play Civ5 from time to time.  Have a game that we have been playing for literally YEARS a few dozen turns at a time once or twice a month). 

The rest you can fill in the blanks.  Newer games came out.  We moved on to them.  We kept building PCs and eventually I had to start giving him my hand me down systems since he lost the touch and his hand unsteadied a bit with age.  Full circle is always a nice thing to accomplish. ;)

Corsair 900D [ASUS Sabertooth Z87] i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz [x4 4BG Corsair Dominator Platnum 2133mhz]
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS) [2TB  Western Digital Caviar Black (Storage)] 2x Nivida 980GTX SLI 

Beyerdynamic DT990's [Logitech 600] Razor Blackwiddow Ultimate [MS XBOX360 gamepad]

For me it was Alex the Kidd and Sonic around 1997 by just fooling around.

I first saw a PS1 playing Gran Turismo 1 sometime later....But the first serious dive into Gaming (and to this day is why i still invest in it) was from a Small UK demo Disk sent down to New Zealand called 'Station 8' and on it had the one game that changed everything.

Metal Gear Solid.

And then i ended up here on this forum. Good tiems.

I don't know, like 4?

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Around 3 years old. My Uncle gave us his NES game collection, all which had the best NES games like Super Mario Bros 1-3. This is what really got me into gaming.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

3-5
Cousin had a Gameboy (the black and white kind) and i was playing a starwars game that i remember quite well. Either that or playing crash bandicoot.

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus Crosshair v Formula-Z RAM: 4GBx4 Gskill @ 1600MHz GPU: GTX 970 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: 240GB SSD boot, 2TB segate HDD, 500GB old laptop HDD PSU: Antec 620W Bronze Display(s): AOC 21.5" and BENQ 27" 1440p Cooling: Be quiet! Darkrock pro Keyboard: Ducky shine zero Mouse: Razer Naga Sound: 5.1 logitech speakers with Razer kraken headset

I was 3. I started out mostly with the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy Colour, seeing I would play N64 at home and never go anywhere without the Game Boy, haha! :P

It's a strange way around things, but I didn't get to enjoy the NES until I was 6.

PC picked up for me when I was 11 after playing Warcraft and then to jump into the World of last said game.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 7, Socket-1150 Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 1600MHz 16GB Power Supply - Corsair HX 1000W CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX-Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headsets/Headphones: Astro A40 Phone: Moto X 2015

Think I was 4, using a weird DOS R/C Flight simulator back in 1992.

Actually Linus is older than him, I wonder if there are older people on the forums?

Well I'm 26 almost 27, but I see a lot of kids around.

Wow 1991 i was 8 lol my dad built his first pc and i was hooked from that day on-wards with great titles like Gods, Golden axe, Doom, Wolfenstien 3d and so on. Brings back a lot of happy memories.

Wow 1991 i was 8 lol my dad built his first pc and i was hooked from that day on-wards with great titles like Gods, Golden axe, Doom, Wolfenstien 3d and so on. Brings back a lot of happy memories.

Did he build or did he buy a IBM PC? I don´t remember how the market was back then.

Think I was 4, using a weird DOS R/C Flight simulator back in 1992.

Haha my dad had one of those and it thought it was the next best thing to sliced bread even though i would 9 times out of ten just stall the plane for laughs trying to do stunts lol 

Did he build or did he buy a IBM PC? I don´t remember how the market was back then.

Built if i remember correctly running windows 3.0 i use to love going in to ms dos as it felt like i was a kid hacker... ow how are imagination runs wild as a youngster 

Haha my dad had one of those and it thought it was the next best thing to sliced bread even though i would 9 times out of ten just stall the plane for laughs trying to do stunts lol 

Yeah it was fun, I couldn´t get the chopper to fly correctly, funny thing my dad bought that thing to fly the real thing, but he didn´t finish assembling the plane, it stills there after 22 years.

Yeah it was fun, I couldn´t get the chopper to fly correctly, funny thing my dad bought that thing to fly the real thing, but he didn´t finish assembling the plane, it stills there after 22 years.

We still have the rc controller and the software on floppys upstairs at my dads, its was a challenge to be fair. My dad use to fly rc planes so its was quite natural to him but he too has many unfinished rc projects lurking in the attic. Then came along microsoft flight sim and it all got shelved!

Built if i remember correctly running windows 3.0 i use to love going in to ms dos as it felt like i was a kid hacker... ow how are imagination runs wild as a youngster 

Agreed, I had an old 486 and a bunch of floppy disks from my dad's office, Closing windows and moving to A:/ doom.exe or A:/wolf3d.exe was very badass.

Agreed, I had an old 486 and a bunch of floppy disks from my dad's office, Closing windows and moving to A:/ doom.exe or A:/wolf3d.exe was very badass.

Then along came cds, did you ever get mr blobby cds from friends or computer markets, they where full of games and apps

I first started gaming on PC at age 4, played some Diablo, Mortal Kombat 4, Some MegaMan games, Rayman 2, some sort of Tarzan game and GTA 1 and 2

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

I was probably 4 or 5 and play something on a ColecoVision, it was like a Donkey Kong ripoff.

Main rig

CPU: I7 4820K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H100 || Display: LG 34UM95 || MOBO: Asus Sabertooth x79 || RAM: AMD 1600MHz 2x 4GB || GPU: Two AMD R9 290's @1050MHz core 1400MHz Memory || Case: Cooler master HAF 922 || SSD: Samsung 830 128GB and PNY XLR8 120GB SSD in raid 0 || HDD: 2x Seagate barracuda 1.5TB
Guest rig
CPU: I5 3330S || MOBO: ECS H61H2-I5 || Ram: 2x 2GB Samsung 1333MHz || GPU: Radeon HD 6970 || PSU: Antec Earth-watts 750watt
HTPC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720BE unlocked 4th core @3.7GHz || GPU: low profile Geforce 9500GT || random 2x 2GB ddr2 ram (don't feel like looking) || Cooler: some rosewill cooler

I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I remember receiving my first gaming device, a Game Boy Advance SP on a flight to Portugal. I was probably around 6 or 7 years old

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB