Ubisoft Claims that having female assasins is too costly

During E3, AC Unity creative director Alex Amancio was asked about the lack of a Female avatar for the new multiplayer mode of Assassin’s Creed.  Amancio stated that there had been plans to include female avatar's for gamers to choose from.  However "the reality of production", as stated by Amancio, was that creating a female avatar would create more work for the development team.  The female avatar would require the team to create a female model with appropriate animations and voice work.  While I can understand that creating a new character would be difficult, I don't believe that the inclusion of a female assassin would impact or delay development of the game.  For me, the development team's real reason for not having variety in the multiplayer avatar's is budgetary and greed (on the side of Ubisoft).  It is less costly to just reuse the animations and character model of the main protagonist.  With a simple change of outfit (color swap), the development team can create "choices" for the player to choose from.  Amancio states as much when he said "Because of that, the common denominator was Arno...so the only logical option, the only option we had, was to cut the female avatar."
For me this sounds like Ubisoft is trying to keep their production costs down in order to maximize their profits. Others believe that the reasoning behind the lack of a female avatar to be nonsense.  On twitter you can find the hashtag #womenaretoohardtoanimate, where thousands have taken to express their frustrations. 

How do you all feel? Do you think Ubisoft has a legitimate reason for not including a female avatar.  Or do you feel like me and think Ubisoft just does not want to pay more production costs, release the game to endless hype, and make all of use triple their investment?

Links to the original stories

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2014/2014/6/10/5798592/assassins-creed-unity-female-assassins

http://kotaku.com/ubisoft-cut-plans-for-female-assassins-in-unity-1589278349

Or they could just port Kasumi from Dead or Alive... we would love that, wouldn't we? xD

Expense is a pretty weak excuse. Of course it's going to cost more. They just alienated a good number of people who would have wanted to play as a female. I'm sure it wouldn't have been THAT hard to accomplish.

Ubisoft worries me. I really don't want them to fuck up The Division.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I call BS, damn sexist Ubisoft, if you are going to make a lame excuse, then you might as well just come out with the truth.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

do what ever you want ubisoft, just don't fuck up the division.

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

Meanwhile, in Africa, real issues take place.

The only thing you'll end up with is either;

A: include women in games and get attacked by feminists because apparently female characters are only used for emotional attachment for male players and "sex appeal", no matter how normal the character is, or

B: don't include female characters and get shit for doing so. ("Women are also capable of fighting in wars, be badass, this and that, etc.")

It's basically a loss-loss situation. The only winner here are the critics. Developers can only win by ignoring these meddling little fuckwads ruining the industry with their social justice crusade.

Bioshock Infinite..  * cough cough *

A: include women in games and get attacked by feminists because apparently female characters are only used for emotional attachment for male players and "sex appeal", no matter how normal the character is, or

B: don't include female characters and get shit for doing so. ("Women are also capable of fighting in wars, be badass, this and that, etc.")

It's basically a loss-loss situation. The only winner here are the critics. Developers can only win by ignoring these meddling little fuckwads ruining the industry with their social justice crusade.

Ladies and gentlemen i give you:

I call BS, damn sexist Ubisoft, if you are going to make a lame excuse, then you might as well just come out with the truth.

...Exhibit A

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Im not sexist or anything but who the hell cares about this ITS A GAME ;__;

Firstly, just because there are more pressing matters doesn't invalidate the importance of other issues. So take your "real issues" and your "starving children in africa" elsewhere because I get so sick and tired of people throwing that sentiment around as if it actually is meant to have any merit or meaning to it beyond "you're not allowed to have any feelings because someone has it worse than you".

Also, the point of A is typically aimed towards the inclusion of female characters who are simply there for that exact purpose, the pleasure of men. I, personally, don't get it at all, we barely get female characters like Lara Croft in the most recent Tomb Raider, who just simply was a female, nothing more to it, whereas if you go to games like Soul Calibur, you can see characters like Ivy and Taki, two characters clearly there to draw male gaze. I decided to google "female assassin" and much to my chagrin, it appears most of the images are either showing off one of three female target areas, be they either scantily dressed or adorned in tight clothing, but then, I happen to come across this:

large.jpg

Apparently, she's from a nice little title called Assassin's Creed. Well, what do you know, eh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_III:_Liberation

A reviewer on Gamespot had this to say in regards to her character:

Shaun McInnis, reviewer for GameSpot, gave the game a score of 6.5/10, praising the protagonist as "...a woman born from the romance between a wealthy father and a slave mother, someone who has overcome her uncertain upbringing to find a new life in the Assassin Brotherhood".

So, you cannot say that Ubisoft aren't at least capable of delivering a female character that wasn't clearly just marketed as eye-candy for men.

At the end of the day, this boils down to financial bullshit, which is what the entire gaming industry wraps it's wet cock around these days, it's all just money, money, money..

Im not sexist or anything but who the hell cares about this ITS A GAME ;__;

The fact that they can just upright refuse to include a gender in their title as a playable avatar is absolutely fucking disgusting.

And hey, look, there's another one of those stupid phrases, "it's a game" "it's just a game". "It's just sex", "it's only a foreign country of people who can't support a decent standard of living without international support, why can't we bomb them".

If you ever use the argument, "it's a game" or "it's just a game" in any facet, then you should just fuck off, just because it's a form of entertainment doesn't mean it can't be taken seriously, doesn't mean it should be excluded from being discussed.

You're not sexist, but you're an idiot.

The fact that they can just upright refuse to include a gender in their title as a playable avatar is absolutely fucking disgusting.

And hey, look, there's another one of those stupid phrases, "it's a game" "it's just a game". "It's just sex", "it's only a foreign country of people who can't support a decent standard of living without international support, why can't we bomb them".

If you ever use the argument, "it's a game" or "it's just a game" in any facet, then you should just fuck off, just because it's a form of entertainment doesn't mean it can't be taken seriously, doesn't mean it should be excluded from being discussed.

You're not sexist, but you're an idiot.

Well i went a bit retard there. But I THINK it's not a such huge deal. Sorry c:

And yeah they only do that to pleasure men :P

Well i went a bit retard there. But I THINK it's not a such huge deal. Sorry c:

Look at it this way, does the fact that there are 6 billion people invalidate your life in any fashion? When it comes to the world, you're more or less not that much of a huge deal, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and 99% of the world would not give a fuck, but you would, right?

When you bring war, politics, jobs to the table, yeah, maybe a game doesn't seem so important in the comparison, but as it's own does that invalidate it's worth, it's merit? The same with movies, books, music, video games last I heard was a very big player if not the biggest in the entertainment industry and you're saying that it's issues aren't really a big deal, which is unfair and a poor way of thinking.

Look at it this way, does the fact that there are 6 billion people invalidate your life in any fashion? When it comes to the world, you're more or less not that much of a huge deal, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and 99% of the world would not give a fuck, but you would, right?

When you bring war, politics, jobs to the table, yeah, maybe a game doesn't seem so important in the comparison, but as it's own does that invalidate it's worth, it's merit? The same with movies, books, music, video games last I heard was a very big player if not the biggest in the entertainment industry and you're saying that it's issues aren't really a big deal, which is unfair and a poor way of thinking.

I'm really bad at thinking stuff serious :c.

NICKT im glad you brought up AC Liberation. The main character was female. However the sales and reviews were not stellar. I think Ubisoft saw how little sales that game had and figured it was because of the female lead.

Ubisoft is full of shit. Liberation much?

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Inb4 feminism.

Nevermind too late.

In other words they are saying female assassin's are high maintenance broads :) 

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Jiggle physics are expensive...

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Wait what? Doesn't AC4 have female characters in it?

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I agree, but you forgot one other claim people make. "Include female characters as an option, and men who choose to play as female characters are in reality acting out homosexual fantasies." A claim that has been made against games like WoW. It truly is a no win situations.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Tbh apart from that very paper thin excuse, if they don't want female Sin's, you don't get female sins. They can design their game however the hell they want. And yes it IS only a game with an extremely imaginable story. There is nothing that's state's in the laws of the universe *must include female*.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Firstly, just because there are more pressing matters doesn't invalidate the importance of other issues. So take your "real issues" and your "starving children in africa" elsewhere because I get so sick and tired of people throwing that sentiment around as if it actually is meant to have any merit or meaning to it beyond "you're not allowed to have any feelings because someone has it worse than you".

i agree, its basically the same as telling "you cant feel good because other people have it better than you"

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Goddamnit you idiots, its not sexism for one to not include female playable characters in a game that one creates, its their creation start to finish, and i wish they gave a better excuse, like "it doesn't fit the narrative" but life goes on, you shouldn't try to water down every game to include parts to keep every single person's feelings from getting hurt, on the otherside people are calling the sexism card on Rainbow Six Seige for including female hostages.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Goddamnit you idiots, its not sexism for one to not include female playable characters in a game that one creates, its their creation start to finish, and i wish they gave a better excuse, like "it doesn't fit the narrative" but life goes on, you shouldn't try to water down every game to include parts to keep every single person's feelings from getting hurt, on the otherside people are calling the sexism card on Rainbow Six Seige for including female hostages.

But that's what our world, the US in particular, is becoming.

"Black people commit more crimes, and therefore are more likely to have a criminal history, therefore it's racist for any employer to conduct a criminal background check of job applicants."

"Minorities are more likely to be poor, therefore it's racist to ask them to spend $20 once every few years to get an ID.

"Women intentionally, overall, choose to work fewer hours than men and choose to pursue lower paying jobs, therefore it's sexist that men make more money on average than women. Even though all the accurate and unbiased studies show that in the same positions, with the same level of education and experience, and the same number of hours worked, they pay gap disappears, it's still sexist."

"Fewer women choose to pursue education and careers in the IT world, therefore it's sexist that the IT world is predominately male."

"You make a 100% legal, and constitutionally protected, donation to a political group in support of a legal ballot measure, you're a bigot because other people have a different opinion." (FireFox)

"You never once discriminate against a gay employee or customer, yet when a reporter asks you a pointed question about your religious beliefs, you are a bigot because of those religious beliefs." (Chick-fil-A)

"Any school that has fewer minority students than white students, and any employer who has fewer minority employees than white employees is automatically racist and should be banned from ever hiring or admitting a single white person unless there are more minorities than white people enrolled or employed."

"The President is breaking the law and violating his oath to the Constitution, but because he is black it automatically means you are racist if you don't agree with everything he says and does."

There is no shortage of this sort of nonsense, and it's only getting worse. If anyone has a problem with there not being a playable female character in the new AC game, or any game, don't buy it. But don't go shitting on the developers and everyone else just because they aren't as equally offended as you are.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194