PS4 vs. Xbox One Native Resolutions and Framerates

julekule

Hehe well could always plug ya console into one of those fine monitors.

Done that with my PS4 and PA248Q , HDMI to monitor, headphones into controller done. Side effect is it shows how shite and old my TV is now :P

Since I now share desk space with another (and of course, everybody needs 2+ monitors lol) I can't do this anymore, but it's what I used to do.  Had my PS3 and X360 hooked up to the extra HDMI ports on my PC monitors.  It was a kind of workaround for that whole exclusivity thing.

Of course my master racing neckbeard always growled at seeing such games played at 2-3 feet away, where all the jaggies become quite visible.  At 8-12 feet the finer details are much less noticeable.  I still played the games for what they were and had fun, but it is true for me that once you taste better for a while, it's harder to put up with less.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

I don't foresee these consoles being out for more than 5 years. The last generation consoles had components that were on par with the high end processors of the time, these new consoles have fairly low specs compared to what's available on pc. So I see them being refreshed sooner.

The visual fidelity has improved greatly, but resolution is important. The detail on distant objects suffer the greatest. Framerate is subjective but racing games need to be at 60.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Not this again.

You'll notice the only people who bitch about the numbers are bitchers.

Everyone else simply grabs their console/PC/everything and just plays. Who'd a thunk that.

or we are just discussing things and giving opinion. I hear no bitching from anyone else but you. Quite frankly I personally am tired of you labeling anyone who has an opposing opinion to yours as a bitcher. I will once again reiterate that without intelligent discussion or differences of opinions this forum would collapse. So please if you could add intelligent discussion to this thread and quit bitching that would be great.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

or we are just discussing things and giving opinion. I hear no bitching from anyone else but you. Quite frankly I personally am tired of you labeling anyone who has an opposing opinion to yours as a bitcher. I will once again reiterate that without intelligent discussion or differences of opinions this forum would collapse. So please if you could add intelligent discussion to this thread and quit bitching that would be great.

*kisses* in a no homo way....

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I don't foresee these consoles being out for more than 5 years. The last generation consoles had components that were on par with the high end processors of the time, these new consoles have fairly low specs compared to what's available on pc. So I see them being refreshed sooner.

The visual fidelity has improved greatly, but resolution is important. The detail on distant objects suffer the greatest. Framerate is subjective but racing games need to be at 60.

Agree totally. The gap is just too huge with prices on GPU's being stupidly low atm with the r9 280/r9 290 and I imagine Nvidia's will drop after Watchdog's promo is over. Add to that we have DX 12 coming, and a I3 could run a big GPU on a low level API on a cheap mini itx MB in a cheap case, or intel AMD could just make lower clocked I5/8350'. Can you imagine when say the Pascal 950ti releases in a few years? These consoles are going to be laughable in comparison.

To be honest? I think MS could be the one to survive this "console war" (this is chump change for them, there is no way they are going broke) if they stop being so hardheaded and stupid. Put the Xbox games on PC, with the Xbox Streaming the games on a TV (at decent resolutions) and hell I even might buy one and I am not a fan of MS whatsoever.

Sony is broke. The PS4 is going to be just as laughable as the Xbox One is now in 2 years. MS spends all this money on the Xbox in development costs for games when they could sell the games on the PC as well. They will sell a metric ton of OS's. They could make it "windows 9" and maybe offer people who bought 8 a free upgrade. MS could do so much here and they just miss opportunity after opportunity. Microsoft could have have been Steam.  Instead they tried to bend us over with a yearly fee on Games for Windows Live.

In addition AMD/Nvidia/Intel could create a 5 year standard for a baseline, with gamers being able to upgrade their parts whenever they want for a more enjoyable experience on the "console". The Xbox Live could stay for those that want to use a controller (they will pay for it anyways), or they could make it free and challenge Steam. Microsoft's vision with PC's has been laughable. They just want the quick money grab. They have alienated PC gamers, when PC gamers could have been their biggest fans.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

You mean every other thread lately being the same song and dance about consoles being inferior and then everyone going 12 rounds about it, accomplishing next to nothing only to start the whole thing up a few threads later? That kind of discussion? 

Its always the same circlejerk with this forum, especially when it comes to consoles. Your 'debate' is nothing more than crapping on what the consoles are, failing to understand why they exist, and then making loaded statements as 'proof' of your position. And I'm not singling you out here, its just a general statement on everything and everyone (including me). 

You mean every other thread lately being the same song and dance about consoles being inferior and then everyone going 12 rounds about it, accomplishing next to nothing only to start the whole thing up a few threads later? That kind of discussion? 

Its always the same circlejerk with this forum, especially when it comes to consoles. Your 'debate' is nothing more than crapping on what the consoles are, failing to understand why they exist, and then making loaded statements as 'proof' of your position. And I'm not singling you out here, its just a general statement on everything and everyone (including me). 

This may have escaped you, but all you do is defend the Xbox One on this forum. This is primarily a PC gamer website and a tech site. We know what is in the consoles,  we know their components, we know the comparison to a cheap PC, a mid end pc and a high end pc, we know what we pay for games, we know we pay no monthly fee to play online. We are also aware that SFF PC's (which is what  the consoles are) with better components can look and play just like a console with Steam Big Picture mode, and even boot to it if you want. This site exists so that people can build their own PC and save a ton of money and get tech help.

There is also a console portion of the forum on LTT. I don't go in it. This is a tech/news subforum. Most of the people here are all tech people and know about and are interested in technology. We do not believe in the cloud or DX 12 (low level API) magically making a GPU better.You are totally wasting your time here imo. I highly suggest this website to spread the glory of the Xbox One. You will find a much more willing audience.  

ign_logo.gif

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Not subscribing to the circle jerk of always crapping on the consoles = defending the Xbox One. The one console I don't even own. 

Flawless logic there. 

Ok, my comments on the subject were intelligent observations. Never once did I deny the reason for their existence or did I act like a PC elitist fangirl about it. Go ahead, argue against my observations and arguments. Please do, but don't say I'm bitching without giving a sound reason. Tell me why I'm wrong and why my arguments aren't sound.

Hail Sithis!

Ok, my comments on the subject were intelligent observations. Never once did I deny the reason for their existence or did I act like a PC elitist fangirl about it. Go ahead, argue against my observations and arguments. Please do, but don't say I'm bitching without giving a sound reason. Tell me why I'm wrong and why my arguments aren't sound.

And I'm 100% for that, and I'll admit I haven't been doing that, so thats all my fault for not being better with my comments and arguing better. 

Not subscribing to the circle jerk of always crapping on the consoles = defending the Xbox One. The one console I don't even own.

Flawless logic there.

Everyone giving opinion or entering discussion=crapping on consoles

Do you see what's wrong with that logic?

Hail Sithis!

Everyone giving opinion or entering discussion=crapping on consoles

Do you see what's wrong with that logic?

Its less giving an opinion and more being openly/subtly biased against the entire existence of consoles and the condescension by people like deathjester towards those that 'defend' consoles. I'm smart enough to pick up on that on most comments when consoles are brought up. 

Its less giving an opinion and more being openly/subtly biased against the entire existence of consoles and the condescension by people like deathjester towards those that 'defend' consoles. I'm smart enough to pick up on that on most comments when consoles are brought up.

Well I'm not doing that, in fact most of us aren't, so why say we're all bitching?

Hail Sithis!

I really think XBONE and PS4 are dog shit.

I still own.....

SEGA Saturn

Virtua Cop Boxed with LightGun
Resident Evil
Virtua Fighter
Fighting Vipers

N64

Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Turok 2 Seeds of Evil
F1 Grand Prix
F1 World Grand Prix II
007 The World is Not Enough
007 Goldeneye
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Perfect Dark
F-ZeroX
Shadowman
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64
Mission Impossible

Sony PSX

Resident Evil
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider III
Tomb Raiver IV The Last Revelation
Spyro 2
Syphon Filter
The Evil Dead Hail To The King
Tekken
Tekken 2
Soul Blade
Parasite Eve 2
Broken Sword
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2

SEGA Dreamcast

Shenmue II
Metropolis Street Racer
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Biohazard Code Veronica Complete Special Edition JP
Sega GT
Silver
Sonic Adventure
Illbleed
Unreal Tournament
Virtua Fighter 3TB
Tomb Raider IV The Last Revelation
F1 Grand Prix
Lecacy of Kaine Soul Reaver

SONY PS2

Gran Turismo 4
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
Killzone
Half Life
Tomb Raider Anniversary Collector's Edition with OST
Tomb Raider Legend
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 2
Devil May Cry 3 SE
Broken Sword The Sleeping Dragon
WRC 3
Colin McRae Rally 2005
Black
World War Zero - Ironstorm
Lotus Challenge
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
Mercenaries
Toca Race Driver 3
GTA Vice City
GTA Liberty City Stories
Tekken 4
Socom II U.S Navel Seals
Jurassic PArk Operation Genesis
TimeSplitters
TimSplitters 2
Red Faction
Urban Chaos Riot Response
Driv3r

Microsoft XBOX

Halo
Halo 2
Shenmue II
Half Life II
Doom 3 x2 (both original)
Doom 3 Limited Edition
Doom 3 Resurrecton of Evil
Fable The Lost Chapters
Unreal II The Awakening
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2 The Landri Conflict
Advent Rising
Forza Motorsport
Worms 3D
007 Nightfire
007 Everything or Nothing
Goldeneye Rogue Agent
Beat Down Fists of Vengeance
Black
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
Pro Evolution Soccer 4
Die Hard Vendetta
Soul Calibur II
Soldier of Fortune II Double Helix
The DaVinci Code
Still Life
Jade Empire
Close Combat First To Fight
Amped 2
Racing Evolutione
Mafia
Medal of Honor Rising Sun x2 (greatist hits and original)
Medal of Honor Frontline
Armed and Dangerous
Hitman Blood Money
The Matrix Path of Neo
Cold War
Terminator 3 Redemption
Far Cry Evolution
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
Tom Clany's Ghost Recon Island Thunder
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Tom Clany's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's Rinbow Six 3
Star Wars Battlefront II
Rocky
Conflict Desert Storm
Conflict Global Storm
Prohect Gotham Racing 2
Second Sight
Gun Valkyrie

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I cant play anything, less the 1440p now. 

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Not surprise considering the Xbox One's GPU power is that of an HD 7770.

Sigh... MS should have gone with some real next gen hardware but they cared more about tv. Ahem, GDDR5 VRAM and a GPU that isn't low end.

The PS4 and the Xbone both use the same jaguar APU. So the the bottleneck lies in sony using GGR5 as the RAM for their entire system while MS relied on GDDR3. This means though we could see an updated version of the Xbone using GDDR5 in the future sense it's a bit easier of an upgrade then changing the whole processing unit.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

The PS4 and the Xbone both use the same jaguar APU. So the the bottleneck lies in sony using GGR5 as the RAM for their entire system while MS relied on GDDR3. This means though we could see an updated version of the Xbone using GDDR5 in the future sense it's a bit easier of an upgrade then changing the whole processing unit.

If GDDR5 is the real issue, then you have two different performing consoles out there, and developers either care for that or they have to tell customers "tough shit, get a new one if you want these better games"

Either way, crappy scenario. 

The Xbox has a less powerful Gpu portion, they are similar in CPU terms though.

Hail Sithis!

The Xbox has a less powerful Gpu portion, they are similar in CPU terms though.

Ah okay yeah that makes sense. Yeah i don't see why they don't just like come out with like power packs like they did with the N64. Don't think any console gamers would mind if there was a little 150 dollar piece you plug into your system to get 1080p and 60 fps instead of like 900p and 30 fps normally. Then again at that point your spending about 550 dollars and you might as well get a PC xD 

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Ah okay yeah that makes sense. Yeah i don't see why they don't just like come out with like power packs like they did with the N64. Don't think any console gamers would mind if there was a little 150 dollar piece you plug into your system to get 1080p and 60 fps instead of like 900p and 30 fps normally. Then again at that point your spending about 550 dollars and you might as well get a PC xD 

Because they never turned out well in the past.

Sega-Genesis-Model-2-Monster-Bare.jpg

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

All the GTX780Ti's in the world won't bring me closer playing Mario Kart 8. :(

Emulators buddy

Meh, Xbone or PS4, their library isn't all that special when you can get similar for PC with much better visuals. Of all the consoles, the only one really worth getting is ironically the WiiU because of exclusives you just don't get on PC. (get rekt with your emulating talk, it's not the same as natively playing a game on the hardware it's designed for) The other two consoles, they could drop off the market all together and you wouldn't even notice.

Xbox One vs PS4 will never be Nintendo Vs Sega. It's underpowered PC vs underpowered PC.

Get over it Jesus Christ, not everything is about the resolution. People playing consoles can't even tell the difference between 30fps vs 60fps until they use a PC for awhile. Xbone and ps4 do what they were intended to do, play games.

Yeah it's a bit hypocritical; especially considering the vast majority of PC gamers are not hitting 1080p with 60fps.

It will if Dolphin ever supports the Wii U in the future.

Right now Dolphin uses 2 cores for the system 1 for the cpu and another for the gpu. The Wii U is basically a clocked higher wii times 3. Current cpus could not keep up with emulation. 

Emulators buddy

There is no WiiU emulator buddy.

Even if there were, online play is usually not as good (or not supported at all), aaaaand it would not be with the same pool of core WiiU players anyway.  Exclusivity of games just sucks in general.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD