AMD FX 8350 newly installed but I can't run any games!

Motherboard - ASUS M5A99X EVO

CPU - AMD FX 8350 8-core, 4.0GHz, not overclocked

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Power Supply - Corsair 850-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s

I recently just upgraded my CPU from an AMD Phenom II X4 965 and ever since I did, I have been having problems with any games I try to run. Every time I open a game, I get to the main menu before my computer completely freezes. I ran a multitude of tests on my computer to try and determine the problem. I updated my BIOS, performed a stress test on my CPU, checked for memory errors, swapped out my RAM, re-installed Windows, and reformatted my hard drive and yet, these did nothing to fix the problem. I swapped out my RAM with another set of sticks to see if that was the problem but the problem still persisted. After that, I put my old CPU back in and the problem completely disappeared. I figured that the 8350 was faulty so I returned it for a replacement from Amazon. After just receiving the new one today and hooking it up for the first time, the problem is still there and I am unable to run any of my games. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be because I am completely out of ideas.   

The temperatures on the CPU are very cool at all times, even when I attempt to run games. When I performed the stress test, the temperatures maxed out at 165 degrees Fahrenheit on 100% performance without any problems. I also reset my BIOS at one point to see if that would solve anything but unfortunately, it did not.

Your motherboard might not support it properly...

The old CPU was AM3, the 8350 is AM3+

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

maybe PSU not delivering stable juice to the CPU?

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

My motherboard supports AM3+ and the FX 8350 is on the list of supported CPU's so I know that isn't the issue.

How would I find out if the PSU is not supporting the CPU with the necessary amount of power? Also, if that was the case, why was I able to stress test my CPU at 100% for 20+ minutes without my pc freezing?

did you re-install your games? or are they on another partition. I think you may have to reinstall the games.

make sure your chipset + gfx drivers are up to date, which they should be if you re-installed windows.

can you run gfx benchmarks like unigine valley? 3d mark etc

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I do not have any other motherboards lying around. However, I have already tried putting my old CPU back in and my pc works perfectly with it in. As soon as I put the 8350 back in however, the problem starts again.

All of the drivers are up to date. Most of my games run through Steam and I have not tried reinstalling them yet. I could try with one of my newer games and see if the problem remains.

All of the drivers are up to date. Most of my games run through Steam and I have not tried reinstalling them yet. I could try with one of my newer games and see if the problem remains.

i would start by trying some benchmarks like unigine heaven. your issue seems software related.

http://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I didn't run that program yet but I did run one of my newly installed games, and my computer restarted once I got into the game.

The temperatures on the CPU are very cool at all times, even when I attempt to run games. When I performed the stress test, the temperatures maxed out at 165 degrees Fahrenheit on 100% performance without any problems. I also reset my BIOS at one point to see if that would solve anything but unfortunately, it did not.

75C is still too hot.

Shut the computer down. Pull the power cord out of the wall and pull the CMOS battery. Wait a couple of minutes and reinstall the battery. Then try to boot.

That is not the average temperature, that is the temperature during a stress test with the CPU running at 100% performance. The average temperature NOT running at 100% ranges from 80 to 90 F. That is perfectly cool. Also, I ran the unigine heaven test and my computer froze immediately after it began. 

That is not the average temperature, that is the temperature during a stress test with the CPU running at 100% performance. The average temperature NOT running at 100% ranges from 80 to 90 F. That is perfectly cool. Also, I ran the unigine heaven test and my computer froze immediately after it began. 

Can you post pictures of your Bios?

Have you tried to put your GPU to stock clocks and voltage with the power limit up and see if that fails?

What exactly would you wanna see from the BIOS? Also, none of my parts have been overclocked, and how much should I up the voltage for my GPU?

After some testing, it seems like I only crash on games that depend on DirectX to run. Java based games such as Minecraft or Runescape do not crash my pc, and I currently have the most current version of DirectX. 

What exactly would you wanna see from the BIOS? Also, none of my parts have been overclocked, and how much should I up the voltage for my GPU?

We want to see most, if not all, the settings in your motherboard BIOS.

Your ASUS M5A99X EVO motherboard has a "Print Screen" option in the BIOS, so you don't need to take pictures with a camera. Just Plug a USB Drive in, and save.

What CPU cooler are you using?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

After some testing, it seems like I only crash on games that depend on DirectX to run. Java based games such as Minecraft or Runescape do not crash my pc, and I currently have the most current version of DirectX. 

DX can be difficult to re-install

I had issues with DX and the only way for me to fix it was to reinstall windows. Google your options.

maybe your very unlucky and cpu is also faulty or they just sent the same one back with new sticker

We want to see most, if not all, the settings in your motherboard BIOS.

Your ASUS M5A99X EVO motherboard has a "Print Screen" option in the BIOS, so you don't need to take pictures with a camera. Just Plug a USB Drive in, and save.

What CPU cooler are you using?

I am using the heatsink that came with my CPU but as I have said before, it runs really cool even when I launch games or various applications. I'll have to send you the screenshots since they are all over 2mb and this won't let me post them.

DX can be difficult to re-install

I had issues with DX and the only way for me to fix it was to reinstall windows. Google your options.

I already tried reinstalling Windows because I thought that would solve the problem but it didn't.

maybe your very unlucky and cpu is also faulty or they just sent the same one back with new sticker

No, because I shipped my old one back to Amazon less than a day before they sent me a new one in the mail.

It looks like the voltage is too low 1.284V plus the LLC is on auto so it may be going under that.

First Picture: 

Change AI Overclock Tuner to Manual

CPU Ratio to 20

AMD Turbo CORE tech to disabled

Memory frequency: Change to what you ram speed is supposed to be

CPU/NB Freq 2200

HT link 2600

Second Picture:

DRAM Timing control. Go in a manual set your ram timings to what your ram is supposed to be. It should be on the ram itself and the product page where you bought it

CPU Load Line Calibration Set to High or very high

CPU/NB Load Line Calibration Set to high or very high

CPU Power phase control set 1 up from standard

CPU & NB Voltage set to Manual

Third Picture:

CPU & NB Voltage as before 

CPU voltage to 1.350 volts

CPU/NB voltage 1.25 volts

CPU VDDA voltage 2.5 volts

DRAM voltage (set to what the ram voltage is but set slightly higher) 1.5 set to 1.520

Rest on auto

5th Picture:

Cool N Quiet Enabled

C1E Enabled

SVM Disabled

Core C6 state Enabled

HPC Enabled

APM Master Mode Disabled

1.284v is far too low for Vcore, try upping that to 1.38v manually which is the stock voltage for that CPU. I know that from personal experience as I have that CPU :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz, 1.3v with Corsair H100i - Motherboard: MSI MPOWER Z97 MAX AC - RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Ares @ 2133 - GPU1: Sapphire Radeon R9-290X BF4 Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 GPU2: PowerColor Radeon R9-290X OC Edition with NZXT Kraken G10 with a Corsair H55 AIO @ 1140/1650 - SSD: 256GB OCZ Agility 4 - HDD: 1TB Samsung HD103SJ- PSU: SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 1300w  - Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) - Case fans: NZXT Blue LED Fans- Keyboard: Steelseries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Mouse: Logitech G600 - Heaphones: Logitech G930 - Monitors: ASUS PB287Q and Acer G246HYLbd -  Phone: Sony Xperia Z1