AMD FX 8350 newly installed but I can't run any games!

so i have a fx-8350 to and i can tell you 2 things that happened to me :

1-> it's summer so the stock cooler was never enough to play games ( after a few minutes it would auto shut down )

2-> once i've put to much cooling pasta on cpu and it made it run hotter

very important: when it goes above 65 *C it's overheating , meaning soon it will auto shut down

you should get a new cpu cooler

install Asus suite II from the motherboard cd and it will tell you when it's overheating or if it has other errors

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

so i have a fx-8350 to and i can tell you 2 things that happened to me :

1-> it's summer so the stock cooler was never enough to play games ( after a few minutes it would auto shut down )

2-> once i've put to much cooling pasta on cpu and it made it run hotter

very important: when it goes above 65 *C it's overheating , meaning soon it will auto shut down

you should get a new cpu cooler

install Asus suite II from the motherboard cd and it will tell you when it's overheating or if it has other errors

Again, like I said before, the only time my CPU has ever run that hot was when I did a stress test. The CPU ran at 100% for over 20 minutes and only ever got as hot as 165 F. Usually it runs at 80-90 F. Besides that, I have Asus Suite II installed and other programs that will shut down my pc if my CPU starts to get too hot. The CPU performance never goes above 30% when I run a game and the temperature never exceeds 100 F.

Priller is correct. All of your voltages are way to low. When you get the voltages set correctly, and based off of your previous temperatures, that stock heat sink will have a hard time keeping it cool unless you get better air flow in your case.

Again, like I said before, the only time my CPU has ever run that hot was when I did a stress test. The CPU ran at 100% for over 20 minutes and only ever got as hot as 165 F. Usually it runs at 80-90 F. Besides that, I have Asus Suite II installed and other programs that will shut down my pc if my CPU starts to get too hot. The CPU performance never goes above 30% when I run a game and the temperature never exceeds 100 F.

if you go to asus suite ->tool-> probe II : Alert log ; then if you scroll up when you were trying to play a game does it say anything or it's just normal?

i have to agree with priller your voltage setting don't seem right, try going and runing default setting i'll upload my voltages in a sec

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2vt9q4h.jpg

IMO AI Suite II is garbage. AI Suite III is better.

I have A.I. Suite II for my ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula, and it keeps indicating false readings (i.e. fan speed to low, Core voltage too low).

I'd recommend:

1) CPU-Z for clock speed & Core Voltage

2) HWMonitor / AIDA64 for temperatures and voltages

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Well I changed the various settings in my BIOS and that did not fix the problem. I also looked through AI Suite II and the alert log did not report anything after my pc froze 3 times trying to run a game.

if you go to asus suite ->tool-> probe II : Alert log ; then if you scroll up when you were trying to play a game does it say anything or it's just normal?

i have to agree with priller your voltage setting don't seem right, try going and runing default setting i'll upload my voltages in a sec

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2vt9q4h.jpg

The thing is that my BIOS settings from the picture were set after I loaded the optimized settings. Those are the settings that my motherboard automatically enabled for everything. It's not that big of a deal since I changed my settings to what Priller recommended and my pc still freezes with games.

do you have any of your cores unparked? On my system with c1e enabled and cores unparked I will get a system freeze.

i would just do a clean windows install. that seems to solve problems like these all the time for me.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

i would just do a clean windows install. that seems to solve problems like these all the time for me.

Is a clean windows install different than a regular windows install because I already tried reinstalling windows twice and it did not solve the problem.

do you have any of your cores unparked? On my system with c1e enabled and cores unparked I will get a system freeze.

How would I tell if any of my cores are unparked?

You can tell in task manager. But you would have to set up the cores for unparking, which obviously you haven't done, so that wouldn't be the problem. Do you have your ram at the correct voltage it is meant to run at, not what asus sets it at. For some reason asus's auto rules suck for amd boards. At least on mine it did.

UPDATE:

After changing the settings in my BIOS, the games that I attempt to run either freeze sooner than they did before or restart my pc entirely. Usually launching a game would not cause my system to automatically restart but now it occurs more often.

You can tell in task manager. But you would have to set up the cores for unparking, which obviously you haven't done, so that wouldn't be the problem. Do you have your ram at the correct voltage it is meant to run at, not what asus sets it at. For some reason asus's auto rules suck for amd boards. At least on mine it did.

Yes, my RAM is currently running at its correct voltage. I believe that ASUS originally set it at its correct voltage if not slighty below it.

Okay try one thing for me. Leave your settings like priller said. Go back into the bios go under 1.Advanced, 2. Northbridge, 3. Memory configuration and disable ECC. This is for error correction ram. Most people don't buy this kind of ram and it will cause instability issues with ram that is not error correction.

UPDATE:

After changing the settings in my BIOS, the games that I attempt to run either freeze sooner than they did before or restart my pc entirely. Usually launching a game would not cause my system to automatically restart but now it occurs more often.

i've been looking on google for similar cases : one person reported : "a cable preventing one of the fans of GPU to spin" , could you check if all the fans are working properly?

i'm inclined to think this is software related.

probably dx or windows.

did you do a clean install of windows and drivers ?

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Okay try one thing for me. Leave your settings like priller said. Go back into the bios go under 1.Advanced, 2. Northbridge, 3. Memory configuration and disable ECC. This is for error correction ram. Most people don't buy this kind of ram and it will cause instability issues with ram that is not error correction.

I disabled ECC and it still did not fix the problem.

i've been looking on google for similar cases : one person reported : "a cable preventing one of the fans of GPU to spin" , could you check if all the fans are working properly?

I double checked to make sure and all of my fans are working properly. There are no wires or anything else causing them not to spin.

i'm inclined to think this is software related.

probably dx or windows.

did you do a clean install of windows and drivers ?

I reinstalled windows and all my drivers twice since I started having this problem with my CPU.

I reinstalled windows and all my drivers twice since I started having this problem with my CPU.

just to confirm, you wiped your hdd before doing the fresh install right?

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

When I tried launching one of my games (Thief), I had a heat monitoring program open as well as well as task manager. Once the game started, my CPU usage shot up to 100% and my computer froze. However, before I changed the settings in my BIOS, my CPU would never shoot up that high or raise its temperatures so significantly. If this is a problem with overheating, why would it not have done this before instead of showing minor usage and cool temperatures right before it froze.

I believe this to still be a voltage problem. Move the voltage on cpu/nb 1.3 volts and try that. It will be fine. I'm at 1.34 on mine with llc set to extreme it goes 1.4.

just to confirm, you wiped your hdd before doing the fresh install right?

Yes, I reformatted my HD each time.

When I tried launching one of my games (Thief), I had a heat monitoring program open as well as well as task manager. Once the game started, my CPU usage shot up to 100% and my computer froze. However, before I changed the settings in my BIOS, my CPU would never shoot up that high or raise its temperatures so significantly. If this is a problem with overheating, why would it not have done this before instead of showing minor usage and cool temperatures right before it froze.

maybe you could try using p95 and load 4-6 cores. see if you have heat issues or it could be the vrm overheating?

HWinfo64 will show your vrm temps