America to give up control of internet?

Jdogbf

This is a hot topic in America becuase of Obama and what as been said. What do you guys think? Here is what I have heard and I will link articles at the end and a Google search if you want to look into it for yourself. Be aware, this is a politic heavy area so what ever you read take it with a grain of salt.

Here is my point of view.

• Obama would give up the internet because he is a "Nice guy" and beleives we should not control this power
  • I have read/heard that it will be happening and will take place in 2017
  • If it happens, there will be no "Internet", it will be highly restricked and limited.
  • Russia, China, and North Korea would own the internet more or less.
  • Would we see a "Outernet" from Google, Amazon, Yahoo, and other big companies that are right now fighting the NSA and Net nutrality?

Here are a few articles on it and a google search. What do you guys think?

https://www.google.com/search?q=America+gives+up+control+of+internet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/03/control-of-the-internet-104830.html#.U43OoSj4K8w

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/03/17/us-to-give-up-control-over-internet/

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/congress/item/17873-us-to-give-up-its-control-of-the-internet-to-a-private-group

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2014/03/15/us-government-cedes-control-of-the-internet/

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/03/15/fox-news-falsely-claims-obama-is-giving-the-int/198502

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/17/gop-warns-obama-plan-could-give-china-control-inte/

Sorry if this is a repost, I used the forum search and nothing came up. And yes, I know this is a bit old, well... very old.

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

america "give up" something. lol.

in ur dreams. those greedy -snip-.

Edited by alpenwasser
language

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

america "give up" something. lol.

in ur dreams. those greedy -snip-.

I am from america and personally think it could/will happen.

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

If with "giving up" you mean sell it to company's that will have a monopoly position and scam the shit out of everybody then yes.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Fuck it. Give russia control and TORRENT ALL THE THINGS

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

f**orK obama, NSA f*cked up the internet

Blame Bush & Congress of 2001.

This is basically just the most powerful companies in the communications industry fighting with each other over who will control everything and how much they should be allowed to fuck us. 

"Control over the internet." All I see is people like Newt Gingrich going full retard over something they don't understand.

Ones does not simply "control" the internet.

Came in here to say this

They never did actually control it as no one can control the internet it's possible but it would take too many resources to do it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Nobody will ever have 100% control over the internet... Americans are living in a dream world if they think they control it now.

They never did actually control it as no one can control the internet it's possible but it would take too many resources to do it.

Nope I would go ahead and say its impossible to control the internet without knowing where every server is and every router (public and non-public) and for you to know every Router Password/Server Password and even then everythings managed so they will be able to tell when you log into them and hand you a nice lawsuit for hacking.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Nobody controls the Internet. It is only regulated within one's own country.

If the U.S. had complete control over the Internet then torrenting would have been banned years ago through some stupid law promoted by the MPAA through lobbying. Look at TPB, Kickass, and the thousands of other torrent sites. Good luck controlling anything on the Internet.

It's bloody 2014. Blaming Bush has worn it's novelty thin years ago. Obama is in his second term. Things Bush have done have zero merit anymore considering how long Obama has been in office at this point, the ball is in his court. Obama is a lying scumbag and breaks promises and extends bad policies instead of forging new ones the public actually approve of.

It's bloody 2014. Blaming Bush has worn it's novelty thin years ago. Obama is in his second term. Things Bush have done have zero merit anymore considering how long Obama has been in office at this point, the ball is in his court. Obama is a lying scumbag and breaks promises and extends bad policies instead of forging new ones the public actually approve of.

Keep discussions relevant per the CoC.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

All that's happening as I understand it is that ICANN, who manage domain names and such, will no longer be (as) associated with the US as it has been, and control of it will become stateless. However, I'm probably misunderstanding slightly.

This is a hot topic in America becuase of Obama and what as been said. What do you guys think? Here is what I have heard and I will link articles at the end and a Google search if you want to look into it for yourself. Be aware, this is a politic heavy area so what ever you read take it with a grain of salt.

• Obama would give up the internet because he is a "Nice guy" and beleives we should not control this power probably true
  • I have read/heard that it will be happening and will take place in 2017 I read 2015
  • If it happens, there will be no "Internet", it will be highly restricked and limited. Erm... no. All that's happening is that oversight of the process is changing from US to international
  • Russia, China, and North Korea would own the internet more or less. Again, no. The world would control the internet, and decisions would be made for the greater good of the world rather than one self-important nation. I mean, it was working before, but it won't stop because of this.
  • Would we see a "Outernet" from Google, Amazon, Yahoo, and other big companies that are right now fighting the NSA and Net nutrality? No. Just no. To make an "outernet" they would have to create an entirely new infrastructure network to support it because it's the internet and not just the world wide web that is affected by this change.

From the Washington Post article:

For more than a decade, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers has contracted with the United States to manage the Internet’s domain name system. But now, the Los Angeles-based company wants to go global and shed its all-American image, Politico reported.

The politico article you linked in the OP is even more clear:

No, the U.S. Isn’t ‘Giving Up Control’ of the Internet

Putting aside the fact that no one actually “controls” the Internet—it is regulated and governed by a patchwork of jurisdictions, technical advisory groups and voluntary bodies—this announcement definitely doesn’t reflect a global takeover. U.N. black helicopters aren’t coming for your servers.

So what just happened? A smart, strategic move by Commerce to formalize, on its own terms, a process of increased globalization that has been going on for some time.

It’s actually the opposite of what the critics claim: The Obama administration is trying to head off rising global pressure to give other countries, including China and Russia, more of a say in how the Internet is governed, not bow to it.

First, some background: Historically, the United States has been responsible for coordinating the Internet’s names and numbering system: the tools that do things like match human-readable domains, like “Politico.com,” with the number-based IP address that computers use to bring order to the different devices and destinations on the Internet.

But the Department of Commerce doesn’t actually handle this responsibility directly. The United States has subcontracted this function out for years: first from the Defense Department to the University of Southern California, and since 1998 from the Department of Commerce to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, better known as ICANN.

It goes on to say that ICANN is already global, but now it is becoming even more global.

HTTP/2 203

I mean as in they signed the PATRIOT Act, which opened the door to all this.

Yeah sure, America will also give up all bigotry, embrace all races and respect all sexual orientations and religious believes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I swear to god...

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

? What's there to give up?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

• Obama would give up the internet because he is a "Nice guy" and beleives we should not control this power
  • I have read/heard that it will be happening and will take place in 2017
  • If it happens, there will be no "Internet", it will be highly restricked and limited.
  • Russia, China, and North Korea would own the internet more or less.
  • Would we see a "Outernet" from Google, Amazon, Yahoo, and other big companies that are right now fighting the NSA and Net nutrality?

Here are a few articles on it and a google search. What do you guys think?

https://www.google.com/search?q=America+gives+up+control+of+internet&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/03/control-of-the-internet-104830.html#.U43OoSj4K8w

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/03/17/us-to-give-up-control-over-internet/

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/congress/item/17873-us-to-give-up-its-control-of-the-internet-to-a-private-group

http://www.forbes.com/sites/emmawoollacott/2014/03/15/us-government-cedes-control-of-the-internet/

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/03/15/fox-news-falsely-claims-obama-is-giving-the-int/198502

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/17/gop-warns-obama-plan-could-give-china-control-inte/

Sorry if this is a repost, I used the forum search and nothing came up. And yes, I know this is a bit old, well... very old.

...What? The EU has been actively discussing developing their own hubs to serve as an internet backbone since the snowden affair broke; along with the co-operation of the south american region,  russia and china, it'll greatly diminish the US hold on cyberspace.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

Well, since this still seems not to be clear to anyone, I present to you, Bill Hicks:

Honestly if the corporation give enough money to the government to try to control the internet why not? But I don't know if any tech company is doing that?

AMD FX 8350 | 2X XFX RADEON HD7850 | ASUS SABERTOOTH R2.0 | NZXT GUARDIAN 921RB | KINGSTON HYPER-X 2X8GB 

Honestly if the corporation give enough money to the government to try to control the internet why not? But I don't know if any tech company is doing that?

I would like to see netnutrality and freedom of speech on the internet. If it costs us someone buying it, Sweet, if not, lets find out how.

My PC Spec: