GTA parent company CEO says Oculus Rift is “anti-social

XTankSlayerX

their friends sitting next to them, so that technology is not going to appeal to them. So I think it’s very much a core technology

It is an anti-social technology, but we will support it to the extent it’s brought to market and it works for our games,” he began. “It is apparently great. Our people who have tried it, love it. I have not actually [tried Oculus Rift]. Everyone says it’s great.”

This got me thinking, will the oculus rift make people more social? Or more anti-social. This could go both ways really... I feel like a first person game could give the illusion of being in real life, and possibly getting over social anxiety.

Article:http://www.vg247.com/2014/05/30/gta-parent-company-ceo-says-oculus-rift-is-anti-social/

Games can be very anti-social, but that's a matter of how a indvidual treats gaming.

Isn't immersion somewhat a core game play element in GTA?  

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

I find that the Oculus is a type of device that you play with when your mates are around. (like the Wii)

So no, I don't find it anti-social.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

And the person who said that is very stupid. Gaming as a whole is anti social.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

He's right. Games in general can be very anti-social but consoles still have some element of group play or party play with friends around. Even some PC games have that. With things like the Rift you are even more closed off from the world around you. As technology advances we do become less social people and instead use the internet as a form of socializing, replacing real person-to-person interaction with keystrokes. It's the bad to balance out the good of the internet and of advancing technology, you can't have one without the other and you shouldn't close your eyes to either side of that coin.

What is this "social" you are talking about?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I think it's more up to the person playing the game than the aspect of"gaming" itself that determines if someone is social or not. I know a lot of guys who log a lot of hours into a game, yet i can still hang out with them and have a drink every week :P you can do both you know.

ofcourse it's anti social, but so is gaming with exceptions, yes it can be social, i consider playing on a team while doing voice chat to be a social experience, i don't think it will go either way, i don't think it will make people more or less anti social, i think people will just continue being people the way they are, but i imagine the oculus to be the kinda thing you only use when you are alone, but that doesn't say much because think most of the gaming happens with one person in the room.

Who cares if it's anti social? I don't wanna chat with people when I'm gaming.

almost every game on every platform is anti social except Wii/Wii U

That makes no sense

That makes no sense

by their logic if you're alone playing a game

then said game is anti-social

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Well mobile phones have in my opinion, made people more anti-social already.

I can observe that in my own behavior. Once I'm bored I'll have my phone in my hand.

Lots of people sitting in their room wearing occulus will make sex be forgotten. At least non-3D-highres-sex.

World_3683d5_148382.jpg

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

lol this come from a guy that works close to one of the most controversial and anti-social game series ever, to the point there's almost no conversation that relates to gaming and anti-social with gta being in the middle of it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Pet peeve: People really need to stop saying "anti-social" when they mean "asocial". A nerd or other shut ins are Asocial, an Antisocial person would be John Wayne Gacy.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This.

Someone wearing a VR helmet and being lost in a  game makes complete sense to be more isolated so you can interact with your virtual environment. The phone thing is spot on. Whenever you're on a bus, train or in a waiting room, you always see people face into their phone to the point they are completely oblivious to what's around them. Whining over VR being anti social when the common cell phone already did that years ago is silly.

I have a question... What would your friends even be doing in the same room as you when playing a game? It's not like anybody but Nintendo makes games that support local multiplayer (especially on PC where the Rift is used). I get that LAN parties are still a thing, but in that case just don't bring the Rift to your LAN parties.

The only thing that makes you anti-social is being anti-social. Everything else is buzz word bullshit

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

I was born anti-social so irrelevant "news"...

I can observe that in my own behavior. Once I'm bored I'll have my phone in my hand.

Lots of people sitting in their room wearing occulus will make sex be forgotten. At least non-3D-highres-sex.

Sex? i wasnt getting any anyway so who cares,bring it on occulus,im dying of boredom here.

*sigh* People need to learn the difference between asocial and anti-social.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k OC'd @ 4.5ghz | GPU: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) | SDD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 3 Western Digital 1TB  Hard Drives | PSU:Corsair Professional AX750 ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Mid-Tower