Settle and Argument for me: Safe to use magnetic screw drivers to build a PC?

I'm having a disagreement with my friends, I swear I heard Linus say this at one point, but is it not safe to use a magnetic screw driver in your build? I find them terribly convenient, but my friends are saying that it's too dangerous, and that it will corrupt data on your drives.

So, if there is any way you could guys could produce something I could give to them to prove it's safe, I'd appreciate it, I can't seem to find an "official authority" who says it's okay...

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

Yes, completely safe. They're nowhere near strong enough. 

I've said it a few times and I'll say it again, everyones' friends on this forum are mouth breathers. 

If they need proof, show them the rest of the replies or simply agree with them, tell them that they are indeed correct, and proceed to use whatever magnetic screws and screw drivers you wish. 

Tell your friends to read some books (or better yet, try it to watch nothing happen) before they start attempting to knowledge. 

Error: 410

They're better than non-magnetic ones, since you can't lose the screws as easily.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Do it all the time. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Last time I used a non-magnetic screwdriver... I dropped the screw for the graphic card into my powersupply (fan facing upward, no air vent on the bottom). Never again... Now I mostly use magnetic or big old thumbscrews.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yes, completely safe. They're nowhere near strong enough. 

I've said it a few times and I'll say it again, everyones' friends on this forum are mouth breathers. 

If they need proof, show them the rest of the replies or simply agree with them, tell them that they are indeed correct, and proceed to use whatever magnetic screws and screw drivers you wish. 

Tell your friends to read some books (or better yet, try it to watch nothing happen) before they start attempting to knowledge. 

Well what you'll see in books is that a magnetic field does induce a current, but in practice its nowhere near strong enough. Small bar magnets are around 0.01T which gives an emf of 3e-8V or something

Rig: Lian Li PC-V353 i5 2500K, GA-Z68MA-D2H, EVGA GTX 650, CM Gemiin S524, Corsair TX650M, Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate 1TB Barracuda, Fiio E10

That's a myth.  Modern hard drives are heavily shielded so even if you put your screwdriver right up against the drive, it won't harm it.  It takes a really powerful magnet to be able to corrupt any data, and a degaussing machine if you wanted to properly scramble the whole thing.

Thanks for the input guys, one of my friends says that he did in fact have a hard drive destroyed by using a magnetic screwdriver, that he used one and his drive ended up corrupted, and that didn't seem right to me, but I don't know.

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II

Well what you'll see in books is that a magnetic field does induce a current, but in practice its nowhere near strong enough. Small bar magnets are around 0.01T which gives an emf of 3e-8V or something

It was a figure of speech. 

Error: 410

That's a myth.  Modern hard drives are heavily shielded so even if you put your screwdriver right up against the drive, it won't harm it.  It takes a really powerful magnet to be able to corrupt any data, and a degaussing machine if you wanted to properly scramble the whole thing.

So very true. And beside, since when a magnetic screw driver actually holds a screws tightly? The magnets is so weak it drops the screw half the time when you try to put it. somewhere tight.

Also, another question, potentially useful in dispelling their fears...

Aren't there a ton of laptops that use Magnets to hold themselves shut? I know Macbooks and iPads do. Obviously iPads don't have hard drives, but I know the magnets used to keep the smart covers on are waaayyy stronger than my magnetic screwdriver (as in my screwdriver struggles to pick up hard drive screws, it was cheap, ok?!) and it doesn't seem to damage the flash media in iPads, and the magnets that keep macbooks closed can't be too far from the hard drives, and they too are much stronger than my screwdriver, so am I nuts, or would this argument work?

My Build 

Also, another question, potentially useful in dispelling their fears...

Aren't there a ton of laptops that use Magnets to hold themselves shut? I know Macbooks and iPads do. Obviously iPads don't have hard drives, but I know the magnets used to keep the smart covers on are waaayyy stronger than my magnetic screwdriver (as in my screwdriver struggles to pick up hard drive screws, it was cheap, ok?!) and it doesn't seem to damage the flash media in iPads, and the magnets that keep macbooks closed can't be too far from the hard drives, and they too are much stronger than my screwdriver, so am I nuts, or would this argument work?

That's true as well.  Those don't cause hard drives any problem either as we see.  On a side note, flash media works on different principles and isn't affected by magnets.

I used them to change parts in my MacBook Pro & my PC. It's pretty difficult to buy small screwdrivers that are not magnetised. You will be alright.

that last bit might as well have said aklfjgsjk;fljdfgl;fj;jlsdfjlgjsl;fgjldfj;jsfsf;g;lfkjgfkgdfkl;gj

and yes ther fine

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

100% safe.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Another option would be to magnetize a normal screw driver instead of using one with a magnet in it. I'd consider it a touch safer I guess.

So very true. And beside, since when a magnetic screw driver actually holds a screws tightly? The magnets is so weak it drops the screw half the time when you try to put it. somewhere tight.

This is one issue I don't have.

Tell them James May said it is safe.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I know for a fact that some control unit computers for different machinery come equipped with rather strong neomydium magnets to  be attached to metal surfaces. And it does no harm to them.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

the only way to damage the drive, is if u move ur screw driver/magnet along the drive multiple times just like if u are trying to magnetize it.

I use them when modding headphones, which means, at least on a comparative scale, they should be safer than normal :)

I disagree,

If you kill me you're better, If I kill you I'm better.

Not only is it safe to use magnetic screwdrivers, it's recommended as your less likely to drop or loose screws.

you'd need an electromagnet hooked up to like a car battery to do any real damage.

yea no you just need a relatively strong magnet, like say one strong enough to pick up the drive.

Magnetic screwdrivers are a god send. No more dropping screws into your PSU!  :D

flip your PSU upside down and problem solved

I use them when modding headphones, which means, at least on a comparative scale, they should be safer than normal :)

headphones hare basically magnets...