56 attacks avoided due to NSA's Prism program

Jeroen1322

I'll copy and paste the Dutch article because i'm in school right now and don't have much time.

"In the Netherlands, an attack thwarted thanks to the efforts of the extensive spying program Prism NSA . That the Ministers of the Interior , Defence and Security and Justice indicated to the committee for the Intelligence and Security Services last year.

The committee held on July 3, 2013 a meeting with ministers on the interception of data using the Prism program that the NSA used for intelligence gathering . "In the meeting, the committee reported that thanks to the efforts of Prism 26 attacks in Europe , including the Netherlands , have been foiled ," writes the committee 's report on its work .

End of July 2013 was the head of the NSA were already known through eavesdropping programs like Prism worldwide 54 attacks foiled . Maybe the specified 26 attacks that occur in Europe are part of it . This would not only go for information from Prism , which led to foreclosure but also the other programs of the NSA eavesdropping .

The unveiling of Prism did start in June 2013 uproar . PRISM program provides investigation services according to leaked documents from whistleblowers Snowden direct access to servers from Microsoft, Yahoo , Google , Facebook , PalTalk , AOL , Skype , YouTube and Apple. Through the Prism program include e - mails , videos , photos and documents would be collected for analysis by the investigative agencies . The project was described in a leaked slide as the main source of information for the daily intelligence briefings given President Obama on his desk ."

post-14387-0-99887000-1401176782.jpg

Source: (Dutch) http://tweakers.net/nieuws/96255/nsas-prism-afluisterprogramma-voorkwam-aanslag-in-nederland.html

Sorry there was a type in the title!

post-14387-0-99887000-1401176782.jpg

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I'd like some more info on what they consider "attacks" because last time I checked, they included things like a 1000 dollar donation to Al Qaida in the "~50 attacks stopped" number.

I'd like some more info on what they consider "attacks" because last time I checked, they included things like a 1000 dollar donation to Al Qaida in the "~50 attacks stopped" number.

That isn't included in the article but if i find out i'll let you know

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

See, that's the problem with stuff like this. If there is no transparency, we can't trust their claims which are obviously made to get us to trust them. If the only ones allowed to give them oversight is themselves, they can say whatever they want and as far as we are concerned, it about as true as anything anyone else says about them. 

It's dumb. It's sort of like if you were to get into an accident with a police officer, and you had dashcam footage of the occurrence, then that same police officer were charged with handling the evidence in your case against him and his precinct. 

It's 100% dumb.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Neither the commision's report nor the NSA's own anouncement actually gives any concrete details. The NSA mentions a few potential attacks but never goes into HOW PRISM prevented them. These may very well be entirely seperate directed efforts that are being attributed to PRISM after the fact.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

This seems to be old news that has already been torn apart. The NSA director used the word "attacks" instead of "activities" in a presentation, and the headline spread through the press with the misleading wording. On top of that, the activities or plots that they found out about, they didn't seem to have done so through bulk data collection, but rather through more traditional, already legal methods.

http://www.propublica.org/article/claim-on-attacks-thwarted-by-nsa-spreads-despite-lack-of-evidence

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

Propaganda! by this they are trying to approve their big-scale spying on every single country in the world.

" yes but we stopped terrorists ", bullshit. All this spying is to get might and money, It's all about that.

Pathetic USA with their NSA morons.

i really dont know about this

can something like  this be considered an

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I could claim I solved world hunger and stopped 9001 terrorists attacks, but you'd be a fool to believe me without evidence. Where is the proof, NSA? We're waiting.

screen_92686.png

That isn't very many and how many of them where actually attacks and how many where just mistakes. Someone clicking on the wrong folder, it asks for a password and they enter in the wrong password. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

That slide looks... Well like someone on the internet made it.

This is really old news (a few months atleast) and the NSA has mentioned that they aren't going to give out any facts pertaining to the actual events that have been stopped, so as it stands, 56 is just a number for the time being.

Cute, I wonder how many they have and will instigate by their overzealous and illegal operations. That's a number I'd like to see, it's like the War on Drugs of the digital age.

-------

Current Rig

-------

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Unrelated to the point at hand, but does anyone else find how terrible the PRISM slides look laughable? I've seen better slide layouts by 16 year olds in high school.

"We spied on literally millions of people worldwide and stopped just 56 "attacks". CAN YOU NOT SEE, THE SYSTEM IS PERFECT."

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I wonder if people have considered that maybe the people giving the talk weren't allowed to talk about the specific nature of the attacks. Security clearances are tricky things (and breaking them is very serious).

If there were significant attacks stopped, then maybe the NSA could claim a small victory in their mission. We won't know until we get more details, so speculating about the attacks is sort of pointless.

Propaganda! by this they are trying to approve their big-scale spying on every single country in the world.

" yes but we stopped terrorists ", bullshit. All this spying is to get might and money, It's all about that.

Pathetic USA with their NSA morons.

We're already kind of a laughingstock thanks to certain policies in the past decade, not to mention the current political crisis we're in (and it really is a crisis).

Not sure if you can make the argument for money, but you can definitely make the argument for power.

Also, I hope you distinguish the U.S. government from it's citizens.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I wonder if people have considered that maybe the people giving the talk weren't allowed to talk about the specific nature of the attacks. Security clearances are tricky things (and breaking them is very serious).

If there were significant attacks stopped, then maybe the NSA could claim a small victory in their mission. We won't know until we get more details, so speculating about the attacks is sort of pointless.

We're already kind of a laughingstock thanks to certain policies in the past decade, not to mention the current political crisis we're in (and it really is a crisis).

Not sure if you can make the argument for money, but you can definitely make the argument for power.

Also, I hope you distinguish the U.S. government from it's citizens.

Money is power.

And I certainly distinguish these two.

Person of interest(tv show) on a worldwide scale. These are the relevant numbers!

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D