Targus is trying to imitate the LTT color scheme

So in a certain big box retail store the other day, looking at the backpacks sold for laptops, I notice something on the inside of the backpack. Seems someone wants to imply the same quality and cachet of an LTT backpack.

20240505_133745.jpg

20240505_133749.jpg

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Euchre said:

So in a certain big box retail store the other day, looking at the backpacks sold for laptops, I notice something on the inside of the backpack. Seems someone wants to imply the same quality and cachet of an LTT backpack.

20240505_133745.jpg

20240505_133749.jpg

I've seen quite a few clones. Even today I saw someone with a very similar looking backpack with orange inserts and a grey outside and a very similar layout outside. They want to get the sales that a backpack from LTT can for cheaper. Normally a lot cheaper. I can't speak on the quality of this one but the one I saw today looked quite cut down, some features missing and looked like a hard fabric

Edited by filpo

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

So they have a trim of orange colors and suddenly it's LTT imitation?

That's not what that is, that's them using colors is not copying LTT in the slightest.

If they tried to put LTT logos and stuff on there that's a completely different story but it's a black bag with a bit of orange accents. The inside isn't even completely orange.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

16 minutes ago, Euchre said:

Seems someone wants to imply the same quality and cachet of an LTT backpack.

I think that's what you might think being familiar with LTT but there is no evidence to support this. IMO the vast majority of people looking to buy a backpack at a big box store will have no idea what or who LTT is. 

28 minutes ago, filpo said:

I've seen quite a few clones. Even today I saw someone with a very similar looking backpack with orange inserts and a grey outside and a very similar layout outside. They want to get the sales that a backpack from LTT can for cheaper. Normally a lot cheaper. I can't speak on the quality of this one but the one I saw today looked quite cut down, some features missing and looked like a hard fabric

This backpack is about $20 or so. Obviously a MUCH cheaper product. Maybe not a totally terrible one, but nothing like the durability of the LTT unit.

28 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So they have a trim of orange colors and suddenly it's LTT imitation?

That's not what that is, that's them using colors is not copying LTT in the slightest.

If they tried to put LTT logos and stuff on there that's a completely different story but it's a black bag with a bit of orange accents. The inside isn't even completely orange.

Little hint here - I work retail. I've never, ever seen Targus put that splash of orange in their backpacks ever before. LTT makes a backpack of legendary quality, and suddenly Targus throws some inside theirs? Oh, and it is only on the inside - kind of like how LTT put theirs only on the inside? If Razr decided to make a backpack, and it didn't use their characteristic green as a highlight, especially inside the backpack, I'd be stunned. LTT's color scheme is pretty well known and recognized among gaming and tech enthusiasts. The whole bag isn't an outright imitation, but the color scheme and implied quality are definitely there.

Trying to imply the same quality and cachet of an LTT backpack too.

image.thumb.png.4274aa82f7b595b6026487fa300f7d65.png

image.png.95a22b9317b5539f1c8fb0b0d46966f8.png  image.png.54b815b6c5043590c18e4eafced34e56.png

https://www.megatechnews.com/megatech-reviews-targus-x-steelseries-sniper-gaming-backpack/

I'd also take a pic of the inside of my fanny pack if I'm not too lazy right now.

And oh boy, the brand usually used yellow or green

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

7 minutes ago, Euchre said:

This backpack is about $20 or so. Obviously a MUCH cheaper product. Maybe not a totally terrible one, but nothing like the durability of the LTT unit.

Little hint here - I work retail. I've never, ever seen Targus put that splash of orange in their backpacks ever before. LTT makes a backpack of legendary quality, and suddenly Targus throws some inside theirs? Oh, and it is only on the inside - kind of like how LTT put theirs only on the inside? If Razr decided to make a backpack, and it didn't use their characteristic green as a highlight, especially inside the backpack, I'd be stunned. LTT's color scheme is pretty well known and recognized among gaming and tech enthusiasts. The whole bag isn't an outright imitation, but the color scheme and implied quality are definitely there.

https://us.targus.com/collections/laptop-backpacks/products/18-inch-strike-2-gaming-backpack-tbb639gl

5 seconds on their site to find similar ones.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

34 minutes ago, Lurick said:

That's red. Poster before you found more examples of orange on backpacks. Some of theirs aren't quite so comparable, with orange as the overall color, or more prominently on the outside. The closest example is the Steelseries branded, Targus manufactured Sniper backpack, which is discontinued, apparently. It was $150, then marked down to $100, probably because they couldn't get rid of them. They had to clearance theirs, while LTT has run out and had to restock before. Kinda tells you something, doesn't it?

Just because they added an orange accent to the trim inside, you think they are intentionally copying LTT? The bag isn't even similar.

This is a major stretch.

Hell, I've had several backpacks that used a bright orange accent or paneling inside. My backpack for school in 2005 looked just like that on the inside. I wonder who at OGIO time travelled to get this one of a kind color scheme from LTT to rip into the market 18 years in advance.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

That bag doesn't look anything like the LTT backpack. A little bit of orange trim inside the bag is not a copy of LTTs bag at all. Having orange interior isn't even something LTT can claim as their own. LTT used to advertise a backpack with an orange interior before they started selling their own backpack.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

57 minutes ago, WereCat said:

LTT invented orange color and they should sue all the orange trees from infringing on their brand.

starting with the most frequent violator of them all, the orange fruit

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

28 minutes ago, Euchre said:

LTT makes a backpack of legendary quality, and suddenly Targus throws some inside theirs?

I think you have this idea that LTT is someone a major brand that Targus is competing with, let alone is even aware exists. 

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I think you have this idea that LTT is someone a major brand that Targus is competing with, let alone is even aware exists. 

"We are a very big fish, in a very tiny pond"

-Linus

40 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Just for a little historical context about how appearance of a product that isn't a major segment of a market, can influence a much larger and broadly reaching market, look at the Ferrari GTB/4 'Daytona'. Only 1,284 examples were ever made, but many manufacturers copied the overall styling for their sports coupes for over a decade. The Porsche 924 and 928, Mazda RX-7, Nissan Z car, and others emulated the Daytona's aesthetics heavily, and all of them sold in far higher numbers. That's my point here. The LTT backpack is a halo product in the world of backpacks, especially those for hauling tech around.

25 minutes ago, Euchre said:

Ferrari GTB/4 'Daytona'.

This is apples and oranges. Ferrari was/is a world renowned and celebrated brand. LTT is in a niche of a niche in the youtube space as far as the larger population is concerned. 

The people in charge of Targus likely have no idea the LTT backpack exists. 

I still firmly believe that some don't realize the niche that LTTstore merch operates out of in the wider population. 

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

LTT invented orange color and they should sue all the orange trees from infringing on their brand.

That means dealing with Florida Man. The oranges are safe.

This kinda tinfoil hat-ing makes me view flat earther in a much better light.

Like... at the very least they put much more effort into the [slanted] theory and all. More substance if you would.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Wait till they find out about my orange non-LTT highlighter. 

Besides what's already stated, if you search for "Targus backpack orange", you will probably find this https://eu.targus.com/products/15-newport-ultra-slim-backpack-black-tbb598gl

Which according to local price comparison site has been sold since August 2020 (in Finland). That's two years before release of LTT backpack. So if we want to make claims on who is copying who, LTT stole Targus idea, not other way around.

Besides that, most LTT products are using existing designs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Bet it doesn’t have a double layered bottom.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.