Why bluetooth devices don't have password in it?

Including wireless mouse, keyboard,, headphones etc,, Bluetooth devices are hackable if kept connected online or didn't forget after u finished session on it

It'd probably be annoying to work with and also add yet another point of failure to bluetooth devices.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.8GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.4v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

they do?
they are encrypted, and make a new handshake when connected

If you mean taking over the Bluetooth connection, that would be very difficult. An encrypted link is created on pairing that will persist whenever the two are connected. If you use an older standard with weak keys, maybe it is more hackable. Also remember Bluetooth is short range so any attacker would have to get close enough to do an attack.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Newer variations of BT are actually not all that "short range". Think your neighbor can see your devices, and vise-versa.

Bluetooth range is almost as good as a wifi router these days. If hackers can hack network, they can hack Bluetooth as well. Amazon Alexa and smart door lock are vert good target. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

12 minutes ago, wasab said:

Bluetooth range is almost as good as a wifi router these days. If hackers can hack network, they can hack Bluetooth as well. Amazon Alexa and smart door lock are vert good target. 

hackers can hack anything
Im not saying that to mean one can just be lax with security cause its pointless. but something being secure does not make it unhackable. 

bluetooth is generally secure. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Security

Some do force passcodes to be typed to connect to the device - my car for example forces it for new devices.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

10 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Some do force passcodes to be typed to connect to the device - my car for example forces it for new devices.

Oh propably it's tesla! 🙂 😃👍🍀😎

10 minutes ago, JeanPMikhael said:

Oh propably it's tesla! 🙂 😃👍🍀😎

Nope. Not a Tesla at all, and it's also 11 years old.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, whispous said:

Someone wanting to take over a bluetooth device needs physical access to it to put it in pairing mode, usually.

Office Workers and Apartment dwellers would beg to differ.

image.thumb.png.c639a278c69039edaa9e36113e2926b5.png

If I turn pairing on, many devices sit there in "I'm listening" mode.

The only devices in that list that are "my" devices are the "Arb" ones which are the Stadia controllers.

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

Office Workers and Apartment dwellers would beg to differ.

image.thumb.png.c639a278c69039edaa9e36113e2926b5.png

If I turn pairing on, many devices sit there in "I'm listening" mode.

The only devices in that list that are "my" devices are the "Arb" ones which are the Stadia controllers.

Yes hence the "usually". You can't see any of the devices that do wait for pairing mode to be activated, and a number of the ones in this picture will want a confirmation code.

7 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Nope. Not a Tesla at all, and it's also 11 years old.

Mercedes? :)

30 minutes ago, whispous said:

Yes hence the "usually". You can't see any of the devices that do wait for pairing mode to be activated, and a number of the ones in this picture will want a confirmation code.

Ah hidden mode 😎🍀👍

22 minutes ago, JeanPMikhael said:

Ah hidden mode 😎🍀👍

Not quite.

If a device only makes itself available while in pairing mode, it's not "in pairing mode but hidden" the rest of the time.

I gotta wonder, what would the point of a password even be?
Someone just..takes control of your mouse? your headset?

At my last job, I had to capture Bluetooth audio data over the air to show where problems were. Source, USB, Bluetooth link, end device. To capture Bluetooth data over the air, we had a commercially available Bluetooth logger. Think of it like sniffing Wifi, but dedicated for Bluetooth. So you just turn on the receiver and wait for the data? Nope. To successfully get decoded audio data out of the transmitted data, we had to capture the pairing handshake as well as some details on one end, which we controlled.  With that there was sufficient data to capture the correct data packets and decode them. Unlike Wifi, Bluetooth is frequency hopping so you can't just monitor a single channel.

Even in a lab environment that process wasn't 100% successful all the time, and it can take several goes to get the right data logged. If you're 10m away, the nominal line of sight range of standard power Bluetooth, you'll be lucky it works at all.

Maybe smarter people with better optimised gear (directional antenna) could do better than that. But already this is far from trivial. If you're attracting that sort of attention, you have bigger things to worry about than Bluetooth.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

17 hours ago, JeanPMikhael said:

Including wireless mouse, keyboard,, headphones etc,, Bluetooth devices are hackable if kept connected online or didn't forget after u finished session on it

They do in effect have a password...it's just not an user provided one.

For ones where you have to enter pairing mode, that's when the passwords are effectively communicated.

For others that are always waiting to pair, like some TV's...a quick passphrase/code is put on the screen where you  have to put it into lets say your phone.  It's that that confirms the correct system is being pair [and from there the devices do essentially a key exchange aka password which is used for future communication].

That's not to say that there can't be exploits with bluetooth, just that it's more likely device  specific exploits you need to find.

15 hours ago, wasab said:

Not really...you have to find an active exploit in order to do that.  At that stage it would be easier to just smash the window to get into the house.

2 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

I gotta wonder, what would the point of a password even be?
Someone just..takes control of your mouse? your headset?

Well the biggest one would be if it's done with a keyboard, then you would essentially run an application to essentially gain control of their computer...from there you effectively have a spying device on the persons computer.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Because that wouldn't be practical in all circumstances. Bluetooth has a very wide variety of usages. So it is better to leave the decision to developers rather than enforcing password policy in Bluetooth standard to cater different use cases. In some use cases you might prefer faster, simpler connection procedure instead of the little to none extra security. In most cases, if you find someone connected to your devices, you might just disconnect it or turn it off. Most devices aren't useful or no harm can be done if the "user" who connected to them don't actually possess them anyway. Those are the cases which developers might opt for a simple unauthenticated connection. For use cases where higher level of security is required, developers can always go for the PIN code approach or even implement proprietary authentication in firmware.

its like maximum over driver there coming for us...

my mp3 phone gets notices to pair to ipods... but i take the bus...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

There are password-protected Bluetooth connections for those that need it, there is a PIN required on the handhelds that I use at work.

Apprentice Software Developer