BOINC Pentathlon 2024

So, I'm just gonna let the tasks with the 10th deadline expire for now. Don't know how to guarantee any ones with a later deadline can't be uploaded

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

17 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yup with a workaround... Tried everything I could think of and the benchmarks just will not work at all on this system... but I booted the machine on Linux, installed BOINC there, ran the benchmarks which worked flawlessly, found where it stored the results and copied them over to the Windows install. Seems it worked as the project page now sees it right. Running my first WU batch with that now

Well that is a workaround heh

Nnnnngh I'm getting crazy, didn't change anything, still reporting the puny CPU time

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Nnnnngh I'm getting crazy, didn't change anything, still reporting the puny CPU time

Uninstall BOINC and delete all the BOINC files and start again, that might fix it

Just now, leadeater said:

Uninstall BOINC and delete all the BOINC files and start again, that might fix it

Done that twice already, tried with the stable and beta,...

I'm at trying it within a VM at this point

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Done that twice already, tried with the stable and beta,...

I haven't tried it but there is also a flatpak as well

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

48 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

OK that's finally working. Damn was that a pain.

At least there's basically no VM overhead, 28 threads still about 31min/WU.

But yeah, Windows on the left - CPU time computed all wrong, Mint VM in Virtualbox on the right no problem.

image.thumb.png.657fd4d68e44a773c40d6122814a909f.png

I also threw another 6 threads on my Unraid server.

EDIT: FFS, the earlier units from Windows with the wrong CPU time got validated now and they have full credit, and about 20% more than the VM ones so I guess I need to switch back again...

F@H

GPD Win 2

58 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

EDIT: FFS, the earlier units from Windows with the wrong CPU time got validated now and they have full credit, and about 20% more than the VM ones so I guess I need to switch back again...

Maybe BOINC just hates you

It hates this machine for some reason, with the other 3 everything went smoothly, but of course it's by far the most powerful one and thus the one that really should be working...

F@H

GPD Win 2

You have to make sure the project reports your host as having run the benchmark. Then you have to download tasks after that since the tasks themselves are assigned the rated benchmar.

So if you don't run the benchmark, download tasks and run the benchmark, the tasks will still have the default benchmark numbers attached to them. So you'd need to abort them all and download new.

BOINC Team Member of TeAm AanandTech

BOINCGames.com - BOINC Competition all year long.

Yeah I was careful of that and they were all new. CPU time's still reported wrong but credit is correct.

https://rnma.xyz/boinc/results.php?hostid=14717&offset=0&show_names=0&state=4&appid=

The first 2 pages and some are after my trick to get the benchmark values sorted

I'm back on the host now that the VM had its assigned tasks done.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Hmm 3rd place next hour it seems? Others have increased output tho...

Wonder who'll have bunkered what in the other teams...

F@H

GPD Win 2

image.thumb.png.69c2b9e29ca23ccea716194f04c9f5e8.png

It is official, we've climbed to 3rd place in the City Run

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

12 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Wow damn, really didn't think we'd do it in time. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo

But have to keep it too though

49 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Congrats! Now you need to keep 3rd

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

32 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

Congrats! Now you need to keep 3rd

They need to take 2nd now lol

Let's goo LTT you can do it!

image.thumb.png.bc6249c43f664084543f322b48be3bd8.png

Soo uhhh, is there a way to request more tasks?

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Heat hack when you don't have AC, crack the hatch to the loft and the heat rises, reduced temps by around 5C 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, Lightwreather said:

image.thumb.png.bc6249c43f664084543f322b48be3bd8.png

Soo uhhh, is there a way to request more tasks?

Short answer no.

Long answer yes. You'll need to use multiple instances to download tasks on the same host. But you need to make the first (main) instance ready for multiple instances with the proper cc_config setting enabled. Then all the other extra instances will need this same cc_config entry, otherwise the project server will see all the other instances as the same instance and you'll start losing tasks as it'll think you lost them on one instance and not realize they're on another instance.

The line you need is this:

<allow_multiple_clients>1</allow_multiple_clients>

3 minutes ago, SkillzTA said:

Long answer yes. You'll need to use multiple instances to download tasks on the same host. But you need to make the first (main) instance ready for multiple instances with the proper cc_config setting enabled. Then all the other extra instances will need this same cc_config entry, otherwise the project server will see all the other instances as the same instance and you'll start losing tasks as it'll think you lost them on one instance and not realize they're on another instance.

Hmmm, alright. Thanks!

Is there a guide I could follow?

Older stuff:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Lightwreather said:

Hmmm, alright. Thanks!

Is there a guide I could follow?

multiple-boinc-clients-on-the-same-compu

For some reason the link isn't displaying correctly:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/multiple-boinc-clients-on-the-same-computer.2573424/

Bombardier reporting in,

Payload delivered successfully. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, SkillzTA said:

multiple-boinc-clients-on-the-same-compu

For some reason the link isn't displaying correctly:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/multiple-boinc-clients-on-the-same-computer.2573424/

Thanks!

Older stuff:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Lightwreather said:

Thanks!

For my Windows box (my gaming rig) I don't care to edit all that crap manually all the time. So I just make sure my primary instance has that cc_config entry then then when I want to make a new instance I just edit the boinc data directory and port and save this as a .bat file and execute it.

"c:\Program Files\BOINC\boinc.exe" --allow_multiple_clients --redirectio --detach_console --gui_rpc_port 31417 --dir C:\ProgramData\BOINC2
exit

The boinc data directory that needs to be unique for each instance in this case is the line c:\programdata\boinc2

The port for this instance is 31417 (The default port for the main instance is 31416)

No need to make a cc_config file for the extra instances as I enter the allow_multiple_clients param in the start line and assign the port as well.

So literally, after setting the cc_config.xml file to the correct setting once in the main instance I just create a directory I want the data files to be stored in, edit the above script, save it as a .bat and execute it. Then you can connect to it using the BOINC Manager, but you'll need to grab the gui password after the instance is started as it'll generate a random password for you.