3D print keeps failing, dont know why

Go to solution Solved by Idkwhattodowithmylife,
1 hour ago, dcgreen2k said:

3D printers are fine with that kind of shaking. It only becomes an issue if you have a large, top-heavy print.

Using a brim is a good idea. What filament material are you using and what temperature is your print bed set to?

Nvm it was defective pla I used different one and it works just fine

I have a sovol sv06 and im printing the file given below. I dont know why, but the print gets suck to the nozzle and gets dragged around while the filament pools up. I printed the 3D Benchy and it worked completely fine, but i dont know why this keeps failing, did i botch some settings?

SS_Body1.3mf

Here's what I see in the file you posted:

Spoiler

image.png.78054820d6ecb8a29536d20746b61cef.png

Are you printing it like how it's shown in the image? If so, then that's the source of your issues. The main problem is that you have a very large overhang - that's the long horizontal segment. 3D printers can't print out in the air like that without using supports. The second issue is that you have a small portion of the print touching the print bed relative to its size. This means your print is more likely to accidentally come off the print bed.

For the best chance of success, lay your model flat like this:

Spoiler

image.png.ccc9e438c7ce30e977fea7d20375f6fb.png

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

10 minutes ago, dcgreen2k said:

Here's what I see in the file you posted:

Hide contents

image.png.78054820d6ecb8a29536d20746b61cef.png

Are you printing it like how it's shown in the image? If so, then that's the source of your issues. The main problem is that you have a very large overhang - that's the long horizontal segment. 3D printers can't print out in the air like that without using supports. The second issue is that you have a small portion of the print touching the print bed relative to its size. This means your print is more likely to accidentally come off the print bed.

For the best chance of success, lay your model flat like this:

Hide contents

image.png.ccc9e438c7ce30e977fea7d20375f6fb.png

It is printing like the second picture, I think the file just glitched. I am also using brims. I put glue on the bed, but the print just keeps slipping. I think the printer is shaking too much, but I don’t know?

The print fails after the first few layers, so I think the bed is shaking too much from the initial zig zag that the printer does back and forth

To lay the foundation 

24 minutes ago, Idkwhattodowithmylife said:

The print fails after the first few layers, so I think the bed is shaking too much from the initial zig zag that the printer does back and forth

To lay the foundation 

3D printers are fine with that kind of shaking. It only becomes an issue if you have a large, top-heavy print.

28 minutes ago, Idkwhattodowithmylife said:

It is printing like the second picture, I think the file just glitched. I am also using brims. I put glue on the bed, but the print just keeps slipping. I think the printer is shaking too much, but I don’t know?

Using a brim is a good idea. What filament material are you using and what temperature is your print bed set to?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

Nvm it was defective pla I used different one and it works just fine

I don’t know how brims work, but the brim liens don’t even connect so what is the use?

1 hour ago, Idkwhattodowithmylife said:

I don’t know how brims work, but the brim liens don’t even connect so what is the use?

Brims make the print's first layer extend outward, to increase contact area with the print bed. This might be called something different in the software you're using.

Here's what a brim should look like, shown in blue. I'm using Ultimaker Cura as my slicer.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3d770a719b370515f3c578381fbf84dd.png

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

20 hours ago, dcgreen2k said:

Brims make the print's first layer extend outward, to increase contact area with the print bed. This might be called something different in the software you're using.

Here's what a brim should look like, shown in blue. I'm using Ultimaker Cura as my slicer.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.3d770a719b370515f3c578381fbf84dd.png

I’m using cura too and it shows as the same, but in the printer when printed the lines don’t connect

5 hours ago, Idkwhattodowithmylife said:

I’m using cura too and it shows as the same, but in the printer when printed the lines don’t connect

That's strange, could you post a picture of what your first layer looks like?

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

On 4/15/2024 at 7:45 PM, Idkwhattodowithmylife said:

Have you set the nozzle height (Z offset)? 

All of these symptoms suggest that your nozzle is too far from the bed and isnt pushing enough of the filament into the bed itself. 

Spoiler

OHAI: Open Hardware Assembly Instructions

How to Correctly Set a 3D Printer's Z-Offset | Tom's Hardware

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@Idkwhattodowithmylife Mind uploading a g-code file?

If the heatbed is defective the printer SHOULD trigger a thermal runaway error otherwise it is an issue/oversight Sovol should address in a timely manner with a firmware update.

People never go out of business.

On 4/18/2024 at 7:42 AM, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

@Idkwhattodowithmylife Mind uploading a g-code file?

If the heatbed is defective the printer SHOULD trigger a thermal runaway error otherwise it is an issue/oversight Sovol should address in a timely manner with a firmware update.

idk bc that is what they said, maybe they are mistaken? Anyway ill just get a kobra 2 form anycubic. Here is the gcode file

SS_Body1.gcode

;FLAVOR:Marlin
;TIME:8858
;Filament used: 7.75735m
;Layer height: 0.2
;MINX:64.516
;MINY:59.451
;MINZ:0.2
;MAXX:156.116
;MAXY:161.051
;MAXZ:30.4
;TARGET_MACHINE.NAME:SV06
;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 5.7.0
M140 S60
M105
M190 S60
M104 S200
M105
M109 S200

@Idkwhattodowithmylife Looks good.

M140 S60 sets the heatbed to 60°C.

M190 S60 means the printers waits till it the bed is heated to 60°C before continuing.

Does the heatbed warms up? 

Thermal runaway protection means that if a printer reads abnormal temperature values (e.g. -20°C if no thermistor is connected) or the temperature doesn't change  fast enough (e.g. thermistor is nolonger attached to the heatbed) it triggers and disables all heater and stops the movement.

People never go out of business.

43 minutes ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

@Idkwhattodowithmylife Looks good.

M140 S60 sets the heatbed to 60°C.

M190 S60 means the printers waits till it the bed is heated to 60°C before continuing.

Does the heatbed warms up? 

Thermal runaway protection means that if a printer reads abnormal temperature values (e.g. -20°C if no thermistor is connected) or the temperature doesn't change  fast enough (e.g. thermistor is nolonger attached to the heatbed) it triggers and disables all heater and stops the movement.

when i felt the bed, it felt the same temp as my hand, which is not good i think?

On 4/19/2024 at 3:50 PM, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

@Idkwhattodowithmylife Not good.

Do you want to troubleshoot this? If so I could walk you through.

Sorry for late response, on vacation. I returned the printer, I’ll just buy a new one. If it still has the same problem, then there is probably something wrong with my cura and my hands temperature response 🤣. I’ll buy a Kobra 2 from anycubic, is it a good printer?