[RUMOR][4CHAN][PSA] Watchdogs Torrent Has Hidden Mining Software Running in the Background

EChondo

I actually own a pirated Watch Dogs copy on my PC and have no problems playing it. TPTB was the releaser.

Instead of hating on me, let me explain. I live in Estonia - a low wealth country in Northern Europe. My mom raises me and my twin sister alone solely on a 400 euro budget. And not to forget, this doesnt include food, communal and other necessary expenses. I cant justify spending some of that money on a videogame. I am forced to pirate (I love gaming).

I am also finishing up high school and going to the university in the fall, so getting a seperate job for me is out of the question.

Good on your mom for being awesome. However, going to high school or starting university does not mean you cannot get or handle a part time job. You should, then give your mom half the money you earn, and spend the rest on games and fun stuff you want or need.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Good on your mom for being awesome. However, going to high school or starting university does not mean you cannot get or handle a part time job. You should, then give your mom half the money you earn, and spend the rest on games and fun stuff you want or need.

I actually do part time jobs whenever I can and give all my money to my mom. None for myself. And even the money I earned in the summer went for unified use, I kept none for me.

I actually own a pirated Watch Dogs copy on my PC and have no problems playing it. TPTB was the releaser.

Instead of hating on me, let me explain. I live in Estonia - a low wealth country in Northern Europe. My mom raises me and my twin sister alone solely on a 400 euro budget. And not to forget, this doesnt include food, communal and other necessary expenses. I cant justify spending some of that money on a videogame. I am forced to pirate (I love gaming).

I am also finishing up high school and going to the university in the fall, so getting a seperate job for me is out of the question.

No you're are not forced to pirate, you choose to because you lack moral fiber.

There's a damn fine truck in one of my towns local dealers that I'd really love to get my hands on, problem is there's no way in all hell I could ever afford it. My solution? I don't get it, that's all there is to it, I can't drive off with it for free simply because I don't have the money to indulge my own personal fancy.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

There's a damn fine truck in one of my towns local dealers that I'd really love to get my hands on, problem is there's no way in all hell I could ever afford it. My solution? I don't get it, that's all there is to it, I can't drive off with it for free simply because I don't have the money to indulge my own personal fancy.

Self-righteous much? 

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

I got it, and I don't have a 30% CPU use in my manager tab. Got it from kickass.to , so I the one with a virus is a re-upload. Also the original was deleted from kickass.to , maybe because of this?

lol I avoided this one because pre release cracks for PC games are highly fishy to me.

Good instincts.

Yes but it's from SKIDROW. And it's a re-upload by someone who inserted a virus. Stick to the popular crack groups and you will be fine.

Self-righteous much? 

Do you deny that simply lacking the funds to purchase frivolous novelties entitles one to them free of charge?

People worked to make this game so they would have the means to support themselves and their families, not to give you or anyone else free entertainment.

Anyway that's my opinion, just because someone cant afford the asking price doesn't mean their entitled to it, and saying they're forced to take it without paying is simply untrue.

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

Wait, so this just runs a mining program in the background while you're playing the game? Since people know it's there, why don't they just remove the mining client and play WatchDogs? Seems kind of flawed once people realise it's there.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

This is how pirates learn.

Yeah, learn to download from the right sources  B)

I wonder if Ubisoft and other devs would implement something similar to the following:

Pirate the game, but whenever it's running you're going to have multiple miners running, sending digital currency back to us.

Buy the game through an official distributor, no miners running.

If the game is running on an offline computer, just take up CPU resources. Run dummy threads, use more inefficient code, etc. Bog down their CPU unless the game is an official copy.

That is illegal

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Wait, so this just runs a mining program in the background while you're playing the game? Since people know it's there, why don't they just remove the mining client and play WatchDogs? Seems kind of flawed once people realise it's there.

Why would they make it easy to remove the mining client? It's there for a reason

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

Why would they make it easy to remove the mining client? It's there for a reason

True, but they might be relying on people not noticing it. Since it's been established that the version is a re-upload, I doubt the mining client is embedded into the games operation, I would be surprised if removing it actually stopped you from being able to play.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

Really if Ubisoft was behind this I would applaud them. Personally if I pirated the game I wouldn't mind them using a bit of my computers power to make up what I stole since my computer is at idle most of the time anyway. If this is legit I hope whoever did this somehow gives some/all of the gains to Ubisoft to makeup for all the pirates :)

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

So can anyone else verify this?

I have no problems or additional cpu usage at all.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

Even when i wouldn't pirate, I still couldn't buy the game. So this is way I wouldn't be helping anyone, myself nor the developer. The least I can do is provide something for my well being without any harm. How do I lack moral?

What kind of nubcake even bothers writing a malicious virus to mine Bitcoin from CPUs...?

Do you deny that simply lacking the funds to purchase frivolous novelties entitles one to them free of charge?

People worked to make this game so they would have the means to support themselves and their families, not to give you or anyone else free entertainment.

Anyway that's my opinion, just because someone cant afford the asking price doesn't mean their entitled to it, and saying they're forced to take it without paying is simply untrue.

I don't think anyone is entitled to anything. 

I'm not going to sit on my computer and judge people who download a video game illegally because they don't have any money.  I'm not perfect.  Apparently you are and don't do or never have done anything wrong.  Good for you.  You're a regular Jesus Christ. 

FYI, plenty of studies have shown that people who pirate things like this never would have bought the game to begin with so either way, Ubisoft loses. 

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

What a bunch of -STUPID- pirates.

Real ones like me wait until the game is released for a week :P

I'll make an analogy. Lets say that you work in a restaurant. You get an order and when its finally done and ready to be served, the client has left. By policies you are ought to just discard the food, but you are extremely hungry and you have to pay for your meals also. Wouldnt you just eat the food, which is just waiting to be thrown away?

Any use of torrented soft should be for trial purposes only if even that. I would never use the cracked soft and especially don't understand the people that do that on their main work/home PC. Claims as this topic where bitcoins are at risk - they should be, just like any data you expose on the machine. Silly.

I don't think anyone is entitled to anything. 

I'm not going to sit on my computer and judge people who download a video game illegally because they don't have any money.  I'm not perfect.  Apparently you are and don't do or never have done anything wrong.  Good for you.  You're a regular Jesus Christ. 

FYI, plenty of studies have shown that people who pirate things like this never would have bought the game to begin with so either way, Ubisoft loses. 

That's exactly the problem, if your aren't willing to pay for it leave it be.

As for being Jesus Christ... My mother would certainly like to believe I'm some saintly young gentleman but no, in fact when I was a child I literally just stole candy from my sisters my mother the store, if I could get my hands on it without paying why would I bother? That's the thing, I was a self entitled little bastard of a child and I grew up and learned some responsibility and manners, it's been quite some time since those days when I simply grabbed anything someone else left lying within my reach (because F$CK it) point is if you aren't willing to purchase the product don't use it at all.

I'll make an analogy. Lets say that you work in a restaurant. You get an order and when its finally done and ready to be served, the client has left. By policies you are ought to just discard the food, but you are extremely hungry and you have to pay for your meals also. Wouldnt you just eat the food, which is just waiting to be thrown away?

That's another matter entirely, it's an inappropriate comparison, one is something you need to simply survive and carries far more weight to its judgment, the other is entirely frivolous in nature not necessary to your survival in the least.

That's exactly the problem, if your aren't willing to pay for it leave it be.

As for being Jesus Christ... My mother would certainly like to believe I'm some saintly young gentleman but no, in fact when I was a child I literally just stole candy from my sisters my mother the store, if I could get my hands on it without paying why would I bother? That's the thing, I was a self entitled little bastard of a child and I grew up and learned some responsibility and manners, it's been quite some time since those days when I simply grabbed anything someone else left lying within my reach (because F$CK it) point is if you aren't willing to purchase the product don't use it at all.

That's another matter entirely, it's an inappropriate comparison, one is something you need to simply survive and carries far more weight to its judgment, the other is entirely frivolous in nature not necessary to your survival in the least.

Pointless to continue this. 

Pointless to continue this. 

Fair enough, it isn't my intention to harass anyone unnecessarily.

Get ready to get you mind rekt :D

I'm not a explicit supporter of piracy, but...

The publisher (in this case Ubisoft) already knows that the majority of the game copies will be pirated, so they factor that into the final retail price.

So its either: 1. 100% of gamers buys the game for $14.99

2. 20% of gamers buys the game for $59.99

Basically the guy that pays for the game is "buying" the game for a few pirates as well...they aren't loosing money, just look at how their studios are equipped...

It looks like only the paying customers are loosing, but they are keeping the market alive...

Thank god for Australias internet lol just deleted it was only half way done since yesterday :) why has kickass verified the torrent tho?

It's the TPB torrent. The one that was pocket dogs fake name is the legit one.

Your analogy is flawed because if you steal a truck, the original is removed from the real owner. When you pirate something, you create an identical copy.

So let me ask you this, if you had a handheld thing that could magically make an exact copy of the truck you want, the owner would not notice a damn thing and you would get a perfectly working truck, would you still think "if I can't afford it I won't get it"?

Remember, nobody would lose anything since you're already set on not getting it. If you decided to copy the truck then the only thing that would change would be that you would have a brand new truck. Nobody would lose a sale, nobody would lose something they own because it was stolen.

Side note: I'm not sure about everyone else, but I find it annoying that you write in italics and Times New Roman on this site. If other people also find it annoying then it would be nice if you could stop. It is a lot harder to read than the regular text.