[RUMOR][4CHAN][PSA] Watchdogs Torrent Has Hidden Mining Software Running in the Background

EChondo

I would like to advise all of you in this thread that once you speak your piece and someone disagrees with your stance, please be civil about it or take it to PM's. I don't care if you're for or against piracy, if you want to take this to an open debate in Off-Topic then go right ahead, but don't start a flamewar in my thread.

Thats why you need to go to the official skidrow wedsite you dont just search the web for free WD.I my self downloaded it ran it nothing happened  :D

Probably Ubisoft employees themselves have put the miner in there to punish the ones who pirate their game.
Love to see the install terms and conditions changed in the middle-end somewhere to "I hereby declare the permission to Ubisoft for installing and using a cryptocurrency miner in compensation for the development of this product/software which has been released without a sales cost"

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

It is wrong. You're not entitled to play it earlier.

I'm sick of the "everyone has different morals" deal with you. I don't care whether or not you're ok with it, you evidently do it enough to justify it to yourself. I think it's wrong and the law is on my side as is the majority of content consumers.

Crimes are not determined by whether or not they have victims. Most white collar crime is victimless as well, that doesn't make it ok.

I do find it annoying as well, however at this point it's verging on ad hominem and I think it's time to drop it.

Was directed to me? As the forum said you had quoted me but this quote is nonexistent. And it does sound like an argument towards my posts.

I would also like to stop this, but I'll just have to say that I never said that I find ok nor did I say that it legal.

I was just trying to say that the person does nit lack moral, he simply just has different ones.

I'm putting some words in his mouth but he said something like: you pirate because you lack moral fiber.

And I just wanted to address that.

p.s. I'm not looking for a fight and I have 0 problems with your argument.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

How does being watched in all likely hood without your knowledge harm you mentally? Such a situation has the potential to harm you not the certainty of it.

Are you for real? "It doesn't harm anyone as long as you're not caught so therefore it is okay!". What kind of logic is that? By the same logic, speeding is alright as long as you don't crash, or shooing a gun into a crowd of people is alright as long as it doesn't hit anyone.

Doing things which can physically or mentally harm someone else is not okay.

No taking that information caused no direct harm in it's own right, again with piracy no harm is committed simply by doing it but it can come about, for example I'd be willing to bet 90% of those who do it just want free shit, that's of course something that's impossible to know for sure however.

I don't even know what you're trying to say in the first 2/3 of this sentence. Are you talking about peeping? If you are then yes, the act of looking by itself is harmless but you can harm the other person if you are caught. You are putting someone else at risk which is wrong. Your 90% number is just pulled out of thin air, and completely ignores the fact that people who pirate often spend more money on entertainment than other people. "[...] some of it also comes from significantly higher legal purchases of digital music than their non-P2P using peers–around 30% higher among US P2P users."

And the same is true for movies as well: "Compared to those who buy only “legal” content these pirates spend more on movies (£35.57 vs £56.11), music (£43.31 vs £77.24) and TV (£8.28 vs £25.69)."

Last but not least since you were getting so up in arms about individual opinion on the matter of piracy and views on its state of ethicality I'm calling hypocrite on your statement regarding it being "harder to read" as I'm looking at your comment and mine side by side right this moment and having no trouble reading either. Lastly use all the normal text you want just keep in mind you're not pissing me off by doing so. (talk about pretentious)

Eh... What? Can you please elaborate how I am being a hypocrite because I really don't see it.

Saying that you can use whichever font you want but keep in mind that you are pissing people off is not pretentious because unlike you, I care what other people think. Me and many other people in this thread have said that Times New Roman is annoying and/or hard to read. I told you in a nice and respectable way that if more people than me found your text to be annoying, it would be nice if you could stop. Pretentious is when you try to claim higher importance than others for no reason. In this case, I asked you "hey, I don't like your font, and if other people dislike it too then it would be nice if you could stop using it". I gave my opinion, and said that if more people have the same then it would be nice if you could stop, for everyone's sake. You replied with things like "embracing individuality". You would rather try to be different than to help people out. Do you see how one is fairly humble (asking for others' opinion and asking nicely for you to change) and the other is pretentious (saying that you shouldn't have to change and be like everyone else just because a lot of people want it).

Again, do whatever you want but at least get off your high horse and be a bit more humble in the future.

I won't reply to more comments about fonts because it won't lead anywhere. I will read your reply (if you make one) though.

It is wrong. You're not entitled to play it earlier.

I'm sick of the "everyone has different morals" deal with you. I don't care whether or not you're ok with it, you evidently do it enough to justify it to yourself. I think it's wrong and the law is on my side as is the majority of content consumers.

Crimes are not determined by whether or not they have victims. Most white collar crime is victimless as well, that doesn't make it ok.

I never said I was entitled to play it early.

Why are you sick of "everyone has different morals"? It is true and it is what we are currently discussing. If the discussion was "is it illegal" then the obvious answer would be yes. We are arguing if it is wrong or not though (just because it is illegal does not mean it is bad, homosexuality in Russia is one example of this).

Actually, a lot of laws which used to make victimless crimes are now being abolished. Homosexuality is one example of this. Prostitution is being legalized in many countries because of the same reason as well. People do not exist to follow laws. Laws exist to protect the people. If nobody is being protected, why punish someone?

I haven't seen White Collar so maybe they have some great examples of horrible victimless crimes which would change my mind. It would be great if you could give a few examples but right now, I can't really think of any.

At the root of piracy is entitlement. People seem to think that because of the internet and the availability of digital copying they are now entitled to content whenever and however they want it just because it's available. I don't care if pirate torrents are "disrupting" the current business model, they don't provide a suitable alternative. Torrents have plenty of legitimate uses, many Linux projects and other *nix projects list official torrents so you can download their distros faster. I'm fine with that. I have no problem with BitTorrent technology, I think it's great and I understand just as much as you do about it, so don't try and pull that over me.

I don't think the root of piracy is entitlement, and neither does Notch, Gabe, the founders of Spotify and many more.

I think the root of it are poor business practices (like excessive amount of DLC, annoying DRM, distribution problems etc) and that's why we see many people stop pirating when they get access to things like NetFlix, Steam and Spotify. I believe people pirate because of these reasons, and not because they think they are entitled to have it for free. I pirate quite a lot of stuff. All except a tiny faction of my anime is pirated because it is the only way (short of learning Japanese, move to Japan and get a TV subscription there, and then record all the late night anime) for me to obtain it. I pirate certain TV shows like Top Gear even though I have subscriptions to all the Swedish channels they send it on, because I want to be able to watch it on my tablet while on the bus to school. I don't want to be locked to a certain time slot and only watch it in front of my TV. I had to pirate Diablo 2, a game I have literally bought 4 times, because they changed the formatting of the serial key so my old one did not work anymore (the newer discs requires a longer CD key than the ~2002 versions has). I have many many more examples of when I pirate stuff but you get the point. I rare, if ever, pirate because "I feel entitled to having it for free".

I don't really like the FSF by the way. I prefer the "open source movement" instead since I believe they are more about freedom

So your response is to steal the product? K.

Voting with your wallet and getting the game you wanted at the same time.

Voting with your wallet and getting the game you wanted at the same time.

With digital content, this is possible! :D

I find the whole 'morality of piracy' debate kinda weird.

Without consequence morality is just an empty notion. People pirate because they can, with no consequences. There is no perceived victim, it's extremely accessible, and it's socially accepted. You will not be outcast from society for downloading the new Game of Thrones. Humans don't have some intrinsic 'ethics' built into them that means they are averse to taking something they want for free. Morality is learnt behaviour, and you simply can't mould public opinion without consequence.

Well, i just want to know, how do i know that i have that bitcoinminer thingy and how can i delete it ?

This is old news guys... The mining software is easily locatable and can be deleted. Also the torrent is not actually created by SKIDROW. It's a rebrand of an other torrent. The guys who got burned by this are the ones who are too impatient to wait for the proper RELOADED or SKIDROW release. I am waiting for those releases  :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

This is old news guys... The mining software is easily locatable and can be deleted. Also the torrent is not actually created by SKIDROW. It's a rebrand of an other torrent. The guys who got burned by this are the ones who are too impatient to wait for the proper RELOADED or SKIDROW release. I am waiting for those releases  :)

But where is it located then ? and how can i find it ?

Piracy aside, how's the performance? Anyone with a 560ti tested it?

I have a 560 and I can run it on high...at 1680 x 1050 nevertheless.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I have a 560 and I can run it on high...at 1680 x 1050 nevertheless.

Do you maybe know where i can find that virus ?

But where is it located then ? and how can i find it ?

Read this post and follow the instructions :)

E3PedCc.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Read this post and follow the instructions :)

E3PedCc.png

Made an account to say these: I couldn't find any such folder in \Roaming.

I also couldn't find any performance eat ups or for that matter, winlogin.exe

So, is there any definitive proof that say otherwise?

Your analogy is flawed because if you steal a truck, the original is removed from the real owner. When you pirate something, you create an identical copy.

So let me ask you this, if you had a handheld thing that could magically make an exact copy of the truck you want, the owner would not notice a damn thing and you would get a perfectly working truck, would you still think "if I can't afford it I won't get it"?

Remember, nobody would lose anything since you're already set on not getting it. If you decided to copy the truck then the only thing that would change would be that you would have a brand new truck. Nobody would lose a sale, nobody would lose something they own because it was stolen.

Side note: I'm not sure about everyone else, but I find it annoying that you write in italics and Times New Roman on this site. If other people also find it annoying then it would be nice if you could stop. It is a lot harder to read than the regular text.

Your analogy is also flawed. If you could duplicate something of value without paying for it the item would loose value. Games cost more than they should and piracy factors in to this, would I trust the entertainment industry to lower prices if piracy would stop? No. But you have to factor in that the value of their product goes down and they somehow have to make it back. So I would say no side is right or wrong but you can't look at it in black and white terms.

I never said I was entitled to play it early.

Why are you sick of "everyone has different morals"? It is true and it is what we are currently discussing. If the discussion was "is it illegal" then the obvious answer would be yes. We are arguing if it is wrong or not though (just because it is illegal does not mean it is bad, homosexuality in Russia is one example of this).

Actually, a lot of laws which used to make victimless crimes are now being abolished. Homosexuality is one example of this. Prostitution is being legalized in many countries because of the same reason as well. People do not exist to follow laws. Laws exist to protect the people. If nobody is being protected, why punish someone?

I haven't seen White Collar so maybe they have some great examples of horrible victimless crimes which would change my mind. It would be great if you could give a few examples but right now, I can't really think of any.

I don't think the root of piracy is entitlement, and neither does Notch, Gabe, the founders of Spotify and many more.

I think the root of it are poor business practices (like excessive amount of DLC, annoying DRM, distribution problems etc) and that's why we see many people stop pirating when they get access to things like NetFlix, Steam and Spotify. I believe people pirate because of these reasons, and not because they think they are entitled to have it for free. I pirate quite a lot of stuff. All except a tiny faction of my anime is pirated because it is the only way (short of learning Japanese, move to Japan and get a TV subscription there, and then record all the late night anime) for me to obtain it. I pirate certain TV shows like Top Gear even though I have subscriptions to all the Swedish channels they send it on, because I want to be able to watch it on my tablet while on the bus to school. I don't want to be locked to a certain time slot and only watch it in front of my TV. I had to pirate Diablo 2, a game I have literally bought 4 times, because they changed the formatting of the serial key so my old one did not work anymore (the newer discs requires a longer CD key than the ~2002 versions has). I have many many more examples of when I pirate stuff but you get the point. I rare, if ever, pirate because "I feel entitled to having it for free".

I don't really like the FSF by the way. I prefer the "open source movement" instead since I believe they are more about freedom

You say you don't think the root of piracy is entitlement, and then say you pirate anime because you don't want to have to actually go to Japan to get it. You do realize that people used to actually do that, right? People actually used to have to go out of their way to get things. Imagine, our parents couldn't even record television! They had to watch it when it came on!

You feel that you're entitled to anime in your language (for free), TV when you want to see it (for free), and Diablo (for free). I frankly don't care that you have to go to Japan to get anime, and neither does the rest of the world. Tough cookies. Do it if you want it that badly. The world is not obligated to give you these things when and how you want them. That's not how the free market works. If you want something badly, you buy it, or make it yourself. You don't subvert the system by downloading it for free online and then act like you're an anti-establishment hero who's fighting the good fight against DRM.

Here's why I'm sick of the "my morals" thing. It has no value to anyone but yourself. Back when my grandparents were growing up, I can assure you that everyone short of the criminals themselves would call piracy theft and agree that it was wrong. But these days, this sense of entitlement has set in. You can't just pirate stuff whenever you want it. You don't deserve and nobody owes to to you.

I wasn't talking about the TV show White Collar, it's an actual classification of crime. It's often perpetrated by wealthy people and banks. Money laundering, for example, is a white collar crime that is victimless to the same extent that piracy is, and I'd even argue that piracy isn't. 

On the same thread, copyright laws protect the creator. At least, that's the way it has been since 1923. You seem to think that copyright has never and will never protect anyone. Copyright is what makes people's creations a valid good, otherwise they are commoditized and they have no way to make money. Art is a matter of life and death, (not my words) and the creator deserves their due.

Addendum included below:

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Was directed to me? As the forum said you had quoted me but this quote is nonexistent. And it does sound like an argument towards my posts.

I would also like to stop this, but I'll just have to say that I never said that I find ok nor did I say that it legal.

I was just trying to say that the person does nit lack moral, he simply just has different ones.

I'm putting some words in his mouth but he said something like: you pirate because you lack moral fiber.

And I just wanted to address that.

p.s. I'm not looking for a fight and I have 0 problems with your argument.

Thanks for the heads up. Your quote wasn't actually in the final post, I guess the forum glitched. Sorry! Glad to know I have someone else on my side :D

I find the whole 'morality of piracy' debate kinda weird.

Without consequence morality is just an empty notion. People pirate because they can, with no consequences. There is no perceived victim, it's extremely accessible, and it's socially accepted. You will not be outcast from society for downloading the new Game of Thrones. Humans don't have some intrinsic 'ethics' built into them that means they are averse to taking something they want for free. Morality is learnt behaviour, and you simply can't mould public opinion without consequence.

My thoughts exactly. If you had the creator in the same room as you while you were pirating, would you continue?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I would like to advise all of you in this thread that once you speak your piece and someone disagrees with your stance, please be civil about it or take it to PM's. I don't care if you're for or against piracy, if you want to take this to an open debate in Off-Topic then go right ahead, but don't start a flamewar in my thread.

Last multi-post, I promise.

Sorry about my posts. I'm going to start a thread in off topic.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I have no problem pirating stuff from big multinationals like Microsoft, Apple and EA.

Why? They shift their revenues around to Ireland or some other tax haven and pay almost nothing in taxes to Governments that everyone else has too. They're dishonest in their business dealings and serves them right.

My 2c. Obviously I pay for things such as music, DVDs etc majority of games. I did pirate Matlab as the student version isn't sold in my country and $3500 for software that is practically a requirement for uni is unfair.

Made an account to say these: I couldn't find any such folder in \Roaming.

I also couldn't find any performance eat ups or for that matter, winlogin.exe

So, is there any definitive proof that say otherwise?

The thing is that only some of the users report this kind of problem, while others don't. Perhaps it is system dependent or there is something in the installation procedure. I am not 100% sure if that's what you are asking, because I haven't personally downloaded this torrent. If you don't observe any performance hit than that is good for you. 

Other than that, is this game running smoothly at lest on your computer, because some also report lag while driving, etc which probably caused by a bad crack. 

My thoughts exactly. If you had the creator in the same room as you while you were pirating, would you continue?

Out of common courtesy, I'm guessing most people would not. Regardless it's a moot point, it's a hypothetical.

I have a pragmatic view of piracy. Given that it's almost impossible to curb using the *stick*, the only solution is to use the *carrot*. Legal alternatives must be more compelling. Which generally means make the content more affordable and easier to access. The gaming industry is in a privileged position too, access to updates, new content, servers and on-line play are all compelling reasons not to pirate.

It's funny your previous post mentions 'entitlement', it reminded me of the London Riots a few years ago. The general population has been so bombarded with marketing and adverts, that a large chunk of society just function as 'consumers'. They are so good at making us want things (things we don't need). When the young Londoners rioted, they didn't use the brief period of anarchy to protest and make a stand, they took the opportunity to loot the high street and steal iPads and TVs. That is what freedom has come to mean, being able to 'buy the shit you want'.

For people that cannot afford to buy all these things they are constantly told they must have. I completely understand why it might feel like a 'freedom' or a 'noble cause' to be able to access these things for free. Which to me is less about a 'sense of entitlement' and more a sad reflection of our consumerist society. I think it's too simple to just write this off as entitlement, without understanding the root causes.

Your analogy is also flawed. If you could duplicate something of value without paying for it the item would loose value. Games cost more than they should and piracy factors in to this, would I trust the entertainment industry to lower prices if piracy would stop? No. But you have to factor in that the value of their product goes down and they somehow have to make it back. So I would say no side is right or wrong but you can't look at it in black and white terms.

No analogy is 100% accurate but in this case the fact that it's not accurate is in my favor, since duplicating a car might reduce the value of other cars (making them less rare etc). That does not apply to things like digital games.

Games have always been pretty expensive. If you look back a few decades and factor in inflation then I am pretty sure games haven't gotten that much more expensive, even though piracy for stuff like the NES was next to 0. I call bullshit on the whole "baww games are expensive because people pirate them!". Games are expensive because people still buy them when they are expensive. Want cheaper games? Pirate more and publishers will be forced to lower the prices to attract more customers. As long as people still buy the games, they will continue to charge as much or more for them.

Oh course no side is right or wrong. That's why I have mentioned morals over and over again. Some thing it is a horrible crime and I don't think it's a big deal.

No analogy is 100% accurate but in this case the fact that it's not accurate is in my favor, since duplicating a car might reduce the value of other cars (making them less rare etc). That does not apply to things like digital games.

Games have always been pretty expensive. If you look back a few decades and factor in inflation then I am pretty sure games haven't gotten that much more expensive, even though piracy for stuff like the NES was next to 0. I call bullshit on the whole "baww games are expensive because people pirate them!". Games are expensive because people still buy them when they are expensive. Want cheaper games? Pirate more and publishers will be forced to lower the prices to attract more customers. As long as people still buy the games, they will continue to charge as much or more for them.

Oh course no side is right or wrong. That's why I have mentioned morals over and over again. Some thing it is a horrible crime and I don't think it's a big deal.

Do you buy any games or do you pirate them all?

Out of common courtesy, I'm guessing most people would not. Regardless it's a moot point, it's a hypothetical.

I have a pragmatic view of piracy. Given that it's almost impossible to curb using the *stick*, the only solution is to use the *carrot*. Legal alternatives must be more compelling. Which generally means make the content more affordable and easier to access. The gaming industry is in a privileged position too, access to updates, new content, servers and on-line play are all compelling reasons not to pirate.

It's funny your previous post mentions 'entitlement', it reminded me of the London Riots a few years ago. The general population has been so bombarded with marketing and adverts, that a large chunk of society just function as 'consumers'. They are so good at making us want things (things we don't need). When the young Londoners rioted, they didn't use the brief period of anarchy to protest and make a stand, they took the opportunity to loot the high street and steal iPads and TVs. That is what freedom has come to mean, being able to 'buy the shit you want'.

For people that cannot afford to buy all these things they are constantly told they must have. I completely understand why it might feel like a 'freedom' or a 'noble cause' to be able to access these things for free. Which to me is less about a 'sense of entitlement' and more a sad reflection of our consumerist society. I think it's too simple to just write this off as entitlement, without understanding the root causes.

It is a hypothetical. However I do believe it illustrates a common mindset of the pirate, and it is certainly easier to wrong someone when you can't see them and probably never will.

I can't tell whether you think I'm saying freedom is "buy the shit you want." I happened to be in London the time the riots happened, and I still don't quite understand what happened. I find it hard to tell which side you're on, whether you're saying I think you should be forced to buy things or whether you agree with me. I certainly don't think that's what freedom means, and personally, I have some fairly radical views about what people are and are not entitled to. I think creators are entitled to the fruits of their labor if they so choose to sell it, and if they do, I do not believe the market has the obligation to provide you with what you want.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /