Forum page downloaded instead of opening a new tab

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

I think this is more likely to be an issue on the browser side than on the forum side, so unless you can repro this on a supported OS+browser combo I don't think there's much we can do.

Browser, version and OS: 

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Edge 109.0.1518 (latest for 7)

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Ctrl-clicked to open a new page

What happened?

Page was downloaded as an HTML file instead of opening in a new tab

What did you expect to happen?

I expected the topic to open in a new tab rather than onto my hard drive

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Forums - Linus Tech Tips

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

image.thumb.png.76aaab8bc89e9e55326f1a921d60e8a1.png

(This is of course after opening the .htm file)

image.thumb.png.08b6f9631529d295638ac95526ed57dc.png

Any other relevant details:

I was using a rather old capacitive touch display that is sometimes not the most accurate. My only thought is that somehow the digitizer may have pressed a button I never intended to, but there was no popup nor menu nor "Save As".

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page?

Are you on Vista/Win7?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Just now, da na said:

Yes, Windows 7 Ultimate as mentioned

Thanks. Missed that in the bug report. I assume you have a very good reason for having such a dangerously outdated machine connected to the internet

Can you reproduce the error?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 minute ago, OddOod said:

I assume you have a very good reason for having such a dangerously outdated machine connected to the internet

just vibin | Quit Having Fun | Know Your Meme

1 minute ago, OddOod said:

Can you reproduce the error?

It happened again a few minutes ago. 

I think this is more likely to be an issue on the browser side than on the forum side, so unless you can repro this on a supported OS+browser combo I don't think there's much we can do.

HTTP/2 203

6 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

No, the problem is clearly the forum and not my 20-year-old computer on an OS that's been unsupported for 4 years

/s

the real problem here is you using edge

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

Don't mean to give any offense or anything like that; ik edge has changed its base to chromium which is much better but have you ever wondered that GPT 4 is paid and yet on Bing chat/copilot is not paid too even though it uses gpt4? Not to mention it is very bloated especially on the homepage with all the obscure "news" on it and the UI is very counter intuitive. You might as well use opera/opera GX instead of edge. Again I mean NO OFFENSE browser choice is always very subjective but this is just IMO.  @da na

1 minute ago, goatedpenguin said:

Don't mean to give any offense or anything like that; ik edge has changed its base to chromium which is much better but have you ever wondered that GPT 4 is paid and yet on Bing chat/copilot is not paid too even though it uses gpt4? Not to mention it is very bloated especially on the homepage with all the obscure "news" on it and the UI is very counter intuitive. You might as well use opera/opera GX instead of edge. Again I mean NO OFFENSE browser choice is always very subjective but this is just IMO.  @da na

It syncs pages between devices, and all of the bloat can be disabled. 

Copilot on Bing is worse than the GPT site in the little experience I have with it because Bing chat does not do markup correctly - if ChatGPT wants to make something italic it'll actually come out as italicised, on Bing chat it just has </i> or something around the text.

Thank you for picking the browser to argue about, though! Yes, Edge is stinky. Started using it when it was an IE-based unbloated browser and now I have it on 40 computers and switching would be a pain in the ass. So, thanks for not smashing out a wall of text on why I should go to jail for using Windows 7.

11 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

11 hours ago, da na said:

It syncs pages between devices, and all of the bloat can be disabled. 

Copilot on Bing is worse than the GPT site in the little experience I have with it because Bing chat does not do markup correctly - if ChatGPT wants to make something italic it'll actually come out as italicised, on Bing chat it just has </i> or something around the text.

Thank you for picking the browser to argue about, though! Yes, Edge is stinky. Started using it when it was an IE-based unbloated browser and now I have it on 40 computers and switching would be a pain in the ass. So, thanks for not smashing out a wall of text on why I should go to jail for using Windows 7.

i only use edge when i want to use gpt 4 for free lol

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

On 4/6/2024 at 10:20 AM, djksm said:

i only use edge when i want to use gpt 4 for free lol

i only use chatgpt when i want to talk to something that hallucinates more than i do

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.